to newbies & Thanks William & Sherri- uncle geting 2nd opinion in Tampa at MOFFIT

K_ann1015
K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
thanks for the sugestions on facilities in Florida area111---my aunt wanted mE to pass on the "thank you" she initially really thought they could stay local---but when finding out that the docs weren't as familiar with EC as they exspectd ---they took the reccomendation to go to Tampa--MOFFITT for a 2nd opionion.

I am sharing this--in case it helps someone newly diagnosed. My parents did not want to travel for treatment---but once you see the actual options and realize that your LIFE is TRULY at RISK---then you consider alternatives that you never did before.

My parents left far upstate NY (Thousand Island region near Cananda) many months early to where they live in the summer---North Carolina-12 hour drive I think. But even so--it is a 3 1/2 hour drive to Duke from there NC place. My aunt said that seeing my parents travel for treatment made her "consider" it necessary... It is a challenge---but I truly believe he would not be doing so well if he tried any thing in a small facility...

My dad is doing well with clean up chemo and slowly gaining more energy. My uncle needs prayers for his second opinion and there was a cancerous node above his collarbone.

Kim

Comments

• Pghmomma
    Pghmomma Member Posts: 141
    Kim
    All you have to do is ask and I will continue to pray harder for you and your family. I hope that your uncles second opinion goes well!

Best of luck

Ps, glad to hear that dad is doing well with his cleanup chemo, and getting energy that is a plus!!

tina
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Hi Kim,
    Thanks for the

Hi Kim,
    Thanks for the update. I have been thinking about all of you. Congratulations to your dad! I will continue to pray for your uncle and his family. It has been 3 weeks since my dad has passed, it has been hard, but each day is getting easier. Please continue for me, my mom, and our family to get through this difficult time. Keep us posted.
    Tina