CT some better but CA up-new treatment to follow

Options
misspokey
misspokey Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I made it through my 6 cycles of carbo/gemzar, with the extra premeds for reactions. CA came down to 65, not great but dr said would do CT as doesn't go with just CA. Then would see, if disease till there, then maybe do more, or maybe stop for a spell to build my blood counts up. If down, then could get for awhile. Gave me 3 weeks off instead of usual 1. Hemo still down but slowly going up, now 9.2. Had my CT almost two weeks ago. Been having a pain in lower right abdomon but with this stuff in you they say you can. Some moved around but some stayed in that spot. (Had a time with strange pain in front of right shoulder, thinking after effects from neulasta, finally it's ok). Went to dr on Wed, gave results on CT. Most all lesions where down, a couple gone, one looked like grew some, but most concerened with the new ones showing up in (or maybe on but think paper said 'within') liver. So said would watch that, come back in month, if CA goes up then would start with new drug, already has it picked out-Alimpta. Yes, he did say was mainly for lung cancer but showing some promise for ovarian. Also said had 4 or 5 more to go on, not leaving me, will keep eye on me. Said to go out, enjoy spring/summer, do things and I said good, could get out and start helping sister with yard again. Felt pretty good, other than this pesky pain. He said could start taking Essiac tea so sister brewed it up for next day. Also started on pureed asparagus, read somewhere that that was good, like 4 T a day. Well I got it down, first 1/2 ok, second not so good. Also ate 1/3 of my pummolo grapefruit he said I could have now, a big mandarin, small one, then a bean dish for dinner. Had a big pain in right side and middle upper abdomon. Started more percocet 5's. Called dr's nurse next day to report, she called back and said maybe was too much fibre, if worse go to urgent care in night, call her next day. Next day was some better, still there but not as bad so didn't call. Then that eve she called me with my CA125. Great, it's went from 65 to 301. And with the pain I told her, thinking it's my liver and with the spots in/on liver, then he'd like to start the Alimpta sooner. So much for my time off. So she'd put in the orders, he'd finish them and in a couple weeks start with that. He said didn't think sides would be too much, but would need B12 shots and folic acid suppliments. Said I could look online to check it out, knows I do that. I did and found the other usual sides-could be-of vomiting, nausea, tiredness, low blood counts, diahrea, constipation, etc. I thought he said not hard on my counts. Maybe that's what they are seeing and they have to put that as some have had low counts. Other things he says has been different that writeup and he has been right. Now don't know what to do on essiac as doing more online found a couple sites that said could damage liver and not for people with a liver damage. But then all others says is good to get toxins out of liver and elsewhere. So a little leary of continuing, don't want to harm my liver more but if it works want to give it a chance. So many sites say it's great, while the 'text book' sites say no solid reports of it working, as it's not FDA approved. Nurse asked if wanted an appt to talk to dr before treatment or day of and said day of was fine. Now may call her to ask on essiac but not sure that he knows as not in his 'book', but might have ideas if would harm my liver if that's what it says. Anyway, sorry to go on and on but been awhile since I've written and wanted to update. GEtting a bit tired of writing my friends saying it's all good, then turning around and saying not. Some I know want to hear but then don't want to get them down all the time either or should wait until they ask me. I'm sure you've all been there. Great to be able to 'chat' with ones who have actually been there, even though some of the circumstances aren't the same. We just all need to keep hanging in there as best we can and enjoy the spring and summer with all the new life in trees and flowers coming on (except for allergy parts). Bye for now, Wanda

Comments

• saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Dear Wanda
    You are certainly on a roller coaster these days. Will send up an extra prayer that this new chemo works for you. We never know until giving it a try. Keep up the good thoughts. Saundra
  • MichaelaMarie
    MichaelaMarie Member Posts: 163
    Options
    saundra said:

Dear Wanda
    You are certainly on a roller coaster these days. Will send up an extra prayer that this new chemo works for you. We never know until giving it a try. Keep up the good thoughts. Saundra

Alimta
    Hi Wanda,

I've wondered how you are doing, so am glad that you posted. Cisplatin and Gemzar stopped working for me, so now have had two treatments of Alimta. I got pretty sick, even throwing up the week after the first treatment, so wasn't looking forward to the second. However, the doctor gave me a stronger anti-nausea drug in my pre-meds and that did the trick. I am feeling a lot of fatigue, but part of that could be from depression. My marker number keeps going up, so I am very fearful that the Alimta isn't working. Here's hoping that the Alimta works for you!!!! And, you're right, it's time to start enjoying being able to get outside and play or work in the sun! Take good care, MM
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    Options
    Hi Wanda,
    I know exactly

Hi Wanda,

I know exactly what you mean, tomorrow I am preparing to begin a once-a-week maintenance regimen with "Taxol" for the next 3 weeks and then we will see.

I too have finally stopped updating my friends as to what my latest progress is because it changes so much. It's sad for me to see their hopes uplifted one day and then next to see them not knowing how to react or what to say, because my latest may happen to be a let-down ...so, As much as I get relief from talking about my situation with them, I selectively speak about it now.

But I'm glad to know us ladies on this board all know where the others are coming from, so I'm happy to be able to vent on this wonderful board.

Take are Wanda and know you are in my prayers.

Sharon
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    hang in there
    Wanda,
    Glad to hear from you...sorry the news is uncertain. My thoughts are with you and all the ladies here. Yes, I understand some of what you are going through. My current treatment is uncertain as well. Updating friends/family...well...I understand. I've been there too.
    Best wishes to all!!!!