Cannot swallow and losing voice BEFORE treatment ~HELP~ Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cancer

Options
java_girl
java_girl Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Hi, I'm looking for some info for my dad, 67 yr old, that diagnosed with Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cancer at stage 3/early 4 back in Oct 2009. He refused to get regular chemo and radiation treatment and now he started losing his voice and cannot swallow anything. Now, even though it seems too late, he decided to get the treatment.

The doctor who first diagnosed him told us that once he lost his voice and cannot swallow, those two condition cannot be reversed (treated). Has anybody here had the same experience?
He's now been fed through the tubes (nose) but it's so hard to keep his weight. I'm kinda worried that he might not survived the chemo & radiation since he cannot even get proper nutrition/maintain the weight for his body.
Any input/suggestion?

Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Feeding
    My PEG has nothing to do with the nose, Java- the tube is a direct line into my stomach near my belly button. Takes a minor surgery to get, but it worth it. And, there is stuff called "formula" that is highly-concentrated with good nutrition to be put into the tube. Even with it put in before any treatment, I still lost 17% of my body weight. Would ask you to inquire of your Dr. about the traditional feeding tube, like I got all my nutrition thru for seven-weeks during treatment. Weight loss is common, you must understand. And the importance of Nutrition is so-very critical. My voice was reduced to a whisper for much of my treatment time, but did come back.

There are a number of us NPC vets active in this ACS forum. I was only 54 when I went thru my treatment, and the age thing is a complication with the Chemo, as is the state of the C in your Dad. The combo of Chemo&Rad provides an excellent chance for survival of NPC, as we are all testimony to. I take it your Drs. are not talking about a surgery, so it would seem his best shot is as aggessive a C&R as he can physically tolerate. I do hope you are near a major medical center, and your Drs. have a lot of experience. If not- perhaps you should see about getting hooked-up with such a place. Would be very interested in learning of the med center you are going to. U of Iowa for me.

kcass
  • java_girl
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Feeding
    My PEG has nothing to do with the nose, Java- the tube is a direct line into my stomach near my belly button. Takes a minor surgery to get, but it worth it. And, there is stuff called "formula" that is highly-concentrated with good nutrition to be put into the tube. Even with it put in before any treatment, I still lost 17% of my body weight. Would ask you to inquire of your Dr. about the traditional feeding tube, like I got all my nutrition thru for seven-weeks during treatment. Weight loss is common, you must understand. And the importance of Nutrition is so-very critical. My voice was reduced to a whisper for much of my treatment time, but did come back.

There are a number of us NPC vets active in this ACS forum. I was only 54 when I went thru my treatment, and the age thing is a complication with the Chemo, as is the state of the C in your Dad. The combo of Chemo&Rad provides an excellent chance for survival of NPC, as we are all testimony to. I take it your Drs. are not talking about a surgery, so it would seem his best shot is as aggessive a C&R as he can physically tolerate. I do hope you are near a major medical center, and your Drs. have a lot of experience. If not- perhaps you should see about getting hooked-up with such a place. Would be very interested in learning of the med center you are going to. U of Iowa for me.

kcass

Blood work & Diet question
    Hi Kent, thanks so much for your input! The thing is I live here in GA as my parents live in Indonesia. I just talked with my mom about the PEG but the Drs. there recommend the tubes that inserted through the nostrils and PEG is more of a second option. Wonder why. I missed the "formula" stuff, I will let her know about it.

I'm trying to help them by getting as much information as I could since I know how not reliable medical there. Their radiation machine broke down on the day my dad was scheduled last week and it's still not fixed yet. And this is happening in a big hospital, in a capital city.

Btw, my dad's blood work came back today and showed that his thrombocytes, leukocyte and Hemoglobin dropped, below than normal range. Is this something common to people with NPC?

Also, what is the best diet for NPC? I thought being a vegetarian would be the best option but my mom insisted that white meats are ok.

Thanks!
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    java_girl said:

Blood work & Diet question
    Hi Kent, thanks so much for your input! The thing is I live here in GA as my parents live in Indonesia. I just talked with my mom about the PEG but the Drs. there recommend the tubes that inserted through the nostrils and PEG is more of a second option. Wonder why. I missed the "formula" stuff, I will let her know about it.

I'm trying to help them by getting as much information as I could since I know how not reliable medical there. Their radiation machine broke down on the day my dad was scheduled last week and it's still not fixed yet. And this is happening in a big hospital, in a capital city.

Btw, my dad's blood work came back today and showed that his thrombocytes, leukocyte and Hemoglobin dropped, below than normal range. Is this something common to people with NPC?

Also, what is the best diet for NPC? I thought being a vegetarian would be the best option but my mom insisted that white meats are ok.

Thanks!

Diet, etc.
    Hondo and Scam are the authorities on diet, along with Joe. I am a salad-freak.

Good to know where your Dad is. Scam is in your Dad's vicinity. His area has more NPC than we do in America, and you might wanna send a Private Message on this site to Scam- will not disappoint you= trust me.

Scam, Hondo, and all agree with me on how critical the Nutrition is, Java. The body needs it, bigtime, to fight the best fight possible. There may be reasons for your Drs. advising the tubes down the nose, but my experience is otherwise. I got the big tube in the gut, and that PEG and formula became known as blessings to me.

Again, Java- send Scam a PM: let him be the one to be your best advisor. I, and all, trust him. Thus, trust him, and know that with him- we are all with you, and your Dad, and Mom. Let him know, Java. Contact Scam by PM with all the questions and details he needs.

Believe

kcass
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Java girl
    Diet and Nutrition are both very important but right now the main forces is just to keep him alive, once he starts treatment and has no more taste he will just about want to stop eating all together. So for now just focus on letting the radiation and Chemo do there thing. Once he is clear then work on his diet to help his body help its self.

I am a little over 5 years passed my last treatment for NPC but I started this fight with NPC back in 2002 and believe me what you eat has a lot to do with how you heal.

Keep us posted on your Dad progress, NPC is an easy Cancer to survive, Like Kent said there are a lot of us here and we will do all we can to help you help your Dad
  • java_girl
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Java girl
    Diet and Nutrition are both very important but right now the main forces is just to keep him alive, once he starts treatment and has no more taste he will just about want to stop eating all together. So for now just focus on letting the radiation and Chemo do there thing. Once he is clear then work on his diet to help his body help its self.

I am a little over 5 years passed my last treatment for NPC but I started this fight with NPC back in 2002 and believe me what you eat has a lot to do with how you heal.

Keep us posted on your Dad progress, NPC is an easy Cancer to survive, Like Kent said there are a lot of us here and we will do all we can to help you help your Dad

Thanks
    Kent, Hondo, thanks a lot for your input. I guess I was influenced by reading an article about "alkaline", gave me an impression that being a vegetarian will fight the cancer cells better but I think you're right, Hondo, the main focus now is to keep him alive and diet itself won't help him cure the NPC.

Will PM Scam. Thanks again!
  • Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    java_girl said:

Thanks
    Kent, Hondo, thanks a lot for your input. I guess I was influenced by reading an article about "alkaline", gave me an impression that being a vegetarian will fight the cancer cells better but I think you're right, Hondo, the main focus now is to keep him alive and diet itself won't help him cure the NPC.

Will PM Scam. Thanks again!

NEWS from Java Girl
    Hi Java girl,

I hope things are going OK for your dad. Send a note to let us know how you are all doing.

Scam