plastic surgeon second opinions

Options
jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My surgeon & I are discussing my trans flap reconstruction when I go in to have my other breast removed. He highly recommends the pl. surgeon he works with.I have done a lot of research on this pl. surgeon. I have done a trust my surgeon and will meet the pl. surgeon next month. Do you all recommend second opinions from plastic surgeons?

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I had a lumpectomy, but, I
    I had a lumpectomy, but, I would probably get a 2nd opinion, just to be sure that I have been given all of the options and the best way for me. Good luck!

HUGS
  • rm22111
    rm22111 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    second opinion
    I did not even think about getting a second opinion and just talked to the plastic surgeon that my surgeon had recommended. After talking with other women I wish that I had ask the surgeon if she had any other plastic surgeons I could talk to before deciding. The one I have is not easy to get information from. All my other doctors give me a lot of information. He is a good surgeon I just have to ask a lot of questions.

rm22111
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    I didn't
    At the end of the day you need to be happy with the choice you made. I didn't get a 2nd opinion for a few reasons: the P.S. that my surgeon recommended has a super reputation for getting great results and I was having phase one reconstruction at the same time as the double mastectomy and didn't want to delay having the cancer removed. The other recommended P.S. couldn't see me for more than a week. I refer to my P.S. as "the turd" because he is arrogant and a poor communicator. I have to remind myself that (for me)getting a good result is most important. I have to deal with him for months, I will have to live with these fake boobs for years (hopefully). So, I put up with the turd :).

Best of luck, trust youtr gut.

Hugs, El
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I believe
    JP, I think that second opinions should be an option if you are uncomfortable with what you are hearing from others. I always remind myself that I don't know, but I certainly know how I feel. If you feel you need to do something more or different, just do it.
    My experience is Drs minimize everything they are not alarmists. They on the other hand believe we are and often times people are not listened to because "They are the doctor and know."
    This goes back to surgery for a my knee 30 years ago when the doctor didn't listen to me about the stiches he left in my leg on the other side of those he removed. I was pissed because I knew I was using the coat hanger on both sides. Second opinion would have been good. He assured me he was the doctor and knew how many he put in my leg. Another 6 weeks later and the cast was lifted with stiches staring the nurses in the face.
    Fibrous cysts to minimizing one's chances of even getting the disease. Whatever it is they only do what they believe to be true as well. Listening to our souls is the best we can do.
    It certainly never hurts.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    A Good Doctor Never Fears a Second Opinion
    My oncology surgeon recommended 3 plastic surgeons because they worked together and their schedules were compatible, but he was willing to work with another plastic surgeon if I wanted someone other than the 3 he recommended. Initially, I researched the background of 2 that he recommended. I could not decide on which one I wanted to interview since both had excellent qualifications and backgrounds. Check to see where they went to school, where they interned, where they did their residency. I finally made a decision and interviewed one doctor. I walked into his office with butterflies in my stomach and walked out of his office calm as could be. He was the one I choose to do the surgery. My plastic surgeon is not only skilled but compassionate. He has a calming effect on everyone.

You can also ask to speak to some of his former patients.

Good luck. This is a major decision for you.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

A Good Doctor Never Fears a Second Opinion
    My oncology surgeon recommended 3 plastic surgeons because they worked together and their schedules were compatible, but he was willing to work with another plastic surgeon if I wanted someone other than the 3 he recommended. Initially, I researched the background of 2 that he recommended. I could not decide on which one I wanted to interview since both had excellent qualifications and backgrounds. Check to see where they went to school, where they interned, where they did their residency. I finally made a decision and interviewed one doctor. I walked into his office with butterflies in my stomach and walked out of his office calm as could be. He was the one I choose to do the surgery. My plastic surgeon is not only skilled but compassionate. He has a calming effect on everyone.

You can also ask to speak to some of his former patients.

Good luck. This is a major decision for you.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

No doctor should feel
    No doctor should feel offended if you choose a second opinion. I would get one just to be sure. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Leeza
  • TulsaMomof3
    TulsaMomof3 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    jnl said:

No doctor should feel
    No doctor should feel offended if you choose a second opinion. I would get one just to be sure. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Leeza

I am in the same place as
    I am in the same place as you! My doctor highly refered one Pl and I got an additional opnion on my own. The pl my plastic surgen recomended was amazing I am looking forward to her doing the TRAM flap surgery. The one I went to on my one talked AT me not to me, made me feel like a number not a person. The second opinion confirmed for me the the one my doctor reccomended was the best. NOw I feel very confident in my choice
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

I am in the same place as
    I am in the same place as you! My doctor highly refered one Pl and I got an additional opnion on my own. The pl my plastic surgen recomended was amazing I am looking forward to her doing the TRAM flap surgery. The one I went to on my one talked AT me not to me, made me feel like a number not a person. The second opinion confirmed for me the the one my doctor reccomended was the best. NOw I feel very confident in my choice

I totally agree with the
    I totally agree with the others. Getting a 2nd opinion is fairly common and if you feel the need to, you should do it. It might just confirm the first one and that should give you some relief. Wishing you luck!

Sue :)