Options
2»

Comments

• Teppers
    Teppers Member Posts: 17
    Options
    tdob487 said:

Welcome
    I am knew too, I was diagnosed on Jan 29th. I had my lumpectomy and sentinel biopsy on Feb. 12th and my lymph nodes and margins were clear so I hope you will have the same results. I totally know what you are going through, it is so overwhelming and it all happens so fast. It helps to have the support of family and friends which is great but sometimes they don't understand what you are going through, the feelings and emotions, it is a scary time. It hit me that my life as I knew it would never be the same and that was hard for me to face but with support and God, I got through it. I am currently in radiation which hasn't been too bad yet. This is a great place to come, read others experiences and talk with people who understand you. Good luck, we are here if you need us.

Preparing for Radiation
    I'm glad to hear your radiation hasn't been bad. I go to two different Dr.'s this week to get prepared for that. I had surgery a week ago. It all happened really fast for me and glad that part is over. Same for me; with so many prayers and a belief in the Creator it gave me strength that I still cannot comprehend.

I think it's so important to read about the things that are going to happen on the medical part of this website and to remember each person's experience is very different and not to get too caught up in negatives that may not be the same for you!
  • Teppers
    Options
    tdob487 said:

Welcome
    I am knew too, I was diagnosed on Jan 29th. I had my lumpectomy and sentinel biopsy on Feb. 12th and my lymph nodes and margins were clear so I hope you will have the same results. I totally know what you are going through, it is so overwhelming and it all happens so fast. It helps to have the support of family and friends which is great but sometimes they don't understand what you are going through, the feelings and emotions, it is a scary time. It hit me that my life as I knew it would never be the same and that was hard for me to face but with support and God, I got through it. I am currently in radiation which hasn't been too bad yet. This is a great place to come, read others experiences and talk with people who understand you. Good luck, we are here if you need us.

Preparing for Radiation
    I'm glad to hear your radiation hasn't been bad. I go to two different Dr.'s this week to get prepared for that. I had surgery a week ago. It all happened really fast for me and glad that part is over. Same for me; with so many prayers and a belief in the Creator it gave me strength that I still cannot comprehend.

I think it's so important to read about the things that are going to happen on the medical part of this website and to remember each person's experience is very different and not to get too caught up in negatives that may not be the same for you!

Thanks for all the positives. I am not great on the computer, so just thankful I can find replies to my comments and not sure if I have found them all, so any advice on that would be appreciated!
  • Teppers
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Shopping for shoes and cancer?
    You know, after sitting in the waiting room at the radiation center for 2 months with folks with other types of cancer, and listening to what they have to go through, I actually do believe -- for myself only -- that, if I had to get cancer, I got one of the "easier" ones.

But for heaven's sakes, I would never, NEVER say that to someone else! Cancer treatment is a tough road no matter what it is. Good grief is right, JuJuBeez!

I think you should respond to them with something like, "Yeah, I was out shopping for shoes, and didn't see anything I liked, so I picked up some cancer instead. They were having a Buy One, Get One Free Special -- would you like the other one?

>:-( Traci

"Easy" Cancer
    That was hilarious!

My Internist said that when he told me initially. I think he was trying to assure me that this was something that could have been much worse. I do believe also, again, like you said, for myself only, that I am thankful this cancer hadn't spread and was caught early enough and was in a stage where the outcome was much better than other types.

So many people said, "I'm SOO sorry." like it was the most horrible and negative thing (a death sentence) in the world. They were so sweet and I know they meant well, but I really think saying, "I'll pray for you or I'm thinking of you." means so much more and is way more positive.
  • Teppers
    Options
    JuJuBeez said:

Thanks, Teppers
    I am really nervous about what to expect during the surgery day. Wouldn't you know I woke up today with the worst sore throat I've had in 20 years, and now I have a fever too. Nine days away from surgery. Luckily, I went to the doctor last night because I felt like I have bronchitis starting. I started an antibiotic today. I don't know what I'll do if I have to put the surgery off. I think I will have a nervous breakdown if I have to wait any longer. Anyone else get sick BEFORE their surgery? Is it just from being worn-out and nervous? Or just my wonderful luck? (It's probably the SAME luck that I had when the radiologist said there was about a 25% chance the spot they biopsied was cancer. Hmm...)

Feel Better
    I hope you have some meds and are feeling better!

I was very lucky to find out on a Monday that I was having surgery that Friday. I had to get sub plans ready for my First Graders for two weeks and although it wore me out, it helped time pass. I think anything you can do that you like (reading, watching movies, crossword puzzles, talking on the phone, e-mailing) or whatever you are able to do to keep busy really helps the time to pass when you are waiting for the surgery to happen.

Anyone wake up with headaches after surgery? I don't know if it's sinus or from sleeping on my back and moving my head around and straining my neck. Still can't side sleep too comfortably, so maybe that's it? Mostly in the last few days.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    youngnana said:

JuJuBeez,
    Welcome, so glad

JuJuBeez,
    Welcome, so glad you found this site, and so sorry that you had a need to search. I am fairly new here also. Unfortunately, I did not have a lumpectomy, so am unsure of the recovery, or limitations. I was diagnosed 2/23 IBC, also .08cm. First, I declined the needle biopsy and requested they remove the entire lump instead, which they did, day surgery, and not at all painful afterward. I was fully aware that if it came back positive they would need to go back in for additional tissue for a lumpectomy. When it did test positive, I had decided on a bilateral mastectomy. I didnt want rads, and I didnt want to worry, I just wanted them gone. This was easier said than done. I grieved for their loss. I had immediate reconstruction with expanders...It has really been ok, not nearly as difficult as I had expected. My path report came back no nodes involved, and all margins clear, ER+, PR-. Now waiting for the results of the genetic testing, a low score means likely no additional treatments, and if comes back high, will need to discuss options. I do feel positive. Cancer is an all consuming thing, it crowds our minds, directs our conversations, and forces us to make life altering decisions. I send you prayers for strength and comfort, know that the women here are compassionate and caring, the best friends you will ever find. Let us know how you are doing.
    Here's a funny story for you....my grandaughter is 4, I was at a doctors appt when a friend from work called. She answered the phone and said Nana is not here, she is at the doctors, getting her boobies fixed !!! So, children can understand what is going on if we explain it in a way their age allows them to comprehend. I just wonder who else may have called and heard that same response ??? Sending your daughter a hug also, an extra one always helps.
    Karen

youngnana
    Would you mind sharing why you decided on bilateral mastectomy? I was diagnosed with IDC last month; my surgery is next week. I'm still undecided as to whether I want one or both breasts removed. I KNOW I don't want a lumpectomy; I would worry constantly about that and I think I would also worry about the other breast if I have a unilateral mastectomy. I am to see my oncologists in a couple of days and will need to make a final decision this week. I would love to hear from anyone who chose to have bilateral mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy and know how things worked out. My surgeon 'hints' that I am overly aggressive, but he won't come out and say it. Thanks All.
  • tdob487
    tdob487 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    JuJuBeez said:

Thanks, Teppers
    I am really nervous about what to expect during the surgery day. Wouldn't you know I woke up today with the worst sore throat I've had in 20 years, and now I have a fever too. Nine days away from surgery. Luckily, I went to the doctor last night because I felt like I have bronchitis starting. I started an antibiotic today. I don't know what I'll do if I have to put the surgery off. I think I will have a nervous breakdown if I have to wait any longer. Anyone else get sick BEFORE their surgery? Is it just from being worn-out and nervous? Or just my wonderful luck? (It's probably the SAME luck that I had when the radiologist said there was about a 25% chance the spot they biopsied was cancer. Hmm...)

I hope you are feeling better and your surgery won't be delayed, waiting is so hard. My surgery went well also. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel biospy as well. I was probably at the hospital a total of about 4 1/2 hours with recovery. The thing I was most sore from is where they took the lymph nodes under my arm. That was probably the worst part and I did take some pain meds for the first two days but then went to ibuprofen. I wish you the best of luck, please let us know how you are doing
  • tdob487
    tdob487 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    tdob487 said:

I hope you are feeling better and your surgery won't be delayed, waiting is so hard. My surgery went well also. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel biospy as well. I was probably at the hospital a total of about 4 1/2 hours with recovery. The thing I was most sore from is where they took the lymph nodes under my arm. That was probably the worst part and I did take some pain meds for the first two days but then went to ibuprofen. I wish you the best of luck, please let us know how you are doing

Time off
    One other thing, not sure if you said you were working or not. I only took a week off work but I wish I would have taken two. I was still sore and tired from the anesthesia and just the toll any kind of surgery takes from you. I have a very understanding boss and did leave work a little early a couple of times but if you can take the extra time, do it.
  • JuJuBeez
    JuJuBeez Member Posts: 332
    Options
    tdob487 said:

I am glad surgery went well
    I am glad surgery went well for you! Thank you for letting me know what to expect. Knock on wood, I will still have it next Monday (4/26). I did only ask for one week off, but they told me to not push myself and feel like I HAVE to come back too early. I work for a wonderful company. I just went full-time on 2/16, and JUST got health insurance (after being without for two years)on 2/16. Talk about the nick of time. I honestly would be sitting here with no idea I have cancer if they had not made me full time. What do I need to wear on the day of the surgery? Do I need a special kind of bra that day? Will I even be able to wear one home? I am a bit busty, and I never go without my underwires! I'm nervous about radiation and having to go to work 'blowin in the wind', so to speak. Any advice on that aspect?
  • Teppers
    Options
    JuJuBeez said:

I am glad surgery went well
    I am glad surgery went well for you! Thank you for letting me know what to expect. Knock on wood, I will still have it next Monday (4/26). I did only ask for one week off, but they told me to not push myself and feel like I HAVE to come back too early. I work for a wonderful company. I just went full-time on 2/16, and JUST got health insurance (after being without for two years)on 2/16. Talk about the nick of time. I honestly would be sitting here with no idea I have cancer if they had not made me full time. What do I need to wear on the day of the surgery? Do I need a special kind of bra that day? Will I even be able to wear one home? I am a bit busty, and I never go without my underwires! I'm nervous about radiation and having to go to work 'blowin in the wind', so to speak. Any advice on that aspect?

Sports Bra
    I would wear something that buttons in the front. I didn't and I wish I would have. I also woke up from surgery with a sports bra already on from the hospital that had hooks in the front. They had me wear that home and my surgeon told me to wear it night an day for a week and I still have it on a week and a half after. It makes the healing more comfortable even though I didn't like wearing it at night, but had to.If I had known, I would have bought some extra ones to have at home because I really needed it day and night for over a week and wasn't too comfortable when I had to wash it and then wait for it to dry. Nice to have hooks in the front because it's hard at first to move your hands over your head.

I'm also worried about radiation, so if anyone has any ideas about what to wear if you have to go braless after awhile, let me know. I was thinking of buying some really light scarves to drape over the front if I have to eventually not wear a bra because I teach and can't really be without something covering that area if I am more comfortable without a bra after radiation.
  • Teppers
    Options
    tdob487 said:

Time off
    One other thing, not sure if you said you were working or not. I only took a week off work but I wish I would have taken two. I was still sore and tired from the anesthesia and just the toll any kind of surgery takes from you. I have a very understanding boss and did leave work a little early a couple of times but if you can take the extra time, do it.

Time Off
    I agree with you on that.
  • Teppers
    Options
    tdob487 said:

Sore
    I felt the same way about the lymph node site under the arm. Hard to lift so nice to have anything that buttoned down the front. I wasn't used to sleeping on my back and someone on here suggested sleeping in a recliner the first few nights.
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    JuJuBeez
    Hi and welcome to the club none of us wants to be in. I was diagnosed with a DCIS (not invasive) tumor 1.3 cm by .9cm June 16th of last year. I couldn't get surgery scheduled until July 17th and that was only by begging my surgeon to do one more surgery before she left on a week vacation. I think she felt bad because her office 'gave away' a surgery date they offered my during the few hours it took to consult my husband about the date!

Usually I am pretty laid back, although on the inside I can sometimes be a type A personality. Meditation and yoga have taught me to keep it under control. After the diagnosis, I went nuts, on the inside. I couldn't stop thinking about the what ifs. For every decision, I imagined the worst, then I would be happy when things turned out better than the worst. Dumb, huh? Anyway, I came down with a sore throat and eventual sinus infection 10 days before my scheduled surgery. Actually, we were still trying to find a date to squeeze me in for surgery. I haven't had a cold in 5 years! Also, it was July in AZ and I developed a fungal infection under both of my breasts. Now if that isn't anxiety sabotaging one's health, I don't know what would be. I should have taken the anti-anxiety drugs. Which, I did in fact take on the day of my 3 MRI biopsies. They are quite a big deal and the first stereotactic core needle biopsy was not a pleasant experience. The downside: I should have taken 1/2 because after taking the whole pill, I still have blank spaces in my memory of that day, like the doctor's instructions, etc.! Point is, take it if you need it to stay healthy. Both of them started to clear up before the surgery but I was still coughing as the anesthesiologist put me under.

After the lumpectomy surgery, the recovery nurse helped me get dressed. I had bought and brought a bra that fastens in the front. I had several. None of them fit the un-surgery breast (40DDD) so I don't wear them now, but they got me through the week of radiation. Actually, I was able to move my arm quite well since no node surgery was involved.

I had the 5 day type of radiation. If it is offered in your area, please ask about it. Busty women tend to burn badly during external beam radiation. I am also 'busty' and had absolutely no burn from the 'internal' kind of radiation and I was done in 5 days!!!! It is proving to be as effective as external beam. Please, please explore this possibility!

~~Connie~~