Fuzzy Hair In Public

Options
MK_4Dani
MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I did it! I went out in public with my fuzzy head. My hair is about 1/2 inch long and it is too hot to wear wigs or scarves. So I went to Tractor Supply, Target, Panera Bread today without headgear. I free so brave and free!
Mary

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    YES!
    I remember how liberating it felt too.
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!
    I'm so happy for you! Enjoy it!! xoxo
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Going commando
    Ah... the breeze through your fuzz!
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Being bald in public
    Oh wow, you are so brave. This is something I want to do but don't yet quite have the courage. I have taken my wig off in the pub twice as I was having a hot flush, but I haven't actually gone out somewhere without my head being covered. Well done, I bet it was liberating.

Tina
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Scarf or not
    My hair is about the same now, and I've been gradually building up the places I'll go with no covering (it's still cold enough most days to want it). I started with my exercise class, and have gone to the post office without my scarf or wig. Today I went to the veterinarian, and he showed me a picture of his dad in much the same condition - with earrings! I got a good laugh out of that.

Yesterday I had an appointment with my gyn/onc. While I was sitting in the waiting room, I saw two other women with less hair than I have, so I ditched the scarf for the rest of the visit. It is liberating, and no one is particularly upset, so why not? I did have some little girls ask about the scarf!

Sue
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Yea!
    I think it is

Yea!

I think it is liberating and it's a great conversation piece and topic of discussion.

It's also a really great ice-breaker because I have found out people are curious and usually want to ask anyway what the deal is about your head. In fact I tell them my current hairstyle is by choice as a result of first losing my hair to chemo.

Good for you and continued blessing Mary.

Sharon
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!!
    I remember the rush the first time I went out a head covering!!! I also smile every time I think about shocked looks when I yanked my wig off a few times, because I was just too hot!!!
    kathleen:)
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    kayandok said:

Yay!!!!
    I remember the rush the first time I went out a head covering!!! I also smile every time I think about shocked looks when I yanked my wig off a few times, because I was just too hot!!!
    kathleen:)

I've whipped off my wig when hot TOO many times! HA!
    I had to laugh at Kathleen's comment! As soon as I start sweating, I HAVE to whip off my wig, and then it lays there on top of my purse like a dead rat! HA! I ALWAYS take off my wig in the car, and in every season but winter, I let my freaky bald head go bare because I just can't stand being hot. I'm at the point now where I only wear a wig or hat if I am out on a business appointment or a date with my husband or out with a girlfriend where I want to look my best. I currently look goofy since I have stick-outty ears and my fuzz is only 1/8th inch long and an ugly combo of curly whites and straight browns and reds (like a calico cat when it gets a bit longer, as I remember from last time I did the 'grow out'. HA! ) But I just don't care because a fuzzy head means 'chemo break' to me, and 'chemo break' in springtime is wonderful!