2»

Comments

• Kathy T
    Kathy T Member Posts: 22
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

If you don't mine me asking
    If you don't mine me asking how long did it take for your hair to come back? I finished in my chemo in December of 2009 and my hair is coming back but SLOW--just wondering how long it take for it to come back? The weather is getting warmer and the wig is becoming very hot. Thanks for your time.
    Kathy
  • Kathy T said:

If you don't mine me asking
    If you don't mine me asking how long did it take for your hair to come back? I finished in my chemo in December of 2009 and my hair is coming back but SLOW--just wondering how long it take for it to come back? The weather is getting warmer and the wig is becoming very hot. Thanks for your time.
    Kathy

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Going Fuzzy Headed to Dunkin Donuts
    I drive to work without my wig everyday. I stop at Dunkin Donuts to get coffee and forgot to put on my wig...the looks I got made me laugh all the way to work. Funny, I wasn't embarrased I just thought it was funny how they were looking and when I made eye contact they would look away.

I purchased a cap from Hot Topic that has the face of a cartoon character and anntena as ears that stick out from the cap.

I am serious at work but like to have fun with the headgear when I can.

MK
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    insurance paid for mine!
    Hi, Carlene!

I just want everybody to know that it is very possible that your insurance will pay for your wig! I couldn't believe it; I read it in the 'Women & Cancer' magazine.

So you have your doctor write a prescription for a "Head Prosthesis", and mail it in to the insurance company with your wig receipt. Mine was $189., and they sent me a check!! I
    couldn't believe it!

My wig is synthetic, and now that my hair is starting to grow, it's pretty itchy, but I love it. My husband says "it looks better than your real hair ever did"!! LOL

All your insurance company can do is say "no", so go for it, and good luck!

~Susan
  • catcan
    catcan Member Posts: 119
    Options
    Susan523 said:

insurance paid for mine!
    Hi, Carlene!

I just want everybody to know that it is very possible that your insurance will pay for your wig! I couldn't believe it; I read it in the 'Women & Cancer' magazine.

So you have your doctor write a prescription for a "Head Prosthesis", and mail it in to the insurance company with your wig receipt. Mine was $189., and they sent me a check!! I
    couldn't believe it!

My wig is synthetic, and now that my hair is starting to grow, it's pretty itchy, but I love it. My husband says "it looks better than your real hair ever did"!! LOL

All your insurance company can do is say "no", so go for it, and good luck!

~Susan

ACS
    The American Cancer Society will also give you a free wig all you have to do is call and make and appt. I likes the scarvesthe lighter silky ones in the summer and I would just tie them at my right shouder they really looked good. Now I have my man hair and just go out like that. It is getting longer but went very grey, and not sure if I want to color it.

Cat
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    catcan said:

ACS
    The American Cancer Society will also give you a free wig all you have to do is call and make and appt. I likes the scarvesthe lighter silky ones in the summer and I would just tie them at my right shouder they really looked good. Now I have my man hair and just go out like that. It is getting longer but went very grey, and not sure if I want to color it.

Cat

GREY
    My 'man hair' is very grey too. Much more grey then it was previously. I color it though. Way too vain to go out with grey hair.
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Not much of an issue for me
    I finished chemo 2/23, and have a fuzzy crop of grayish hair coming back in-my eyebrows are starting to make an appearance, too, but slowly. I've been wearing the bob-styled (synthetic) wig I bought in 2002 for my first chemo treatments. It has sufficed, and now that the weather has warmed up, I've been wearing a kerchief a bit when I'm running errands. I've penciled in some eyebrows occasionally, and have used a little eyeliner to make my eyes look more normal.

Hair hasn't been a big factor in my life-I guess it goes back to the natural look so many of us were trying to maintain while I was in high school and beyond. I've had my tryouts with perms, but the only thing that I've done consistently for more that a few years is color my hair, which I plan to continue doing!

All that being said, I am reading these posts with interest. I think it's important to share ideas that may help someone.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    nancy591 said:

GREY
    My 'man hair' is very grey too. Much more grey then it was previously. I color it though. Way too vain to go out with grey hair.

"Man hair".......I love it!
    "Man hair".......I love it! No doubt mine (man hair/new hair) will be gray when it comes in, too. By then, a pretty good chunk of time will have passed (two years or so) and I'm certianly not getting any younger.

Prior to the Big C, I colored my hair, but it had never turned gray all over - just the very front.

Is your hair long enough to go "commando head", Nancy? Like, Jamie Lee Curtis long? Or do you still wear head gear when you go out?

A few tips about wearing wigs, from my wig stylist...
    Get it off your face. Most women pull their wig down too low on the forehead. I find that the long bangs help disguise my fake eyebrows, but the way to determine the proper placement for your wig front is this: put your hand flat against your brow. Your wig should "sit" four fingers up from your eyebrows (or where your eyebrows are supposed to be, in our case).
  • Susan523
    Susan523 Member Posts: 231 Member
    Options

Not much of an issue for me
    I finished chemo 2/23, and have a fuzzy crop of grayish hair coming back in-my eyebrows are starting to make an appearance, too, but slowly. I've been wearing the bob-styled (synthetic) wig I bought in 2002 for my first chemo treatments. It has sufficed, and now that the weather has warmed up, I've been wearing a kerchief a bit when I'm running errands. I've penciled in some eyebrows occasionally, and have used a little eyeliner to make my eyes look more normal.

Hair hasn't been a big factor in my life-I guess it goes back to the natural look so many of us were trying to maintain while I was in high school and beyond. I've had my tryouts with perms, but the only thing that I've done consistently for more that a few years is color my hair, which I plan to continue doing!

All that being said, I am reading these posts with interest. I think it's important to share ideas that may help someone.

Hair growth
    Hi, groundeffect,

You might want to try taking some Biotin, Flaxseed Oil, Vit A + B vitamins to promote hair growth. (Biotin makes your nails grow fast,too). They have them all at Wal-Mart.

I'm in that "less than man-hair" stage; and I'm sure I'll soon have the "Eddie Munster" werewolf hair on my face! (had it waxed off last time.... it's weird how I get that after chemo).

Good luck!
    ~Susan xoox
  • nancy591
    Options

"Man hair".......I love it!
    "Man hair".......I love it! No doubt mine (man hair/new hair) will be gray when it comes in, too. By then, a pretty good chunk of time will have passed (two years or so) and I'm certianly not getting any younger.

Prior to the Big C, I colored my hair, but it had never turned gray all over - just the very front.

Is your hair long enough to go "commando head", Nancy? Like, Jamie Lee Curtis long? Or do you still wear head gear when you go out?

A few tips about wearing wigs, from my wig stylist...
    Get it off your face. Most women pull their wig down too low on the forehead. I find that the long bangs help disguise my fake eyebrows, but the way to determine the proper placement for your wig front is this: put your hand flat against your brow. Your wig should "sit" four fingers up from your eyebrows (or where your eyebrows are supposed to be, in our case).

hair
    The pic you see is my actual hair. It isn't man hair anymore. I stopped wearing my wig about 10 weeks after chemo. I thought I had a lot of hair at the time. I look back and I look bald!! I have pics on my FB account of when I stopped wearing my wig. It is in album 'preK and K graduation'.

I too like a wig with bangs to hide my eyebrows, or lack of. I never found one I liked. That is why asked about yours. I really like it!
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Susan523 said:

Hair growth
    Hi, groundeffect,

You might want to try taking some Biotin, Flaxseed Oil, Vit A + B vitamins to promote hair growth. (Biotin makes your nails grow fast,too). They have them all at Wal-Mart.

I'm in that "less than man-hair" stage; and I'm sure I'll soon have the "Eddie Munster" werewolf hair on my face! (had it waxed off last time.... it's weird how I get that after chemo).

Good luck!
    ~Susan xoox

Susan: I too am in the 'fuzzies' stage of brandnew growth
    My last chemo was mid-February, so I am also in the 'less-than-man-hair' stage, with just '5-o-clock shadow' on my head and the beginnings of some facial fuzzies and the start of the crazy-wide eyebrows I remember came back after my initial treatments were over. As thrilling as it is to again be getting eyebrows, last time I had to have my returning-eyebrows waxed because they came in twice as wide as my orihinal brows. On a happy note: I remember that my LASHES came in twice as thick too! Looks like I will be very grey this time, and will be coloring my hair as soon as it is an inch long, maybe sooner!

(Oh PLEASE let my hair get at least an inch long!! I have a CA-125 draw on Thursday that may end my brief remission and throw me back into chemo. My oncologists have been calling this 'remission' a 'chemo break' since my CA-125 was in the mid-40's when I got my clear scan and we decided to cease chemo for a couple of months and see what my CA125 does.)
  • nancy591
    Options
    Susan523 said:

Hair growth
    Hi, groundeffect,

Good luck!
    ~Susan xoox

YES to facial hair!
    Yes to the facial hair. I never knew that was a common after effect. You did wax it? I was afraid to. It is less now. Thankfully I have blonde hair otherwise I would have waxed it. I have been off carbo/taxol for one year now.

My eyelashes aren't what they were. I always had super thick and long lashes. With mascara they would look fake. Now they are straight and stubby. I am happy with what I have though!!!

The hair on my head is a different texture. Course (sp?) and dry. Leave in conditioner etc doesn't really help.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    nancy591 said:

hair
    The pic you see is my actual hair. It isn't man hair anymore. I stopped wearing my wig about 10 weeks after chemo. I thought I had a lot of hair at the time. I look back and I look bald!! I have pics on my FB account of when I stopped wearing my wig. It is in album 'preK and K graduation'.

I too like a wig with bangs to hide my eyebrows, or lack of. I never found one I liked. That is why asked about yours. I really like it!

Wow...your hair looks great.
    Wow...your hair looks great. It looks almost exactly like my wig. I thought we had chosen the same one, only in different colors.

Just in case, mine is a Renee of Paris "Wendy", and here's a link to an EBay store that sells them. This is the cheapest price I've seen.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rene-of-Paris-AMORE-MONO-Wig-WENDY_W0QQitemZ370346539946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions?hash=item563a5fbbaa

Carlene
  • fancynancy
    fancynancy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Wigs
    Hi,

After several rounds of chemo I started to lose my hair. I decided to shave it and check out getting a wig. I wanted to test the feeling of wearing a wig, as I live in Florida and it's Hot. I contacted Cancer Care where I was informed that they will supply me with a wig of my choice at no charge. It worked out great - and have been complimented several times as to my different hair styles.

Hope this helps. It was great for me.