No tamoxifen for me

Options
laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My oncologist says I won't have to take tamoxifen since my tumors were only 5% positive. I didn't know there was a percentage. I just thought they were positive or negative. Did anyone else have a low percentage and didn't have to take it?

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this either
    I didn't know this either Laurissa. I was postive and am suppose to take tamox. I have never heard of this before. So, if you don't take tamox, what will you take? Herceptin?
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    Options

I didn't know this either
    I didn't know this either Laurissa. I was postive and am suppose to take tamox. I have never heard of this before. So, if you don't take tamox, what will you take? Herceptin?

Estrogen receptor rating
    Hi Laurissa, I am just the opposite, my tumor was 85% estrogen positive, and being post-menopausal my Onc. recommended I take an ALS, Femara.
    Hope you will hear from someone that has a low %, and see what her Onc. recommended.
    sgamtd
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi Laurissa. I didn't
    Hi Laurissa. I didn't realize this either. This is why I love this site. I have learned so much. So many decisions for us to make. Bless us all. Marilyn
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    Options
    high percentage and not taking tamoxifen.

Tamoxifen is an estrogen blocker, so if your bc is not responsive to estrogen there is no reason to block it. I guess 5% is close enough to zero to be considered not responsive. I was super positive (95% and 99%). My oncologist said because I had noninvasive DCIS and bilat. mastectomy that I didn't need to take Tamoxifen. I'm not sure I understand that. My sister had the same and was put on tamoxifen (but it was her 2nd mastectomy for DCIS). Very confusing stuff! Wishing you answers and peace.

El
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    My onc didn't tell me my
    My onc didn't tell me my percent but just said it was helping slightly. So I took it till I had problems and switched to something else and finally just stopped altogether. It was hard to get info out of my docs unless I knew what to ask and I didn't know anything. Oh well.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    ER 5% and Estrogen Blockers
    Laurissa,

Derbygirl, who used to post here, was taking Arimidex with an ER-positive percentage of 5%. Her oncologist believes that hormonal treatment is beneficial with any percentage testing ER-positive. At least, this was the opinion the last time Derbygirl posted. You might inquire further with your onc.

Hope this is of some help.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

ER 5% and Estrogen Blockers
    Laurissa,

Derbygirl, who used to post here, was taking Arimidex with an ER-positive percentage of 5%. Her oncologist believes that hormonal treatment is beneficial with any percentage testing ER-positive. At least, this was the opinion the last time Derbygirl posted. You might inquire further with your onc.

Hope this is of some help.

I don't know any percentage,
    I don't know any percentage, but, I would think that you would be on something. If I were you Laurissa, I would pursue this further with your oncologist. Good luck!
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    DebbyM said:

I don't know any percentage,
    I don't know any percentage, but, I would think that you would be on something. If I were you Laurissa, I would pursue this further with your oncologist. Good luck!

When we started talking
    When we started talking percentages, I didn't know what mine was so I looked at my pathology report again. It was listed there--mine is 90% ER/PR+--that means I'm staying on the tamoxefin.