update on my Mom

Options
RandiK
RandiK Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hey, haven't been on here in about a week or so. Just thought I would update ya'll on my Mom. She goes back to Houston tomorrow for her 2nd carbo/taxol treatment on Monday. This past week has been tough on her. She started losing her hair. At first she just had my sister cut it off to where it was about an inch all over. Then today we were out there and she just couldn't keep her hands off of it. She kept telling us "just look, all of my hair is falling out" and of course it was coming out. She decided with all of us there to have me go ahead and shave her head. It was tough, but I think it was better to go ahead and do it. She does seem to like wearing the scarves better than the wig she bought. I know it was hard on her, it was hard for me to do it, but the funniest thing happened after we got through. My 3 yr old nephew ran next door to his house and brought my Mom back his coonskin cap. He said Mamaw could wear it, of course that only lasted a few minutes until he decided he needed it back and they would just share, but it was sweet of him to think of her, lol.

Comments

• Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I shaved mine, too
    I know how difficult that is. But it will come back after chemo.
    My husband shaves mine for me. I know he hates it (like I do), but he
    does want to help & give me support.

I agree; scarves are much more comfortable than a wig! Wigs are itchy & hot.
    I've reached the point (gone through chemo 4 times), that I don't care anymore,
    I just like comfort! :-)

Take care of yourselves, and tell you mom to drink lots of water!

~Susan xoxo
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    baseball cap kinda girl
    I wear baseball caps around the house and find that they are the most comfortable thing for me. I think that it is so much more than just having your hair fall out. It's not vanity and most of us say that we don't recognize ourselves when we look into the mirror. My first two carbo/taxol treatments were awful and I was so very sick for days. The last couple have been easier somehow ( fingers crossed that it will stay that way! ). I'm so glad that your Mom has her family around her and that she'll sail through her remaining treatments.
    (((HUGS))) Maria