Movie Living Proof

Sher43009
Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just rented this movie about Dr. Dennis Slamon UCLA who developed Herceptin. WOW! Are we lucky that he didn't give up when the drug company Genentech wanted to scrap the whole project. It was Revlon that saved the day and donated 2.4 Million Dollars to keep him afloat! I went on the Genentech website and found out my treatment--4 Adriamycin/Cytoxan with 4 Taxol then Herceptin every 3 weeks for one year has only been approved by the FDA since 2006. I feel extremely fortunate I got cancer in 2009 instead of earlier.
Sher

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I was diagnosed in 2003 and
    I was diagnosed in 2003 and did not have Herceptin. In a follow-up visit with an onc in another state he wondered if I had Herceptin but I didn't remember having it. Maybe this is why. They threw everything else at me. But it's ok. I'm glad for all the new finds for all who benefit.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    I also rented the movie.
    I also rented the movie. Makes you wonder how much more is out there that needs to be pushed. I am also on herceptin every 3 weeks.
  • God Heals
    God Heals Member Posts: 11
    PRAISE GOD for HERCEPTIN!!!!
    Yes, I too get the benefit of Herceptin... my oncologist was thrilled I was eligible...based on results from the biopsy....
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for this information. I have not seen the movie. My Sister died of breast cancer in 2003 (6 year survivor). I was diagnosed in 2007. I had Herceptin, she did not, though she was involved in several trials at M.D. Anderson, THE leading cancer research hospital in Texas. I have often wondered why...now I know. No guarantee it would have made a difference for her anyway, but it seems so common now, I have wondered.

Take care, seof