Just found this site on Friday!

heidijez
heidijez Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer in mid-December. I had no idea that this site existed! It would have been so helpful because I was in treatment before I realized what was happening!!! What a wealth of information! And how wonderful to hear from other women who are experiencing the SAME THINGS I am. No matter how well meaning your friends are, unless they have experienced this, they really do not know what you are dealing with. I have my sixth chemo this week, then re-evaluation to determine next steps. I am told it could be more chemo (with different drugs), radiation, surgery, or a combination of all. I have to say the thought of the mastectomy is freaking me out. But I have also learned that I am a very strong woman and have dealt with everything so far.

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I'm glad you found this site
    I'm glad you found this site too! I didn't find it till after treatment. I didn't know enough to ask the right questions but came through ok anyway. I was diagnosed in 2003. I did not have IBC but others here have. Hang in there. Hugs.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Hugs~Hugs~Hugs~
    Although I am sorry you have a need to be here I am thrilled that you found us. You are right there are many here who know how you feel and we are willing to be here for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

RE
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Another IBC
    Unfortunately, when you're IBC 'things' have to happen rapidly, due to the aggressive nature of this beast!

For me, it was quick too - Aug 8, 09 DX'd, Chemo started Aug 26, 09. There was a plan at that time - chemo to shrink, surgery, different chemo and then rads. That's what it turned out to be, with follow up now for the future with Femara. I don't have to see my surgeon or chemo Dr. for 6 months, unfortunately I still have some bad rad burns after almost 3 weeks so I'm still seeing him for the time being but once they are healed it'll be 6 mths before I see him again.

Remember the Helen Reddy song from years ago - I am Woman!

Susan
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Welcome!
    So glad you found the site! I was fortunate in that i found this site right away. This is a great place for help and support thru each stage of the battle...
    God Bless...
    Julie
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Sorry that you are in this
    Sorry that you are in this boat, but am very glad that you found us! I hope your treatment continues to go smoothly and please visit often. This is a great group of people that are kind, caring and always here to lend an ear. Welcome! Eil
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Just a quick welcome to this
    Just a quick welcome to this amazing group. You'll find answers to your questions here. Just ask away. Good luck as you progress through your treatments and continue to post. Take care.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Glad you found the site
    I came to this site as soon as I got ultrasound and my biopsy report in Feb 2010. It has been so helpful and everyone so supportive. Glad you found us. All the best of luck on your journey to recovery.
    K
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    MyTurnNow said:

Just a quick welcome to this
    Just a quick welcome to this amazing group. You'll find answers to your questions here. Just ask away. Good luck as you progress through your treatments and continue to post. Take care.

I want to welcome you to
    I want to welcome you to this great site too! Good luck with your treatment.
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    Hello, and welcome,
    I am so

Hello, and welcome,
    I am so sorry that you began this journey alone, and so glad you found this wonderful group of women. The very first day I posted here, I felt alone and scared. These beautiful women welcomed me into their care, and I immediatly felt a huge weight lifted. I am praying that your treatments go well, with as little discomfort as possible. You mentioned your fear of a mastectomy, and my fear was of needing chemo. You are handeling the chemo, and I chose a bi-lateral mastectomy. Funny how we all have different levels of acceptance. Just so you know, the mastectomy has not been so bad. So, if you come to a point where you need to make that choice, come back here and we're all here to support you, and remember, anything you are questioning, or concerned about, someone here will have an answer, or suggestion.
    We are all soul sisters, strong for one another.
    Karen
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Better Late Than Never
    Welcome Heidi. This is an amazing place. Laughter, tears, hope, and comfort all all here for you. How did your first six chemo's go for you? Let us know what you decide for further treatment. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Sharon
  • Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    this is a great site!
    This is a great site to find! Good friends that are here for one reason . . . to help each other!! Glad your on board!!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Better Late Than Never
    Welcome Heidi. This is an amazing place. Laughter, tears, hope, and comfort all all here for you. How did your first six chemo's go for you? Let us know what you decide for further treatment. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Sharon

Welcome Heidi! You will
    Welcome Heidi! You will find a wonderful group of supportive and informative bc survivors here that will help you along your journey. Sending you hugs and strength!
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Sharon40 said:

this is a great site!
    This is a great site to find! Good friends that are here for one reason . . . to help each other!! Glad your on board!!

hi heidi!
    I too was totally freaked out by having to have a masectomy. It was an agonizing decision and a surgery that I completely dreaded.

If you choose to have one, I want you to know that it wasn't as bad I feared. For me, the dread was much worse than the reality.

You'll find that you have more strength than you ever thought you had. I found much strength and encouragement from those on this board.

Come here often.

Much love and grace to you,
    dh
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sharon40 said:

this is a great site!

This is a great site as the
    This is a great site as the others said. Welcome! Ask anything and you will always get an answer! Good luck to you!

Sue :)
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    glad you found the site
    Hi and welcome,

I'm so glad you found the site. It has been a huge help to me. It has been so wonderful to have support from people who KNOW what you are dealing with and how hard it is to cope sometimes. Here there is an amazing group of women and a few men who will always be there for you!

Hugs, El