hair growth

Options
lizmair
lizmair Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just finished my last chemo and am waiting to start radiation. Anyone know how long it takes for your hair to start growing back. Thanks

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Hair
    Congratulations on finishing chemo! What a big accomplishment! I finished chemo on October 9th. I think it was early Feb and I stopped wearing my scarves and hats to work. Since then, my hair has really grown in. I even had it trimmed last Thursday!

Everyone is different, though. I hope your's comes in quickly! Good luck with radiation!
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    Options
    pattimc said:

Hair
    Congratulations on finishing chemo! What a big accomplishment! I finished chemo on October 9th. I think it was early Feb and I stopped wearing my scarves and hats to work. Since then, my hair has really grown in. I even had it trimmed last Thursday!

Everyone is different, though. I hope your's comes in quickly! Good luck with radiation!

I finished chemo the end of November and my hair is about 1/2 in long now.

Everyone is different though. Mine started falling out 12 after my first treatment.

Congrats on your first accomplishment. Moving onward and upward!
  • cantthink
    cantthink Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Sharon_D said:

I finished chemo the end of November and my hair is about 1/2 in long now.

Everyone is different though. Mine started falling out 12 after my first treatment.

Congrats on your first accomplishment. Moving onward and upward!

mine is!
    I finished mid Feb, and my hair is growing, at least 2 mm!!! Yippie! I'missed it sooo much!
    And I'm 58, but it's coming back. Hope the cancer doesn't!!!!
    I hate wigs! Good luck to us all!
  • BethInAz
    BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hair!
    Hi Lizmair! I finished up on Feb 9. The oncologist said my hair would start growing in 2 months. It's been 7 weeks now and I'm seeing really light, fine baby hair, especially on the sides and back of my head. On the top of my head it looks like a 5:00 shadow! Top of my head looks darker; sides look silver. I'm wondering if I'm going to be the reverse of a skunk! My hairdresser talked about shaving it again with the thought that it would come in thicker but I just don't have the heart to do that. When the new stuff begins growing it, I'll probably do some trimming on my own to get everything the same length (I didn't lose all of my hair so I have long pieces and now short pieces).
    What a silly thing!
    I hope yours grows in really FAST!
    Beth
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Last chemo was 2/17
    and my hair is just starting to come in, but not ready to ditch the hats/scarves just yet. A few hairs are longer that hung on from the chemo, but most are very short, more like razor stubble. I'm hoping to be able to wear my hair in another month or so.

Congratulations on finishing chemo, and good luck on the rads! I just had my 8th out of 30 this morning.

Cindy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Liz, I think it is different
    Liz, I think it is different for everyone. I finished chemo on 10/15/09 and my hair is now 1-1/2 inches long. I had it colored, with the approval of my onc, on February 13th. That was my first day of being free, again, meaning no head coverings. Good luck to you and just know you'll be there soon!! Oh yeah, congratulations on finishing chemo...that's a milestone in itself.
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hiar
    I finished chemo on 10/23/09 and still not enough hair to give up the wig.....I'm hoping I can get rid of it by the time the warm weather hits.

Congrats on finishing chemo....it's such a good feeling to be done with that phase.

Judy
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    My Hair is a liiltle over a 1/4 inch long
    My Hair is a liiltle over a 1/4 inch long. My last chemo was the 26th of Feb. My hair started growing back before I had my last chemo. It used to grow really fast hope it still does. It looks like it is going to be about the same color (med brown)that it was before it fell out 19 days after my first chemo.

Congrats on finishing chemo.

Donna
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

My Hair is a liiltle over a 1/4 inch long
    My Hair is a liiltle over a 1/4 inch long. My last chemo was the 26th of Feb. My hair started growing back before I had my last chemo. It used to grow really fast hope it still does. It looks like it is going to be about the same color (med brown)that it was before it fell out 19 days after my first chemo.

Congrats on finishing chemo.

Donna

My hair
    My hair also grew back while on chemo. I continued to shave my own head until I felt hair all over my head and then let it be and came in thick and super soft.

Mine has grown so fast. I've had one hair cut and going for my second one next week--my hair is below my ears and the curls are winging out. Love the curls I have--I know that they might not be there for the rest of my life but while I have them I'm going to enjoy them.

Margo
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

My hair
    My hair also grew back while on chemo. I continued to shave my own head until I felt hair all over my head and then let it be and came in thick and super soft.

Mine has grown so fast. I've had one hair cut and going for my second one next week--my hair is below my ears and the curls are winging out. Love the curls I have--I know that they might not be there for the rest of my life but while I have them I'm going to enjoy them.

Margo

finished jan 21st at first I
    finished jan 21st at first I didnt see much, then it seemed all the sudden at 6 weeks. Still need to wear a scarf, and the hair looks darker with more gray. I was dishwater blonde thatI foiled with very little gray. Oh well. noticed hair on my legs today as well. It came in first in other regions. any way i have slow growing hair, so hope your hair grows fast!!! Oh yeah so excited, I have my eyebrows and wore mascara the other day. short but doable eyelashes!!!!
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Options
    I finished chemo Jan 4th
    Hi Liz,

I finished chemo A/C (just 4 rounds) Jan 4th. I had buzzed my hair at the beginning cuz it was going down the drain in the shower like crazy....and then used one of those "sticky lint rollers" to remove ALOT more, right down to ALMOST bald! My hair NOW looks like a complete dark head with some to spare. No more bald. It is like a very, very, very, did I mention very? short haircut...shorter than most boys,.but it is coming..my husband says that soon I will have to use a comb! hahaha..
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Options
    Hair
    Mine started growing back about 2 months after chemo ended. I still wore wigs and scarves during rads. I've had a couple of haircuts since it grew in, trying to make sense out of this new hair I've got. One side has a wave in it, the rest is straight. I couldn't take the steel color any more and last week got my first dye since it fell out. I am still trying to decide if I will need to go back to the perms, but don't want to.

I believe its different for everyone like they said. I was hoping to get thick curly dark auburn hair, but I got back my gray, limp, straight hair. Guess its meant to be that way.

But have faith - it will grow back!!!!

Hugs -
    Pat
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181
    Options
    Done with Chemo.
    Good for you.I stopped Chemo in Oct.And I shed my wig a month ago.but i had to shave mine twice.Good luck.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Liz
    Last chemo was 1/18, it took 4 weeks to start growing back. I'm still more scalp than hair. Its coming in dark gray and white. The top of my head feels like an angora sweater its so soft and fuzzy. I keep rubbing it. I'm anxious to get my blond Farrah hair again.
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    We all want our hair back!
    It's funny, but I guess we all want our hair to grow back immediately! It just can't seem to happen soon enough. I finished chemo on Feb. 4th and have looked in the mirror very closely every day... I'd probably look with a magnifying glass if I had one just to find new growth. It's not happening fast with me. Within the past couple days, I've noticed that very bear spots that were as smooth as a baby's bottom now have stubbles and my head is beginning to look like a man's 5:00 shadow. A very good friend of mine, who is also a hair stylist, has bought me Nioxin shampoo & conditioner. She said it stimulates hair follicles and accelerates hair growth. I sure hope it helps because I am just SOOOOO tired of wearing a wig!

Good luck with radiation. So far I don't have many complaints and I'm a whole lot less tired than I was on chemo. I also started exercising two weeks into rads, which I believe has contributed to being less tired.

Hugs, Mar
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

It's funny, but I guess we all want our hair to grow back immediately! It just can't seem to happen soon enough. I finished chemo on Feb. 4th and have looked in the mirror very closely every day... I'd probably look with a magnifying glass if I had one just to find new growth. It's not happening fast with me. Within the past couple days, I've noticed that very bear spots that were as smooth as a baby's bottom now have stubbles and my head is beginning to look like a man's 5:00 shadow. A very good friend of mine, who is also a hair stylist, has bought me Nioxin shampoo & conditioner. She said it stimulates hair follicles and accelerates hair growth. I sure hope it helps because I am just SOOOOO tired of wearing a wig!

Good luck with radiation. So far I don't have many complaints and I'm a whole lot less tired than I was on chemo. I also started exercising two weeks into rads, which I believe has contributed to being less tired.

Hugs, Mar

Marlene
    I have heard this before about nioxin. Where do you buy this ?
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Marlene
    I have heard this before about nioxin. Where do you buy this ?

She got it at JC Penny's
    She got it at JC Penny's because that's where she works, but she said they sell it in a lot of places like Wal-mart, Target, etc. Let's hope it works!
  • kumanakaya
    kumanakaya Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It varies
    or so I've been told. I had my head shaved today, it's been three weeks since my first chemo session and I got my wig today. To all of you who now have hair again, congratulations! I can't wait!

Good luck!
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Marlene_K said:

Hugs, Mar

Ditto Marlene
    I'm so sick of my wig. I started getting fuzz on my head after I started Taxotere. I have a long way to go before I get rid of scarfs and that cumbersome wig. I'm grateful I have a wig, but will look forward to having my own hair back. Before I even think of exposing my head, I'll have to color it. I'm so salt with just a dash of pepper.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Ditto Marlene
    I'm so sick of my wig. I started getting fuzz on my head after I started Taxotere. I have a long way to go before I get rid of scarfs and that cumbersome wig. I'm grateful I have a wig, but will look forward to having my own hair back. Before I even think of exposing my head, I'll have to color it. I'm so salt with just a dash of pepper.

Natly
    I'm with you on the hair color. I also won't give up the cover until I color this head.