when does the arimidex start?

Options
terri805
terri805 Member Posts: 122
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am in the fourth week of rads and I am wondering when I will probably start taking Arimidex? I will ask my onco but I don't see him for several weeks so I was just wondering if there is a usual time after rads are finished?

Comments

  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    For me...
    I saw my med onc soon - a week or so, I think - after full completion of rads. And that's when we discussed oral meds. If you're in your 4th week of rads - you've probably got a few weeks left to go. So, don't worry.

    Kind regards, Susan
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    For me I started Femara last Saturday
    I have not had rads yet and my onc started me on Femara last week. Femara and Arimidex are in the same family of drugs to treat ER+PR+ tumors.

    Start time can be different according to your onc.

    Dona
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Terri, I saw my onc shortly
    Terri, I saw my onc shortly after rads and started Arimidex approximately one month after completion. I have been on it now for around 2 months with no noticable side effects (knocking on wood). Good luck to you, you're almost done!!
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

    Terri, I saw my onc shortly
    Terri, I saw my onc shortly after rads and started Arimidex approximately one month after completion. I have been on it now for around 2 months with no noticable side effects (knocking on wood). Good luck to you, you're almost done!!

    Dear MyTurnNow
    That's music to my ears - no side affects. I think if you get beyond 4 months with no side affects, the future looks pretty good with the continuation of no side affects. I had a friend who completed 5 years on Arimidex with no side affects.

    Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    My Decision - I Waited 1 Month After Rads
    Dear Terri,

    It was my decision to wait one month after radiation when I saw my medical oncologist. I was not sure if I wanted to take the oral 5-year chemo drug and did much research. I think my medical oncologist wanted to see me sooner than those 4 weeks after rads.

    If you are curious I did opt to go on the drug she recommended, Arimidex, because I also have the option to stop taking the drug whenever I choose. So far so good - no side affects.

    Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options

    My Decision - I Waited 1 Month After Rads
    Dear Terri,

    It was my decision to wait one month after radiation when I saw my medical oncologist. I was not sure if I wanted to take the oral 5-year chemo drug and did much research. I think my medical oncologist wanted to see me sooner than those 4 weeks after rads.

    If you are curious I did opt to go on the drug she recommended, Arimidex, because I also have the option to stop taking the drug whenever I choose. So far so good - no side affects.

    Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

    confused
    Hi Janelle,

    But was it suggested you wait till after rads were done?

    Victoria
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm not on Arimidex but
    I'm not on Arimidex but rather Femara. I started it a week after I started radiation; which also happened to be 2 weeks after the last Taxol.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    aisling8 said:

    confused
    Hi Janelle,

    But was it suggested you wait till after rads were done?

    Victoria

    Don't Mean to Confuse you
    Victoria,

    You are correct in that my medical oncologist did not want to see me until I finished my rads. I think I was supposed to make an appointment after I finished with rads...not after my 4 week check-up with the radiation oncologist. I decided to prolong it and waited to make the appointment after the 4 week check up. I finished rads on Monday, January 18. I saw my radiation oncologist for the 4-week check up on Friday, February 19. I saw my medical oncologist on Wednesday, March 3.

    I hope this clears up the confusion. Normally, I am so detailed, that I decided to be brief. Just goes to show you that brief is not always clear.

    Hugs,
    Janelle
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

    I'm not on Arimidex but
    I'm not on Arimidex but rather Femara. I started it a week after I started radiation; which also happened to be 2 weeks after the last Taxol.

    I am going on tamoxifen for
    I am going on tamoxifen for 2 years then arimedex. and the bone med twice a year of which the name escapes me. My onc wants to see me my last week of rads. My rad onc said I could start it anytime. i said thanks but no thanks. one thing at a time.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

    For me I started Femara last Saturday
    I have not had rads yet and my onc started me on Femara last week. Femara and Arimidex are in the same family of drugs to treat ER+PR+ tumors.

    Start time can be different according to your onc.

    Dona

    I think you start taking it
    I think you start taking it after you finish with rads. Good luck!


    Sue :)
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    carkris said:

    I am going on tamoxifen for
    I am going on tamoxifen for 2 years then arimedex. and the bone med twice a year of which the name escapes me. My onc wants to see me my last week of rads. My rad onc said I could start it anytime. i said thanks but no thanks. one thing at a time.

    Thanks for asking
    I was wondering the same thing. I guess you take it about a week to a month AFTER rads are completed. Nice! a break sounds good to me.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    armidex
    I started taking it two weeks after radiation ended.good luck.
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    ppurdin said:

    armidex
    I started taking it two weeks after radiation ended.good luck.

    got some clarity
    Okay, the medical onc said oh, start now, but today I had my final placement appointment (they go a little crazy with those blue pens, don't you think??), and the rads onc said to wait till after rads to begin the Arimidex because I'd be hot flashing. Don't know if she was concerned about my comfort or if there's a technical medical reason, I just know I am more than happy to wait seven weeks to begin taking a medication that's going to make me feel yukky.

    Victoria
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    aisling8 said:

    got some clarity
    Okay, the medical onc said oh, start now, but today I had my final placement appointment (they go a little crazy with those blue pens, don't you think??), and the rads onc said to wait till after rads to begin the Arimidex because I'd be hot flashing. Don't know if she was concerned about my comfort or if there's a technical medical reason, I just know I am more than happy to wait seven weeks to begin taking a medication that's going to make me feel yukky.

    Victoria

    Let's think positive, Victoria!
    Maybe you and I will be the ones with no side effects! Wouldn't that be wonderful!
    Please let me know how it goes once you start on the Arimidex. I should be starting in about 7 weeks.
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Mama G said:

    Let's think positive, Victoria!
    Maybe you and I will be the ones with no side effects! Wouldn't that be wonderful!
    Please let me know how it goes once you start on the Arimidex. I should be starting in about 7 weeks.

    Mama G, I just love you
    Mama G, I just love you photo. It is cute and upbeat and looks like everone is doing ok in there. Thanks, I needed that since I am on my way to rads next. Thanks for the encoragement your smile is sending across. So glad you are doing well !!!!