Question on Brac Test

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Last week they did the blood work for the test. My question is, if it turns out I am positive besides my ovaries will I have to have a mastectomy now to. I did not think to ask that question.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Hi Kat
    I gave blood last week and waiting for results as you. I was told if it comes positive that ovaries need to be remove within one to two months. For breast you have a choice to think, but need to be closely watched and monitored every six months.
    Good luck
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Hi Kat
    I gave blood last week and waiting for results as you. I was told if it comes positive that ovaries need to be remove within one to two months. For breast you have a choice to think, but need to be closely watched and monitored every six months.
    Good luck

Thank you flower. You know I
    Thank you flower. You know I am a bit scared. My Dx was last April and surgery lumpectomy was in June, so I have had the ovaries for a while.
  • chrisorpinel
    chrisorpinel Member Posts: 8
    Kat11 said:

Thank you flower. You know I
    Thank you flower. You know I am a bit scared. My Dx was last April and surgery lumpectomy was in June, so I have had the ovaries for a while.

i was tested positve for the
    i was tested positve for the brac gene. Even though i was Stage 1 breast cancer. my doctors all agreed that i needed to have a double masectomy, if i had only removed the breast that had the lump then i was at a higher risk of getting breast cancer again in the other breast, and i did not want to go thru this again. I chose to have the double mastecomy and im glad i did. the doctors and i and my husband also discussed the removal of the overies. they said that i could wait a while if i wanted but they would need to eventually come out. my husband and i were not going to have any kids. (i have one(boy 14) and he has one(girl 27)) so the decision was to have a total hysterecomy with the overies removed. i planned this surgery 3 weeks prior to my double mastecomy. now with everything removed. i don't have periods!!!! whoooo hoooo... i do get heat flashes but i was already having those when i was going thru chemo. If you are tested positive it is, i think a good idea to talk to all your doctors about all the surgeries that you need to have. as of today, i have a 1/16 of a 1% chance of ever getting cancer back. I am a 34 year old woman and i expect to live a long life.

im new to this website and so far i love it. we as women need somewhere to vent to other women that hae gone thru similiar experiences dealing with bc. my husband tells me all the time that "C" has changed me.. and i know it has, im a much stronger person then i was before. i would love to here the outcome of what you have decided. Good Luck and keep us SISTERS posted.

God Bless

Christine