Disability and Cancer

Options
Tracie1981
Tracie1981 Member Posts: 125
I was curious, I used to beable to work 50 hours a week, now that I've been in Chemo and have been sick I havent been able to work at all. Is it possible for me to receive disability because I have cancer or because I cant work. I'm not for sure how it works, or even where to go to find out info. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I just feel bad because now my hubby has to take care of all the bills by himself. Thanks and God Bless!

Comments

• brigit
    brigit Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been able to work 4
    I've been able to work 4 days a week throughout treatments. I receive disability for the time that I'm not able to work. I had to go through my human resource department to set up the disability and they send my hours worked into the insurance company. I'm entitled to about 480 hours of medical leave and I've used a little over half of that time. With medical leace you can work part time, not at all, or partial hours in a day. My hospital has to hold my full time position until I use all of my medical time. I looks like that I'll be able to finish treatments with time left over. I don't know what happen if you own your own business or work for a small business. I would talk with your human resource department and start filling out the paper work. You will also need to have your doctor's office send in some paper work and periodically they will have to update your file. I was also told that if you aren't able to work at all you may be able to qualify for social security. I don't know how to go about that. I'm not receiving social security but I had a friend from college whose husband wasn't able to work and he wa able to receive social security during his treatments. Also if you have a private policy you will should give them a call to see what you need to do to receive benefits. I hope that this helps. I would start by talking with your human resource manager. Good luck with the paper work. Hopefully it will be as easy for you as it has been for me.
  • Tracie1981
    Options
    brigit said:

I've been able to work 4
    I've been able to work 4 days a week throughout treatments. I receive disability for the time that I'm not able to work. I had to go through my human resource department to set up the disability and they send my hours worked into the insurance company. I'm entitled to about 480 hours of medical leave and I've used a little over half of that time. With medical leace you can work part time, not at all, or partial hours in a day. My hospital has to hold my full time position until I use all of my medical time. I looks like that I'll be able to finish treatments with time left over. I don't know what happen if you own your own business or work for a small business. I would talk with your human resource department and start filling out the paper work. You will also need to have your doctor's office send in some paper work and periodically they will have to update your file. I was also told that if you aren't able to work at all you may be able to qualify for social security. I don't know how to go about that. I'm not receiving social security but I had a friend from college whose husband wasn't able to work and he wa able to receive social security during his treatments. Also if you have a private policy you will should give them a call to see what you need to do to receive benefits. I hope that this helps. I would start by talking with your human resource manager. Good luck with the paper work. Hopefully it will be as easy for you as it has been for me.

Thank you
    Thank you so much for the information. I have already contacted the Social securtiy department concerning disability and have started some paperwork. I just hope it doesnt take to long to get it situated. I used to work in a restaurant as a manager so it wasnt a huge deal but it helped pay the bills. The extra money came in handy, I'm not able to work it would be to much for me to handle right now with treatments that I can barely keep up with the side effects of pain and fatigue, and not to mention a new baby :) Thank you again and God Bless!!!!
  • slickwilly
    slickwilly Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Thank you
    Thank you so much for the information. I have already contacted the Social securtiy department concerning disability and have started some paperwork. I just hope it doesnt take to long to get it situated. I used to work in a restaurant as a manager so it wasnt a huge deal but it helped pay the bills. The extra money came in handy, I'm not able to work it would be to much for me to handle right now with treatments that I can barely keep up with the side effects of pain and fatigue, and not to mention a new baby :) Thank you again and God Bless!!!!

Disability
    Hi Tracie. Your baby is quite cute. Geezzz I wish my daughters had never grown up. On the disability side of things. Sometimes its a frustrating process. Quick for some and 18 months for others. It took me 18 months and a hearing with a Federal Judge to approve my disability. My brother who now has cancer got his in about 2 months. Many times its just luck of the draw as they will pick cases to push through the whole system. It seems most people are denied in the early stages and they have to appeal. So don't give up if you are denied at first. I think working directly through a local Social Security office helps put your face on the paperwork that is filed and sometimes helps. Having a GP or Oncologist that will say your disabled and take time to properly fill out the paperwork they recieve is very important. No matter who is working with you, have everyone else send copies of tests and information to one central point. It makes things much easier in the long run. My GP would always call me and we would go over all the questions together and I would retain copies. Keeping track of appointment dates, doctors addresses, operations, hospitals ect will make things easier when questions are asked. I had a book and a desk calendar for all of that and a file for paperwork. I worked for 2 years after my Lymphoma and the side effects of radiation caught up with me. So even if you do not qualify for disability now keep track of your records, doctors ect. I am very sorry that you have to deal with any of this. Best wishes Slickwilly
  • Tracie1981
    Options

Disability
    Hi Tracie. Your baby is quite cute. Geezzz I wish my daughters had never grown up. On the disability side of things. Sometimes its a frustrating process. Quick for some and 18 months for others. It took me 18 months and a hearing with a Federal Judge to approve my disability. My brother who now has cancer got his in about 2 months. Many times its just luck of the draw as they will pick cases to push through the whole system. It seems most people are denied in the early stages and they have to appeal. So don't give up if you are denied at first. I think working directly through a local Social Security office helps put your face on the paperwork that is filed and sometimes helps. Having a GP or Oncologist that will say your disabled and take time to properly fill out the paperwork they recieve is very important. No matter who is working with you, have everyone else send copies of tests and information to one central point. It makes things much easier in the long run. My GP would always call me and we would go over all the questions together and I would retain copies. Keeping track of appointment dates, doctors addresses, operations, hospitals ect will make things easier when questions are asked. I had a book and a desk calendar for all of that and a file for paperwork. I worked for 2 years after my Lymphoma and the side effects of radiation caught up with me. So even if you do not qualify for disability now keep track of your records, doctors ect. I am very sorry that you have to deal with any of this. Best wishes Slickwilly

Thanks
    Thank you, they grow up quite fast too!! As for the disability, I went online and started the paperwork and the lady I spoke with on the phone yesterday said she would mail me the dr.s info sheet to have him fill out. So hopefully I got a good start on it. My only problem is to get to a social security office for me I have to travel 45 mins, which sucks! So hopefully i can get most of it done by mail then only have to go in once or twice. :) Also I have to travel 2 hours to get to the hospital where I see my dr, and my next chemo appt. is Wednesday so I hope I have the paperwork for him to fill out by then. I just dont how long I'm going to be in treatments and how long I'm not going to beable to work especially with having all the treatments and a new baby. So I'm hoping that they will let me collect atleast until I feel up to working, the fatigue the first week after chemo is a rough ride for me. :( Thank you so much for the help!! And God Bless!!
  • winthefight
    winthefight Member Posts: 162
    Options
    disability insurance
    Hi,

First, you should find out from your HR dept if there is a short or long term disability insurance policy that you may be under. This will provide a percentage of your income if you are not working.

Next, since you are not conveniently located to the SS office, perhaps you should seek an attorney. The attorney will assist you with the paper work and fwd the documents to your drs. The attorney can't charge a fee for this. He/she can only collect on the time prior to your application....the back money. Since it looks like you were working, it doesn't appear to be a need to have a fee.

I took a SSD/SSI seminar. I was told you can collect SSD/SSI while working as long as your income doesn't exceed $800.00 a month. I would ask your whoever is assisting you with the paperwork. Confirm this information.

Since you are not working, you should be able to collect. Cancer is on the list. Talk with your doctor about it so that he completes the paperwork in your favor.

Good luck.
  • scuttlebug
    scuttlebug Member Posts: 59
    Options

disability insurance
    Hi,

First, you should find out from your HR dept if there is a short or long term disability insurance policy that you may be under. This will provide a percentage of your income if you are not working.

Next, since you are not conveniently located to the SS office, perhaps you should seek an attorney. The attorney will assist you with the paper work and fwd the documents to your drs. The attorney can't charge a fee for this. He/she can only collect on the time prior to your application....the back money. Since it looks like you were working, it doesn't appear to be a need to have a fee.

I took a SSD/SSI seminar. I was told you can collect SSD/SSI while working as long as your income doesn't exceed $800.00 a month. I would ask your whoever is assisting you with the paperwork. Confirm this information.

Since you are not working, you should be able to collect. Cancer is on the list. Talk with your doctor about it so that he completes the paperwork in your favor.

Good luck.

dissabity insrrance
    its better if you hire a layer who speciallise in helping you get it on your dissability they do most of the work and cancer makes you eigible good in your fight with cancer. it it t00k me about a year for me receive mine. denise
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    Options

dissabity insrrance
    its better if you hire a layer who speciallise in helping you get it on your dissability they do most of the work and cancer makes you eigible good in your fight with cancer. it it t00k me about a year for me receive mine. denise

Disabilty
    Hi It took me 4 months to get my ssdisabilty.My daughter and I filed online.My onc said it is a bit easier to get when in treatment.I keep all my records so sent them what I had that they needed.They return them,or they did mine.Anyway this was my second time filing alone NO ATTORNEY.It really is easy.Received it back in 1996 but went back to work on my own so I went off it dumb move.Keep you personal records up at home,dates ,docs and so on.Maybe mine was faster as I have more then one medical problem.Good luck,Michele
  • truckingalong
    truckingalong Member Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Michele23 said:

Disabilty
    Hi It took me 4 months to get my ssdisabilty.My daughter and I filed online.My onc said it is a bit easier to get when in treatment.I keep all my records so sent them what I had that they needed.They return them,or they did mine.Anyway this was my second time filing alone NO ATTORNEY.It really is easy.Received it back in 1996 but went back to work on my own so I went off it dumb move.Keep you personal records up at home,dates ,docs and so on.Maybe mine was faster as I have more then one medical problem.Good luck,Michele

Getting help for SSDI benefits
    I just had 6 months of receiving short term disability benefits from Cigna insurance through my work. Then the HR and Cigna asked me to apply for long term disabiity benefits (for up to 24 months) but to first apply for SSDI. They hired a consultant group, "Advantage 2000" (based in Chicago) to process my paperwork without having me go to SS office. I was too weak to go to the SS office so this was real helpful. Adv 2000 phone-interviewed me, filled out the forms and sent them to my local SS office. I had doctors send in my medical records. Adv 2000 warned me that SS tends to turn down the requests but Adv 2000 would make the appeal then 80% of the time, it was accepted. I got my benefits approved fast - within few weeks! My insurance and agency paid the fees to Adv 2000 to do the work. We had the agreement that once I get SS checks, I will pay back to Cigna with certain amount of money because Cigna paid me while waiting for the SS benefits. Also SS literally helps Cigna with the money. Interesting but as long as I get paid to replace my income, I am grateful. If any questions, please let me know.

Liz