Recurrence treated with Gemzar as single agent?

Options
upsofloating
upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My gyn-onc has decided Doxil not best agent for my recurrence of UPSC stage IV so is changing me to Gemzar as single agent. In researching this (I'm to start next week) Gemzar website indicates Gemzar in combo with Cisplatin for first course treatment for OVCA (UPSC treated essentially the same) and in combo with carboplatin for recurrence beyond 6 mos post prior platinum-based chemo for first treatment. However, my protocol will be Gemzar alone, weekly x 3 weeks and then one week off.

Has anyone been treated for recurrence with Gemzar alone?

Annie

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    unsure
    Annie,
    Sorry to hear that Doxil is not working. I'm wondering what the history is behind your Doxil use. Is this your first recurrence? How long was remission? Unsure if Doxil is working for me either. My ca125 went up 3 points after my 4th infusion. I know it isn't much but I don't like it. I have not heard from my team of doctors yet regarding this new ca125. I am scheduled for my next Doxil next week. I was 8 months out of carbo/taxol before I had confirmed recurrence.

I was told if the Doxil does not work they will consider Gemzar. I researched it too and read the same you did. I was not given any specific information if it would be used as a single agent or not. I too would want the extra boost of another agent...if it would help. I'll let you know what happens.

Good luck. Hopefully someone will be able to give some insight on Gemzar use.

Nancy
  • arbor3
    arbor3 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Gemzar
    Annie

I was on Dixol last summer, but it wasn't working for me, then my Dr put me on Gemzar. After three treatments she changed me to topotecal because my numbers weren,t coming down.
    The thing with Gemzar and topotecal, they are very hard on your red and white cell counts.
    I asked both my onc Dr and gyn/onc Dr about having another chemo with Gemzar and they both said I did not need it and it was a harsh treatment to be on both. I had my fourth session of topotecal today, and I also had to have a blood transfusion.
    Dinora
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback!
    I

I finished my first round of chemo - Taxol /Carbo x 6 -- in June '08. Then my Jan '09 CT showed a couple of enlarged lymph nodes and CA125 was over 200. Subsequent PET lit up as well and I was to start Doxil. My gyn-onc then left clinic and I had repeat CA125 for new gyn-onc - it was 22! Then CT scan showed lymph nodes resolving so no treatment. The Aug '09 CA125 up again. New PET /CT in Sept showed new lymph nodes enlarged and lit up, prior nodes still resolving or gone. Then biopsy of para-aorta node in Oct was positive. Had repeat CT in Dec - nodes still there but unchanged so planned to start chemo after New Year. I've only had 2 treatments, CA125 keeps going up and then a few weeks ago I started having a number of skin rashes/irritations, etc Doc says once start, they will get worse with each treatment, so change agent now so don't have to put treatment on hold while I recover. I have had to delay treatment by one week ea time due to low counts, but I was treated with Adriamycin (base form of Doxil) in '93 for breast CA which may make me more sensitive to this drug. I have uterine papillary serous ca (Stage IV after debulking surgery Jan '08) which behaves/is treated like ovarian ca.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I

I finished my first round of chemo - Taxol /Carbo x 6 -- in June '08. Then my Jan '09 CT showed a couple of enlarged lymph nodes and CA125 was over 200. Subsequent PET lit up as well and I was to start Doxil. My gyn-onc then left clinic and I had repeat CA125 for new gyn-onc - it was 22! Then CT scan showed lymph nodes resolving so no treatment. The Aug '09 CA125 up again. New PET /CT in Sept showed new lymph nodes enlarged and lit up, prior nodes still resolving or gone. Then biopsy of para-aorta node in Oct was positive. Had repeat CT in Dec - nodes still there but unchanged so planned to start chemo after New Year. I've only had 2 treatments, CA125 keeps going up and then a few weeks ago I started having a number of skin rashes/irritations, etc Doc says once start, they will get worse with each treatment, so change agent now so don't have to put treatment on hold while I recover. I have had to delay treatment by one week ea time due to low counts, but I was treated with Adriamycin (base form of Doxil) in '93 for breast CA which may make me more sensitive to this drug. I have uterine papillary serous ca (Stage IV after debulking surgery Jan '08) which behaves/is treated like ovarian ca.

treatments
    I have papillary serous ovca. I completed treatment April '08. Positive pet Nov. 09 showing one spot on my colon. Biopsy confirmed Dec. 09. Started treatment Jan. 10 with Doxil. After 3 infusions PET had slightly more increased activity, ca125 still normal at 18 (down from 30). Decided to push my treatment back from every 3 weeks to every 4 weeks due to foot rash. Rash isn't so bad really. I had a 4th infusion and my ca125 went from 18 to 23. I am due for my 5th infusion next week. I haven't heard from the doctors in regard to keeping me on Doxil. Maybe Doxil is keeping it stable? I was told if Doxil doesn't work I can either do traditional treatment with Gemzar or there are two new clinical trials opening up in April at my cancer center which happens to be Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. I'm not sure what the trials are what phase they are in. I am not interested in phase 1 or 2 unless I exhausted all other treatment options. Even then, I don't think I'd do a phase 1 trial. I'll let you know what I hear so we can compare treatment options.