4 1/2 weeks after double mastectomy......before chemo

Options
reddebbb
reddebbb Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i've just been reading your notes and am thrilled to see all that you have been discussing. i'm about to either get my ovaries and then start chemo or start chemo first. i just had a double mastectomy and have the brca 2 gene.......which was a real shock!

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Howdy! My double mastectomy was 10 weeks ago and I started chemo last week. My mother, who also had breast cancer, is getting the BRCA test in April. If she has a BRCA gene, then I'll test for it, then probably have ovaries and uterus removed after chemo.

Why were you shocked about having the gene? Does breast cancer NOT run in your family? There's enough cancer in my family that I'll be shocked if we DON'T have the gene, although there are other inherited genes that the tests can't identify yet.

I hope you're doing well after your surgery!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Hi
    Howdy! My double mastectomy was 10 weeks ago and I started chemo last week. My mother, who also had breast cancer, is getting the BRCA test in April. If she has a BRCA gene, then I'll test for it, then probably have ovaries and uterus removed after chemo.

Why were you shocked about having the gene? Does breast cancer NOT run in your family? There's enough cancer in my family that I'll be shocked if we DON'T have the gene, although there are other inherited genes that the tests can't identify yet.

I hope you're doing well after your surgery!

Wishing you a speed recovery
    Wishing you a speed recovery from your surgery! Glad you found this site, but, sorry for the reason. Good luck to you!

Hugs, Debby