nausea

Options
carkris
carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
can anybody tell me what you used instead of or in addition to meds, for nausea? I was thinking of those wrist bands and ginger tea, crackers, any other ideas.?

Comments

• joan_doyle
    joan_doyle Member Posts: 29
    Options
    nausea
    After my 1st chemo of late I noticed any cooking smells even toast upset me I ate food raw like spinach carrots and anything that didnt require cooking smells (maybe scramble eggs) spinach is tasteless unless cooked and carrots very mild I dont advice all veg just some are very easy on the taste buds or fruits (bannans etc) maybe this can help
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    Options
    I use ginger essential oils
    I use ginger essential oils (you can get them at a health food store), put 3 drops on a cotton ball and tape it to your shirt or pillow. I also have a plug in air filter (i think it is made by febreeze) that takes odors out of the room it is in, which may help with nausea. Eat small meals or snacks frequently, if possible. Ativan helps with my nausea too, if you can get a prescription. It makes you sleepy, though! Good luck!
    Jan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Nausea
    REAL ginger root may help.......grate some into some hot water, as if making a cup of hot tea...Peel it first..but honestly I would talk to your oncologist....I started the anti nausea medications and steroids (which are also anti nausea meds) the day before each chemo, then was pumped full of them before the chemo drugs were started and then I continued as prescribed by my oncologist for the next 5 days...........I took them faithfully, never missing a single dose.....and I must say, although every one is different, I never had the first wave of nausea.....and I was so afraid of that.....it's much easier to prevent nausea and vomiting than it is to get it under control once it starts.....again, I would seek the advice of your oncologist.....there's to many good meds out there for you to have to suffer this in addition to everything else.......

I wish you well........
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Nausea
    REAL ginger root may help.......grate some into some hot water, as if making a cup of hot tea...Peel it first..but honestly I would talk to your oncologist....I started the anti nausea medications and steroids (which are also anti nausea meds) the day before each chemo, then was pumped full of them before the chemo drugs were started and then I continued as prescribed by my oncologist for the next 5 days...........I took them faithfully, never missing a single dose.....and I must say, although every one is different, I never had the first wave of nausea.....and I was so afraid of that.....it's much easier to prevent nausea and vomiting than it is to get it under control once it starts.....again, I would seek the advice of your oncologist.....there's to many good meds out there for you to have to suffer this in addition to everything else.......

I wish you well........

I was asking for someone
    I was asking for someone else who is experiencing nausea and the zofran does not agree with her Gi system. I finished chemo but was not sucessful in treating the breakthrough nausea and zofran made me constipated, so I was wondering what the creative sisters here didl, thanks for your replies. I will pass it on
  • mollymousemom
    mollymousemom Member Posts: 18
    Options
    nausea
    someone told me to suck on lemon drops(candy).....it really works.....told several of my friends about it when they had flu & one friend that was pregnant......now they all swear by it.....I was only able to find them @ Walgreen's......sorry that you're; having problems with nausea......I was one of the lucky ones that only had it occassionaly......good luck & hope you find something that works for you.
  • n01kar
    n01kar Member Posts: 26
    Options

nausea
    someone told me to suck on lemon drops(candy).....it really works.....told several of my friends about it when they had flu & one friend that was pregnant......now they all swear by it.....I was only able to find them @ Walgreen's......sorry that you're; having problems with nausea......I was one of the lucky ones that only had it occassionaly......good luck & hope you find something that works for you.

nausea
    trying eating a fresh orange with salt sprinkled on it. It will make you burp which gets all that bad gas off your chest. worked like a charm for me
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    n01kar said:

nausea
    trying eating a fresh orange with salt sprinkled on it. It will make you burp which gets all that bad gas off your chest. worked like a charm for me

The is a antinausea drug
    The is a antinausea drug called Emend. Its a very good drug. I was never had to bad of a time with nausea because of the drug. I did have problems with smell and foods. I did the ginger ale, and cottage fry's/ with salt, Vanilla waffer cookies. This is what I pretty much lived off of. Hope you feel better.
  • MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In addition to the nausea
    In addition to the nausea meds. I made ginger tea from ginger root and it worked very well for me. I also ate saltines and jello. The ginger tea was very soothing and really helped me. Good luck and take one day at a time. Hugs!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

nausea
    After my 1st chemo of late I noticed any cooking smells even toast upset me I ate food raw like spinach carrots and anything that didnt require cooking smells (maybe scramble eggs) spinach is tasteless unless cooked and carrots very mild I dont advice all veg just some are very easy on the taste buds or fruits (bannans etc) maybe this can help

I have heard that ginger tea
    I have heard that ginger tea does help for some. Perhaps your oncologist can provide a list of different drinks or foods that might help you. Good luck!

Sue :)
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    After my first chemo the

After my first chemo the nausea hit hard despite all the meds. I used fresh ginger (juiced it and added water and a little sugar), as well as lemon ginger echinacea (from Trader Joes) although I had to watch the lemon (Citris because of acid reflux). I also ate boiled potatoes, steamed zucchini and bananas, grilled chicken for 5 days after chemo. I also had carrot ginger soup.

This last chemo, they gave me the maximum allowable doese of nausea meds and warned me of the constipation. I still had some nausea (it was much better) and for the constipation I stewed prunes and dried apricots, ate that and dranks the liquid. It at least made me regular but I felt I was passing rocks. Not too comfortable.

So for the next one, I guess I can choose nausea or constipation.

One thing with the nausea is that you do need to get food in your stomach. It is like sea sickness (which I always get) after I eat I feel a whole lot better. The blander the better.

Best wishes.