Femara side effects

GrandmaJ
GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After a bone density test I am to start on Femara. After reading about side effects, I'm scared to take it. Some of them are pretty awful.

Would like to hear from those on the drug as to what side effects they have experienced. Thanks.

Judy

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    I have only taken it for 2 weeks
    I have only taken it for 2 weeks but I have had some joint pain that was not too severe and some night sweats.

HUGS

Donna
  • jphilpo
    jphilpo Member Posts: 177

I have only taken it for 2 weeks
    I have only taken it for 2 weeks but I have had some joint pain that was not too severe and some night sweats.

HUGS

Donna

side effects
    I have been on Femara almost 2 months now. I have some joint pain & my feet hurt in the morning. I have been having night sweats also. I have been told it will get better. Keep in touch & let me know. I am new to it also. Good luck.
  • eileenmorales
    eileenmorales Member Posts: 3
    jphilpo said:

side effects
    I have been on Femara almost 2 months now. I have some joint pain & my feet hurt in the morning. I have been having night sweats also. I have been told it will get better. Keep in touch & let me know. I am new to it also. Good luck.

Femara side effects
    Hi,
    I have been taking femara for 3 weeks and I am mainly worried about headaches from it because I suffer from bad headaches. I have noticed some aches but I am really hoping it will all get better as the weeks go by. I would like to know how everyone does as the weeks go by.
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36

Femara side effects
    Hi,
    I have been taking femara for 3 weeks and I am mainly worried about headaches from it because I suffer from bad headaches. I have noticed some aches but I am really hoping it will all get better as the weeks go by. I would like to know how everyone does as the weeks go by.

femara side effects
    I've never had a headache, 4 weeks of Femara for me so far. (Do you drink enough water?) My joints hurt sometimes, hands especially,
    I exercise--walking, light weights---and that helps my mood and bod. Yes, hot flashes, and I go through several t-shirts every night. And it's hard to tell what fatigue is after 5 months of chemo! But my muscles hurt, and I wear out fast. I"m pretty worried too, everything seems like a tradeoff of some sort. Blessings on us all!
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    cantthink said:

femara side effects
    I've never had a headache, 4 weeks of Femara for me so far. (Do you drink enough water?) My joints hurt sometimes, hands especially,
    I exercise--walking, light weights---and that helps my mood and bod. Yes, hot flashes, and I go through several t-shirts every night. And it's hard to tell what fatigue is after 5 months of chemo! But my muscles hurt, and I wear out fast. I"m pretty worried too, everything seems like a tradeoff of some sort. Blessings on us all!

Femara, side effects & liquids
    I've been taking Femara since last August. I know the impressive list of possible side effects is scarey, but few of them happen to everyone. The most noticeable side effects for me has been hot flashes which were strong at first but not so much now, and I am stiff when I first stand after sitting. The stiffness quickly goes away, as I move around, and I'm able to do all I want to do. I know some people do not like to drink water (that's WATER, not other liquids), but it's an important element is helping reduce side effects. Water keeps our body's cells hydrated without taxing our organs with other ingredients such as sugar, sugar substitutes, caffiene, alcohol, sodium, etc. Femara is hard on bones, so try to avoid a double whammy with liquids that not only tax your organs, but also rob your bones of essential calcium. Carbonated drinks are at the top of the list for this problem. In addition to the Femara, I get a monthly infusion of Zometa to strengthen my bones. So far, I'm doing fine.

Please do not fear this life-saving drug. Tell your doctor of any side effects. If they are severe, s/he can probably switch you to something else.

Let us know how you do. Hugs, Gracie
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209

Femara, side effects & liquids
    I've been taking Femara since last August. I know the impressive list of possible side effects is scarey, but few of them happen to everyone. The most noticeable side effects for me has been hot flashes which were strong at first but not so much now, and I am stiff when I first stand after sitting. The stiffness quickly goes away, as I move around, and I'm able to do all I want to do. I know some people do not like to drink water (that's WATER, not other liquids), but it's an important element is helping reduce side effects. Water keeps our body's cells hydrated without taxing our organs with other ingredients such as sugar, sugar substitutes, caffiene, alcohol, sodium, etc. Femara is hard on bones, so try to avoid a double whammy with liquids that not only tax your organs, but also rob your bones of essential calcium. Carbonated drinks are at the top of the list for this problem. In addition to the Femara, I get a monthly infusion of Zometa to strengthen my bones. So far, I'm doing fine.

Please do not fear this life-saving drug. Tell your doctor of any side effects. If they are severe, s/he can probably switch you to something else.

Let us know how you do. Hugs, Gracie

Femara
    Thanks for all the info, and especially about the water and exercise. I still have to have a bone density test and I'm hearing that if you do not have osteoporosis, the Femara side effects are not as bad... I can handle night sweats and hot flashes, but don't want any broken bones !! I have a 2 year old granddaughter to keep up with !!

Judy
  • pattycal
    pattycal Member Posts: 2
    GrandmaJ said:

Femara
    Thanks for all the info, and especially about the water and exercise. I still have to have a bone density test and I'm hearing that if you do not have osteoporosis, the Femara side effects are not as bad... I can handle night sweats and hot flashes, but don't want any broken bones !! I have a 2 year old granddaughter to keep up with !!

Judy

Femara
    Thanks for all the feedback. Started Femara 2 weeks ago.....not thrilled about minor hot flashes at night,been there done that once already!but not as bad as before. No more than the usual a.m. joint pains so far. I drink lots of water and walk a few miles 5 days a week--that must be helping. Still a bit nervous about bone loss but started taking a calcium supp., too. Am going for bone density test soon, too. I, too, have my little grandson to keep up with.
    Patty