Are there any tricks to surviving hot flashes

Options
2»

Comments

• curecancer
    curecancer Member Posts: 8
    Options

Are there any tricks to surviving hot flashes
    Hi Janelle.....I started arimidex 12/26/09 & have suffered through some(to me)extreme hot flashes...I have found that if I'm home, I can eat half of a double popsicle & that will stop the hot flash. I also keep a bottle of ice water on my desk @ work & that helps...along with the fan blowing on my face.....mine seem mostly neck & head...you can actually feel heat coming off the back of my head...I'm surprised my hair hasn't cought on fire..lol......think it all boils down to something we will have to endure the best we can......I keep a icy cold wash cloth in a bowl on nightstand @ night & when I have one during night, I will put the cloth on the nape of my neck & that seems to help a lot..along with the ceiling fan......good luck & know you have a lot of sisters rowing this boat right along with you....hoping you find a solution that works for you.....Margaret

Sisters of the Hot Flashes!!!
    Oh my gosh....It's amazing that others feel the same way I do. You all are on the right track though,thats for sure. I had been on aromasin for 7 years and before that total hysterectomy. I remember the first hot flash, I was standing next to a tree at a campfire drinking a glass of wine and literally slid down the tree to my knees. I said oh no, this is what they were talking about! Something had to be done. The effexor did help alot, fans, ice bowl with a washcloth at night for my neck, freezer whenever walking by. I love spicy food too, so make sure I have lots of ice water for that. The flashes will probably always be with me. I did go off the aromasin in November because of too much joint pain. The doctor does not approve of that either however, I just couldn't live like that anymore.
    Keep smiling.....at least we don't look pale right?
    God Bless you all,
    Patty
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Sisters of the Hot Flashes!!!
    Oh my gosh....It's amazing that others feel the same way I do. You all are on the right track though,thats for sure. I had been on aromasin for 7 years and before that total hysterectomy. I remember the first hot flash, I was standing next to a tree at a campfire drinking a glass of wine and literally slid down the tree to my knees. I said oh no, this is what they were talking about! Something had to be done. The effexor did help alot, fans, ice bowl with a washcloth at night for my neck, freezer whenever walking by. I love spicy food too, so make sure I have lots of ice water for that. The flashes will probably always be with me. I did go off the aromasin in November because of too much joint pain. The doctor does not approve of that either however, I just couldn't live like that anymore.
    Keep smiling.....at least we don't look pale right?
    God Bless you all,
    Patty

Night Sweats
    I went for my 9th herceptin treatment yesterday, and called UNCLE with the night sweats. I wasn't sleeping, awake every hour and miserable during the day. My oncol. put me on Effexor for the sweats with the side benefit of being an anit-depressent. Hope it works because my sense of humor of all this has left the building.

Sher
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

Night Sweats
    I went for my 9th herceptin treatment yesterday, and called UNCLE with the night sweats. I wasn't sleeping, awake every hour and miserable during the day. My oncol. put me on Effexor for the sweats with the side benefit of being an anit-depressent. Hope it works because my sense of humor of all this has left the building.

Sher

speaking of effexor ...
    I was on antidepressants before my diagnosis ... but after surgery, chemo and radiation it was time for me to start tamoxifen ... so my oncologist switched me from my zoloft and wellbuturin to effexor. I've been doing fine with that as far as the depression goes ... and it may also be helping with the hot flashes some people get with tamoxifen. One more thing was ... I asked the oncologist if I could take half of the tamoxifen in the morning and half at night. So that's what I'm doing ... and so far all I get are a few "warm flashes" ... nothing even close to the hot flashes I had with menapause (sp?) ... when all I wanted to do was rip my clothes off and jump in a freezer!

hugs.
    teena
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Just saw a study at Army of Women
    regarding breathing techniques being used to manage hot flashes. You might want to check out the Army of Women website and sign up if you're in the area.

I encourage everyone to check out that website anyway. There are opportunities to participate it a lot of studies being done just for women like us, or to help women from becoming like us.

Cindy
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Definitely wearing natural
    Definitely wearing natural fabrics helps. I was always one to wear warm sweaters in the winter, but with the hot flashes, I swithed to long sleeve cotton tops and thermals. I was never cold, yet the cotton kept my skin dry and more comfortable during flashes.

Also drinking a lot of water seems to help. Stress seemed to bring on flashes for me so I tried to avoid worry. Tamoxifen definitely caused my flashes, but after the first 3 years, they have almost stopped completely. Good luck!
  • StarWish624
    StarWish624 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Just me
    In truth, I am afraid to wear blusher lately. My red cheeks from the hot flashes are too much, already. Add blusher, and WOW!
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    menopause hot flashes
    I don't know if menopause hot flashes are like the medication induced hot flashes. I am not on the meds. But, I was already having hot flashes before having my ovaries removed last week. I found taking magnesium (brand name slo-mag 2 tabs daily)has helped a ton. I was waking up 20-30 times a night with hot flashes prior to starting the magnesium. Now it is just a few times a night. I wouldn't start it without clearing it with your MD but, it might be worth a try.

El
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Ugh!
    Skin can't touch skin, that's for sure. I have the sheet tucked here and there. Hubby better be as far away as he can - to the edge of the bed, if necessary. The cats & dogs get pushed off, too.

I keep a glass of water by the bed at night. I have purchased a couple items that have helped (from QVC) - one is a set of gel filled bandana like things that you soak in cold water then wear around your neck and the other (I LOVE this one) is a Cool Touch Pad that works against your body heat - the warmer you get, the cooler the pad. I sleep on it at night and I sit on it at the office.

Air cond in summer, sometimes winter!. A fan all year, Walmart has a nice little one for my desk that I can aim at my neck/face and it doesn't blow paperwork everywhere. I almost always run a fan when blow drying my hair.

Lukewarm/cool showers & air drying (in front of the fan on high).

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Hubby says I've always been a hot chick and then laughs, argh!!!

Sue
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

Just saw a study at Army of Women
    regarding breathing techniques being used to manage hot flashes. You might want to check out the Army of Women website and sign up if you're in the area.

I encourage everyone to check out that website anyway. There are opportunities to participate it a lot of studies being done just for women like us, or to help women from becoming like us.

Cindy

Proud member of the Army of Women!
    I saw that study too, Cindy -- I sure wish I lived in Indianapolis, and could participate in that study!

To follow up on Teena's post -- my doctor had me first start taking Tamoxifen at night, and I got wicked hot flashes starting the 2nd night I took it. My doctor actually suggested that I instead take the entire pill in the morning, and that has helped tremendously.

Traci
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Same for Me
    I do basically the same thing you are doing. Covers off, covers on. Not much fun for sure.

Hugs

Donna

I don't have hot flashes,
    I don't have hot flashes, but, if I do...lots of good tips here. Hope yours get better Janelle.

Leeza
  • katznc
    katznc Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hot Hot Hot!
    I went through natural(sort of) menopause in my 40's. I had what I call the deep burn, starts in the stomach and works its way up to my neck. Also had the head and neck ones during the day and night sweats. Went on hormones. Tried to wean off hormones every year for 5 years and it never worked they all came back. Now I am off off hormones obviously and they are back again. YoYo no sleep etc. The deep burn seems to be set off when I lay down in bed so I try putting just a sheet for awhile. At work a little fan although there really isn't much mcuh to do but ride them out. Two light layers on top lets one wick and the other keeps you from freezing after you've been flapping the sheets. One day I was having a head and neck flash talking to one of the really sweet good looking younger guys and had a major head and neck. I was so upset I started waving paper in front of my face and said excuse me I'm having a vulcano moment and he laughed and I laughed and I realized that if you don't fight them they usually are shorter time and shorter recovery. So to make a long story short even at night when I wake up I just do slow breathing and relax and they seem not to be so long or severe. Can't wait to start that Tamoxifen LOL
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options

menopause hot flashes
    I don't know if menopause hot flashes are like the medication induced hot flashes. I am not on the meds. But, I was already having hot flashes before having my ovaries removed last week. I found taking magnesium (brand name slo-mag 2 tabs daily)has helped a ton. I was waking up 20-30 times a night with hot flashes prior to starting the magnesium. Now it is just a few times a night. I wouldn't start it without clearing it with your MD but, it might be worth a try.

El

I am taking Magnesium
    I take magnesium. How much do you take?

Janelle
  • Bee718
    Bee718 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Flashes
    Janelle,

I was on Arimidex for 18 months . . . The Effexor really did help. It does not add any estrogen, which is what I had to avoid.
    (Also, I'm supposed to stay far away from Soy Milk, mentioned above. It depends on your pathology, I'm sure.)

I kept cold water near, always had a little fan on low. It almost seemed like still air set them off for me, not heat. Fan was on in all seasons. My feet were always just slightly sticking out of the covers. If my feet get hot -- I'm off to the flash races. I wear things
    to bed that I can get off quickly. And of course, avoid all alcohol. Darn, I missed my Pinot Grigio! All the best!