Weight Watchers - Weigh In 3/29/10

Different Ballgame
Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
All I could think about last night while attending the Weight Watcher meeting is how am I going to tell you that I gained 2 oz.

Last night’s weigh-in yield a 2 oz. gain. If I try to be a little more normal – like other people – but still stay on the diet, it doesn’t work for me. I thought crab was a fish. After eating it, I found out that according to Weight Watchers, it’s a meat. I ate canned crab 3 times last week ($18/can is a little pricey). Weight Watchers allows you 3 meats (means 3 meals that you consume meat) a week. I generally eat 1 meat a week; once in a while 2 meats (inadvertently this week it became 4 meats). Because the produce did not look good, I did not buy asparagus nor the green beans. I need to eat these 2 vegetables in quantity in order to lose weight. All I can think of is even though I did eat Weight Watchers, I still gained 2 oz. . I was not severely strict with choices. The celery, cucumbers, red beets, and salads weren’t enough. Did not eat a breakfast on Saturday, so I increased the protein for lunch - chicken salad, 11 grain bread, fresh fruit.

I walked 5 days, 1 hour per day.

Total weight loss 7 lbs. 4 oz.

Determined Janelle

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I thought crab was a fish,
    I thought crab was a fish, too. Who knew? Your 2 oz. gain, I'm certain, is a direct result of all your walking and you have obviously increased your muscle mass. That's a good thing, huh? You stayed on the Weight Watchers plan for the week and that's worth something too. Keep up the good work and next week you'll see that loss on the scale. Good luck and stay determined!!
  • Different Ballgame
    MyTurnNow said:

I thought crab was a fish,
    I thought crab was a fish, too. Who knew? Your 2 oz. gain, I'm certain, is a direct result of all your walking and you have obviously increased your muscle mass. That's a good thing, huh? You stayed on the Weight Watchers plan for the week and that's worth something too. Keep up the good work and next week you'll see that loss on the scale. Good luck and stay determined!!

It is a Fish
    It is a fish, but in Weight Watcher world, they are counting it as a meat, not as a fish. I will ask my Weight Watcher counselor about this classification. It must have something to do with how the body processes the crab for digestion.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    2 oz. on an "honest mistake"
    2 oz. on an "honest mistake" is perfectly acceptable and understandable! It isn't as if you threw caution to the wind and gorged yourself on cream-filled pastries or something! You had all good intentions, ( wait! Isn't the Road to hell paved with them?? LOL) and I hope you are not too disappointed at a 2 oz gain. The main thing is, you are doing wonderfully! Especially with the continued walking!

Speaking of vegetables, while waiting at the Drs office this week, I leafed through WW Magazine, and read that vegetable juices, such as V8 are healthy and acceptable vegetable choices. Especially perhaps when the market choices aren't so fresh or appetizing.

We are all so proud of you! Continuing to be so diligent, and posting your progress is such a boost to all of us! Thanks soooo much!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

It is a Fish
    It is a fish, but in Weight Watcher world, they are counting it as a meat, not as a fish. I will ask my Weight Watcher counselor about this classification. It must have something to do with how the body processes the crab for digestion.

Tomato-To-mah-to
    I am no expert (on anything!) but I think perhaps it is because crabs, lobster, etc are crusteceans and don't have scales/gills, that they are considered meat! I know oftentimes a recipe will call for say, 2 0z of crab-MEAT, or a menu will describe a crab-MEAT dish.....

In the same vein, I remember thinking that all seafood is healthy, only to find out that shrimp and lobster are so high in cholesterol that I have all but excised them from my diet! I erroneously thought only butter, cheese,mayo, and saturated fats were the cholestrol -laden foods, but NO!!!

You are still one amazing, weight-losing woman, no matter what!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Don't sweat it. Weight
    Don't sweat it. Weight varies. It's the overall total amount that counts. Just keep working at it. You're doing marvelous!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Janelle,
    Increasing your

Janelle,
    Increasing your muscle will affect weight loss so though you gain 2 oz (and that is miniscual) you are still losing fat which is the goal. Don't fret. Also flucuations will occur. Maybe next week you will have a significate loss. And you are doing all the healthy stuff so keep up the good work. You are inspired me and I have been doing some exercising and eating healthier and have lost 3 lbs in the last two weeks. So post even when you have these little tiny gains because then I won't be discouraged if it happens to me. I am using the diabetic guidelines that my hubby and I were given at the class we attended. Same for the exercise. Very simple to do actually. So thank you my friend for blazing the trail.
    Stef
  • Different Ballgame
    fauxma said:

Janelle,
    Increasing your

Janelle,
    Increasing your muscle will affect weight loss so though you gain 2 oz (and that is miniscual) you are still losing fat which is the goal. Don't fret. Also flucuations will occur. Maybe next week you will have a significate loss. And you are doing all the healthy stuff so keep up the good work. You are inspired me and I have been doing some exercising and eating healthier and have lost 3 lbs in the last two weeks. So post even when you have these little tiny gains because then I won't be discouraged if it happens to me. I am using the diabetic guidelines that my hubby and I were given at the class we attended. Same for the exercise. Very simple to do actually. So thank you my friend for blazing the trail.
    Stef

I Am Happy For You
    Stef,

Do you think muscle can develop that quickly? Fluctuations happen daily - amazing. Earlier in the 7 day-week I was down 3 lbs. Then to end up with a 2 oz. gain - go figure.

I am thrilled that I have inspired you and that you are doing some exercising and eating healthier. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss of 3 lbs. Keep posting!!!

The one thing about exercising - the more you do - the more limber you become. I feel the ease of stretching when I am reaching for something. It's a nice feeling.

I will tell you that I was embarrassed to report that I gained 2 oz. I wanted to crawl in a hole. But then I thought, "No, you made a commitment to report to this site, and report you will do." Thank you so much for your kind words.

In fact, thank you to everyone for all your support and encouragement. I noticed that last week more people were interested in the weight report. I must admit that it did make me feel good.

Hugs,
    Janelle
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    2 oz can be water!
    Dearest Determined Janelle,

Forgive yourself--and HUG yourself! I agree that 2 oz is a miniscule gain that could be muscle gain; furthermore, it could easily be water and not either fat or muscle. If you had gained several pounds, then you might want to revisit your choices, but please don't beat yourself up over 2 ounces!

I find that my weight fluctuates by a pound or more daily. How much of that is water, how much is what I ate yesterday (I weigh in the morning), and how much of that is atmospheric pressure affecting my scales? I don't know. I decided long ago not to worry about weighing more one day; if I weigh more over several days, then I know I need to cut down.

I am still SOOOOO impressed that you are walking an hour a day consistently! That exercise is FAR more important than those piddling 2 ounces! You rock, woman!

Love, Sandy
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member

2 oz can be water!
    Dearest Determined Janelle,

Forgive yourself--and HUG yourself! I agree that 2 oz is a miniscule gain that could be muscle gain; furthermore, it could easily be water and not either fat or muscle. If you had gained several pounds, then you might want to revisit your choices, but please don't beat yourself up over 2 ounces!

I find that my weight fluctuates by a pound or more daily. How much of that is water, how much is what I ate yesterday (I weigh in the morning), and how much of that is atmospheric pressure affecting my scales? I don't know. I decided long ago not to worry about weighing more one day; if I weigh more over several days, then I know I need to cut down.

I am still SOOOOO impressed that you are walking an hour a day consistently! That exercise is FAR more important than those piddling 2 ounces! You rock, woman!

Love, Sandy

Absolutely
    Janelle,

First of all, I'd LOVE to be able to say I've lost 7 pounds. So good on you.

Second, I started walking three miles a day, and I mean almost every day the day I went to see my medical oncologist -- seeing the people oozing out of her office after their chemo appointments just scared the heck out of me. I got up the very next morning and started walking BECAUSE I CAN. I even walked two miles the day after my surgery.

But the frustrating thing is I've gained two pounds. Everybody tells me "oh, it's muscle mass." I hope so. I'm changing what I eat -- tons of fruit and vegetables. And still, same old two pounds extra.

I'll keep walking because it's good for me, but it's frustrating not to see any weight loss.

Keep walking, and I will too.

Victoria