Mom has Fever - Could it be Related to Cancer/Radiation

goldielocks222
goldielocks222 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I realize that I am reaching here as my question could have many answers, but I'm hoping someone might be able to offer an opinion.

Mom's brief history is the following:

NSC 3A tumor, lower left lung with a few lymph nodes.
Surgery to remover lower left lobe 9/14/10
4 Chemo sessions over 12 weeks (IV - no port)
5 weeks radiation (just finished 1 1/2 weeks ago)
Has huge brain meningioma (not related to lung) and is scheduled for surgery 1st week in May

My mom has had a fever since last Thursday and coincidently she also woke up with a tooth ache that day. Dentist was out of area so he called in antibiotics and is completing a root canal on her today. She asked him if the fever could be related to her tooth and he said he wasn't sure.

She is feeling ok (no flu symptoms), and of course she is really tired - a little bit more than normal.

She is being stubborn right now (yes, I know I can't possibly imagine what she is feeling right now) and she won't call her cancer docs. She is on vacation visiting me and my husband. She's afraid they may tell her to go to the hospital which is 4 hours away and frankly she is just tired and wanted to be "normal" for a few days.

So, to finally get to my question...
Could the fever be related to her cancer or maybe brain tumor? Do I need to call the doctors myself? She has been on antibiotics for 4 full days for her tooth and I would have thought the fever would have gone away by now.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Yes call ONC right now. She
    Yes call ONC right now. She has been on antibiotics so it's probably not strong enough but she may have another infection going on in her body.
  • augigi
    augigi Member Posts: 89
    Chemo and radiation
    Chemo and radiation definitely are designed to suppress your immune system. Unfortunately, that makes you very susceptible to infection which can be very serious. Definitely need to call oncologist and let them know what type of ABs she has had.
  • goldielocks222
    goldielocks222 Member Posts: 13
    augigi said:

Chemo and radiation
    Chemo and radiation definitely are designed to suppress your immune system. Unfortunately, that makes you very susceptible to infection which can be very serious. Definitely need to call oncologist and let them know what type of ABs she has had.

Update on our situation
    So, mom finally went to the ER today. They say she has a low potassium level and is slightly anemic. The low potassium level happened in the hospital when she had her lung removed. The anemia is something new and she doesn't remember having it before. She also has a little bit of fluid in/around/near her lung - not sure which one at the moment BUT the docs told her she would always have a little fluid where they removed the portion of her lung.

She was admitted to the hospital for dehydration and IV antibiotics since she still has fever. They won't drain her lung since she is a patient of the Moffitt Cancer Center - which we all agree with. They gave her paper diagnosis as Pleural Effusion and Pneumoina (they are not sure if it is the pneumonitis b/c they don't see it on the CT scan but say it could be hiding). We don't think she has pneumonia - she's not hacking or bringing stuff up, just a slight cough.

I called her cancer doc today but I was too late as when I found out they were admitting her it was already 4:55. I am going to call the doctor on call now and see what we can get.

I think she is getting the treatment she needs for tonight but I am ready to move her to her Cancer hospital tomorrow.

Can anyone offer any insight? Thank you all for reading and taking the time to reply.
  • augigi
    augigi Member Posts: 89

Update on our situation
    So, mom finally went to the ER today. They say she has a low potassium level and is slightly anemic. The low potassium level happened in the hospital when she had her lung removed. The anemia is something new and she doesn't remember having it before. She also has a little bit of fluid in/around/near her lung - not sure which one at the moment BUT the docs told her she would always have a little fluid where they removed the portion of her lung.

She was admitted to the hospital for dehydration and IV antibiotics since she still has fever. They won't drain her lung since she is a patient of the Moffitt Cancer Center - which we all agree with. They gave her paper diagnosis as Pleural Effusion and Pneumoina (they are not sure if it is the pneumonitis b/c they don't see it on the CT scan but say it could be hiding). We don't think she has pneumonia - she's not hacking or bringing stuff up, just a slight cough.

I called her cancer doc today but I was too late as when I found out they were admitting her it was already 4:55. I am going to call the doctor on call now and see what we can get.

I think she is getting the treatment she needs for tonight but I am ready to move her to her Cancer hospital tomorrow.

Can anyone offer any insight? Thank you all for reading and taking the time to reply.

Don't rule out pneumonia
    Don't rule out pneumonia just because she's not got a productive cough - the treatments are suppressing her immune system so sometimes infections show up a little differently. They can diagnose pneumonia based on the chest xray. Sounds like she's in the right place - IV ABs is what she needed in the short term. Many people getting chemo are anemic..unfortunately it gets the good cells as well as the bad ones.