Nurse gave good news but said Chemo likely

Options
TulsaMomof3
TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Found out today that I am ER+ and Prog+ and HER2-, Nurse said after masectomy I will likely have Hormone Therapy, and since I am only 37 Chemo also stops estrogen production so expect that even if the nodes are neg. But the HER2- is a very good thing

Do you think the nurse was right about the Chemo?

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    I really don't know a lot
    I really don't know a lot about chemo since I didn't have it. Do you trust your oncologist? If so, then believe in what he says you should do. If not, get a 2nd opinion. Good luck to you!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    You won't know whether or
    You won't know whether or not chemo is recommended as part of your treatment until after you have your surgery and final report from the pathologist. Are you also having a sentinel node biopsy at the same time as mastectomy? If so, if the cancer cells have spread through the lymph nodes this will also be taken into consideration. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about any of this. If you do need chemo, just know that it is very do-able noawadays. It's nothing like it was years ago. Continue to post and let us know your outcome and we'll be here to help you through your treatments. Take care.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say
    because everyone is so different, but you already have received some very good advice. Make sure to ask questions of your oncologist and get a second opinion if it would make you feel more comfortable. Even if you don't have any issues with your current oncologist, it doesn't hurt (and your doctor won't be offended) to get a second opinion just to see if there is a different point of view to your treatment plan.

As MyTurnNow said, chemo is doable for almost all of us, so don't be too afraid if they do end up recommending it for you. I had a lumpectomy with clean lymph nodes, but still ended up doing chemo due to the score on my Oncotype DX score, which was done after my surgery. And, yes, the chemo did start my menopause, but the doctor also put me on Tamoxifen to continue that process since I was still menstruating when I started chemo. You're not considered "menopausal" until you go a year without a period.

Best wishes to you, keep posting with questions or just to let us know how you're doing.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

It's hard to say
    because everyone is so different, but you already have received some very good advice. Make sure to ask questions of your oncologist and get a second opinion if it would make you feel more comfortable. Even if you don't have any issues with your current oncologist, it doesn't hurt (and your doctor won't be offended) to get a second opinion just to see if there is a different point of view to your treatment plan.

As MyTurnNow said, chemo is doable for almost all of us, so don't be too afraid if they do end up recommending it for you. I had a lumpectomy with clean lymph nodes, but still ended up doing chemo due to the score on my Oncotype DX score, which was done after my surgery. And, yes, the chemo did start my menopause, but the doctor also put me on Tamoxifen to continue that process since I was still menstruating when I started chemo. You're not considered "menopausal" until you go a year without a period.

Best wishes to you, keep posting with questions or just to let us know how you're doing.

Take care,
    Cindy

Chemo induced menopause
    I was 47 when I started Chemo and it induced menopause. If you are thinking of having children discuss your options with you medical oncologist before Chemo treatment. Some patients harvest eggs before staring Chemo. It is probably risky since you are estrogen positive. Talk to your doctor and get second opinion.
    Wishing you the best,
    New Flower
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    When i first received my
    When i first received my diagnosis, before any hormone markers were back or the sentinal node biopsy, i was also told that i would likely need chemo because of my age (45). The doc said the oncs tend to me more aggressive w/breast cancers presenting before age 50. That being said, my hormone markers came back the same as yours and my nodes were negative and I didn't have to have chemo.

The waiting to find out is so anxiety producing, it's hard not to worry about what may be. Would still encourage you to just take it one day and a time and wait to see your oncologist for a definitive plan. Also remember, if you aren't comfortable w/the information you get or the doc, you can always get a second opinion.

Blessings...
    Julie
  • chipoo
    chipoo Member Posts: 32
    Options
    You may not have to have
    You may not have to have chemo. There are other, safer ways to stop estrogen production if that is the only reason you would be getting chemo. You will have to see what your oncologist recommends. I will be praying that you will not need it.
    Marjorie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Chemo induced menopause
    I was 47 when I started Chemo and it induced menopause. If you are thinking of having children discuss your options with you medical oncologist before Chemo treatment. Some patients harvest eggs before staring Chemo. It is probably risky since you are estrogen positive. Talk to your doctor and get second opinion.
    Wishing you the best,
    New Flower

Hoping that you don't have
    Hoping that you don't have to do chemo, but, if you do, you can do it! You are a fighter, a survivor. All of us are here for you!
  • rene9
    rene9 Member Posts: 214
    Options
    Hi
    Hi. I am 39, ER,PR+, HER2- and had a mastectomy in December. It was stage 2, bo bone or muscle involvement and all cancer removed from breast with surgery. I had 2 out of 16 nodes + so that meant I would have to have chemo. Because I was 38 (young)I would also have to have radiation when I complete my chemo. Since my HER2 is - I won't need to have herceptin infusions. It seems treatments plans weigh on your pathology report and your age. If you are young they want to give you the works to hopefully get any cancer cells that may be floating in your body. Take care and good luck! You will do fine!