Another Newbie ;-)

Options
2»

Comments

• tdob487
    tdob487 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Welcome Welcome Lil and
    Welcome Welcome Lil and tdob....Just wanted to say hello and welcome you two to the most amazing site full of the most wonderful women/men you will ever meet!! Come here often, post often and you will get wonderful advice, of course we all listen to our physicians but this place is amazing. Big hugs to both of you and welcome aboard :)
    ~Kari

Thanks Kari, this site has already been so helpful to me. I already appreciate the imput I have received from others and the warm welcomes.
  • tdob487
    tdob487 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I'm one year out and feeling great!
    Hi Ladies,

I was diagnosed a year ago in Feb and believe it or not there are some days when I don't think about breast cancer. I never thought I would have a normal day again after my diagnosis. Waiting was the worst part. The surgery (clear margins and no node involvement), radiation, and Arimidex for at least 5 years are all doable. I hope you will have the same experience and that you'll be saying the same thing a year from now. I check out the boards a few times a week so I can be here for those of you going through what is a frightening. Hugs to all.

Roseann

Thanks Roseann, Its hard to think that there will be a day where I don't think about breast cancer, but I'm sure that day will come, I can't believe it has already been 3 months since my diagnosis. I've already come so far, I think the hardest thing after my treatments are done will be worrying if it will come back, if I will get it in the other breast. I just have to put myself in God's hands and hope that I have done as much on my part to help prevent it. Thanks again for the advice. Hugs to you as well.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    tdob487 said:

Thanks Kari, this site has already been so helpful to me. I already appreciate the imput I have received from others and the warm welcomes.

Warm Welcome to Both of You!
    We're all here to support and encourage each other. I joined a little over a year ago, to mark my then five year anniversary for completion of all active/invasive treatment.

The board is always open, 24/7, each and every day. Visit whenever you need or would like to...

Kind regards, Susan
  • Pnklemonade
    Pnklemonade Member Posts: 3
    Options
    BC ongoing
    Thanks for your words of wisdom! I feel the same way "parched" My skin and my mouth (even though I drink tons of water) seem so dehyrated! Any recommendations? Besides water and hard candy? Take care of yourself...
  • dianebraun
    dianebraun Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Balentine said:

Hi LilH,
    What type of breast cancer do you have? What chemo drugs are you going to do? I have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and am doing cytoxan and taxotere. I have had 2 rounds and have 2 more to go. I have not had to have any shots yet....my blood cell counts have been fine both times so far. I did not have any reactions to my chemo either and minor side effects. Everyone is different so you won't know until you start. I drink ensure each day the week of chemo and brush my teeth with baking soda or biotene toothpaste. That helps quite a bit.

Just let us know if you have any other questions and someone on this network will surely have an answer. It has been a great resource and you make alot of close friends who can empathize with exactly what you are feeling and going through.

God bless you and hold you through your journey. He will never let you go.

Lorrie Balentine

Hi Lorrie,
    I was diagnosed

Hi Lorrie,
    I was diagnosed with the same cancer, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, had a bilateral massectomy, and I start my chemo next week....cytoxin/taxotere mix. I will also have 4 rounds, one every 3 weeks. Have you lost your hair? I already bought a nice wig (I guess it's nice, anyway, as far as wigs go).
    I know everyone is different, but how bad were your side effects so far? I get nauseated thinking of getting nauseated, so I don't think I'm going to fair well in that department.
    I just found this website and it looks wonderful. It seems like there is a lot of support here, which is always a wonderful thing.
    God Bless, and thanks! Good luck on your final 2 rounds of chemo. You are half way done, so that's a blessing right there :)
    Diane Braun
  • dianebraun
    Options
    roseann4 said:

I'm one year out and feeling great!
    Hi Ladies,

I was diagnosed a year ago in Feb and believe it or not there are some days when I don't think about breast cancer. I never thought I would have a normal day again after my diagnosis. Waiting was the worst part. The surgery (clear margins and no node involvement), radiation, and Arimidex for at least 5 years are all doable. I hope you will have the same experience and that you'll be saying the same thing a year from now. I check out the boards a few times a week so I can be here for those of you going through what is a frightening. Hugs to all.

Roseann

Roseann,
    Thank you for the

Roseann,
    Thank you for the inspiration. I can't wait until a year from now. My hair will be back and I will hopefully be on a nice vacation, somewhere warm. In the meanwhile, I have 4 chemo treatments ahead of me, which I am not looking forward to, but I guess a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do :)
    Hugs sent back to you!
    Diane
  • dianebraun
    Options

Treatment Decisions
    Ladies,
    I am so happy to have found this website. I have invasive ductal carcinoma in the left breast. My surgeon says I am a candidate for lumpectomy, but I am leaning towards a bilateral mastectomy. I feel like I will be waiting for the other show to drop the rest of my life if I even retain one of my breasts. I am 54 and planning a delayed reconstruction. Can anyone tell me if they made a similar choice and how they feel about it now?
    I was totally decided until my surgeon told me I was 'going big' and made me start second-guessing myself. Help!

I opted for a bilateral
    I opted for a bilateral massectomy and I couldn't be happier. My docs did immediate implants, which they don't often do. I requested it because I only wanted one surgery. The problem with immediate implants is there is only one chance to get it right. If they do expanders instead, any errors can be fixed once the implants are placed. I was lucky to have excellent surgeons, and my "girls" look better than they original did, with a few missing parts which can always be added later.
    I also had invasive ductal carcinoma, as well as my mother and her mother at my same age. My mother passed away at age 53 from breast cancer, so I wasn't taking any chances. My cancer had no nodal metasteses, but I didn't want to take the chance of it reoccuring in 5 years somewhere else. My general surgeon thought I was making a very wise decison with the bilateral massectomy because I would be more at ease in the future not worrying about a reoccurance, plus, the "girls" are a perfect match, and they should still be perky in 40 years!
    Good luck on your decision.
  • dianebraun
    Options

Double Mastectomy
    SamuraiMom,

Can you tell me why you chose double mastectomy and whether you are happy you did so?
    Did you do immediate or delayed reconstruction? I still have a week and a half before surgery, so I can still change my mind and I am desperate to hear how others have made their choices.
    Sad thing is I am usually the most decisive and strong-minded person you'd ever want to meet. This has knocked me for a loop (as my Dad used to say) and I just keep revisiting the decision. It is sooooo permanent!
    It took me 3 weeks to really 'get' that this cancer could kill me! I feel so healthy!
    Any advice you can give is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Chickadee

Bilateral massectomy!!!!
    Bilateral massectomy!!!! You will not regret it in the future, but you will regret a single massectomy if the cancer comes back in 5 years. I had immediate implants, but you will be taking a chance if your surgeon doesn't do the surgery perfectly! There are fewer chances to "correct" errors with immediate implants, but if they do expanders, any errors can be corrected later.
    I just had a bilateral with immediate implants and had terrific results! My chemo starts next week and I'm a bit nervous so I'm glad I found this website for support.
    Best of luck to you. Follow your gut instinct. Only you know what is the best choice for you.

Diane