Relay for Life

Options
lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It is so overwhelmingly touching that SOOOO many people are out there helping us and hoping for us. Last night was my first experience and I wore my Survivor t-shirt, walked the Survior lap, ate at the Survivor tent, and actually publicly announced "my name, breast cancer, 22 months" on the PA at the stage with all of the Survivors. I feel like for me, it was a GIANT step in emotional growth. And for all of us out there, people do care and put a lot of work into these events. Today is a good day!

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Glad
    I am glad that you had a wonderful experience.

Margo
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    I Bet
    I bet that was truly emotional. I plan to do the Susan G Koman walk this August. Let me ask you something, at what point do you concider yourself a survivor? Is it when you are finished with all treatment? When you have your scan? When?

Let me know when you can.

P
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    aztec45 said:

I Bet
    I bet that was truly emotional. I plan to do the Susan G Koman walk this August. Let me ask you something, at what point do you concider yourself a survivor? Is it when you are finished with all treatment? When you have your scan? When?

P

I wondered that also.
    I wondered that also. According to the ACS, it is when you are diagnosed with cancer.
    It was just a few months ago that I learned that. They said if it was 6 months ago, you would say "I am a 6 month survivor." Last night, people were a survivor for 3 months, and up to 20 years.
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

I wondered that also.
    I wondered that also. According to the ACS, it is when you are diagnosed with cancer.
    It was just a few months ago that I learned that. They said if it was 6 months ago, you would say "I am a 6 month survivor." Last night, people were a survivor for 3 months, and up to 20 years.

I prefer conqueror
    I prefer to refer to myself as a "breast cancer conqueror".

Survivor indicates that you have been attacked and survived it.

Conqueror indicates that you have been attacked and whipped it's behind!

I am a conqueror!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    aztec45 said:

I Bet

P

There really isn't anything
    There really isn't anything defintive as to when...I considered myself a survivor when I woke up from surgery~ I had a cancerous tumour when I went under, and didn't when I woke up!
    On the other hand, I can see that if you don't keel over dead when the Dr says those three UGLY little words, namely "You Have Cancer", that would make you a survivor as well! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    WOOT WOOT!!!!! Congrats to
    WOOT WOOT!!!!! Congrats to you! I did my first Relay 6 weeks post surgery, and can't even tell you how many I have done since; sometimes 2 a year, and this is my 7th survivor year! I absolutley LOVE the luminarias; so so moving and beautiful, aren't they?

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    love it
    Relay is a great event... We had a team in it last year and again this year.. out event is in June...
  • lafera12
    lafera12 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    e_hope said:

love it
    Relay is a great event... We had a team in it last year and again this year.. out event is in June...

I did my first "Relay for Life" last year..
    I considered myself a survivor after my surgery, but the woman from
    AMC told me it was when I was diagnosed. I still didn't feel like one
    until my oncologist was telling me about the relay and said I was a
    survivor..Now I really feel like one.
    Doing the Relay in June of this year again...

Angie
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Options
    lafera12 said:

I did my first "Relay for Life" last year..
    I considered myself a survivor after my surgery, but the woman from
    AMC told me it was when I was diagnosed. I still didn't feel like one
    until my oncologist was telling me about the relay and said I was a
    survivor..Now I really feel like one.
    Doing the Relay in June of this year again...

Angie

I am on a team also...I love it. Having so much fun...Im on a team called "Breast Friends"..its a bunch of my girlfriends. They are wonderful..
    As far as being a survivor...I began being a survivor the day I found out I had BC...thats how I look at it...we are all survivors from the day we are diagnosed.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    aztec45 said:

I Bet

P

Planning to attend the susan G Koman walk again this year
    I have walked the Susan G Koman walk for several years in memory of my Mom who was a 33+yr survivor of Breast Cancer. This year, I will walk as a Survivor ,all in pink. I am recruiting friends and family to walk with me.I considered myself a survivor; I was diagnosed with BC the first week of March 2010 and had a lumpectomy with excision of sentinel node(s). Tomorrow I meet with my surgeon to get the pathology report and referral for the oncologist. My journey has just begun...
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Lizzie, congrats, that is
    Lizzie, congrats, that is quite an accomplishment. I did my first walk last year shortly after finishing chemo. It was very emotional and something I will do annually. There can't be enough money raised to hopefully find the cure for this dreaded disease.