DONE WITH RADS

Options
GrandmaJ
GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday was my last radiation treatment....28 + 5 boosters. Luckily, I did not burn bad, just a mild sunburn type area above my breast. So, why don't I feel excited and happy ? Guess after 9 months of treatments of some sort, chemo, surgery, radiation, I just feel like I'm not doing anything to keep it from coming back. Well, I do have to start Femara for five years, but scared I'll have lots of reactions to that medication. Maybe I'll feel better after I talk with oncologist next week.

Judy

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Judy. I
    Congratulations, Judy. I found the "end" to be a bittersweet experience. I actually had tears in my eyes on the table for my last booster. I think, whether right or wrong, we suddenly feel like we're not doing anything anymore to fight the beast. I have tried to continue to eat healthier and exercise almost every day and that seems to help tell myself that I am continuing to be proactive against this beast. I have been on Arimidex for about 2 months now and, knock on wood, haven't experienced any side effects. Good luck as you continue on your 5-year plan. Please continue to post and let us know you're doing fine. Good luck!!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    At first when you finish
    At first when you finish treatment you feel like you aren't doing enough but as time passes you adjust. Congrats on finishing.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

Congratulations, Judy. I
    Congratulations, Judy. I found the "end" to be a bittersweet experience. I actually had tears in my eyes on the table for my last booster. I think, whether right or wrong, we suddenly feel like we're not doing anything anymore to fight the beast. I have tried to continue to eat healthier and exercise almost every day and that seems to help tell myself that I am continuing to be proactive against this beast. I have been on Arimidex for about 2 months now and, knock on wood, haven't experienced any side effects. Good luck as you continue on your 5-year plan. Please continue to post and let us know you're doing fine. Good luck!!

Congrats Judy!

Congrats Judy!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    YEAH!!!!
    Judy that is such great news and I am so thrilled for you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hugs,

RE
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    Done With Rads
    I finished rads on 01.15.10 after the same number of treatments. That was done after chemo which had started last May. I began the femara right away and except for a little joint pain (which is going away) I'm feeling good. Still get tired, but it's only been 2 1/2 months since I finished. I know what you mean about not feeling as excited as you expected and like you're no longer fighting it. You are still fighting and will be every day of the rest of your long, happy, healthy life. You've done what you needed to do and the rest is in God's hands.
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    treatments
    Good for you.I know the feeling,I finished mine a few weeks ago.i guess I thought I would be happier then I was two.But in time you will feel better and be happier.The whole thing is over welming.give your self time,when you start getting your energy back.You will feel better about everything.Hang in their,your not alone.
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Congrats on finishing your
    Congrats on finishing your rads! Give yourself some time to adjust... God bless...
    Julie
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Congrats
    Congrats. I am happy for you. Celebrate the completion of this phase of your treatment.

P
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    RE said:

YEAH!!!!
    Judy that is such great news and I am so thrilled for you! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Hugs,

RE

Great news! Congrats! Keep
    Great news! Congrats! Keep using your creams for a few weeks though!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Hooray for Judy!
    Another milestone! I agree with our sisters, we've done so much for so long that it's odd when we stop. It's like cold turkey! It passes. Congratulations, again.

Sue
  • GrandmaJ
    GrandmaJ Member Posts: 209
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Hooray for Judy!
    Another milestone! I agree with our sisters, we've done so much for so long that it's odd when we stop. It's like cold turkey! It passes. Congratulations, again.

Sue

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling pretty tired from the rads, but I must admit I don't miss lying on that table every day half naked !!! Have decided to retire on July 2 from a job that was once great, but is now too stress related for me to handle. New manager, new director, etc, etc. Will work at part time job doing medical transcription, which I've always enjoyed. And, I'm getting a new grandbaby in October. Things are looking up.

Judy
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    ppurdin said:

treatments
    Good for you.I know the feeling,I finished mine a few weeks ago.i guess I thought I would be happier then I was two.But in time you will feel better and be happier.The whole thing is over welming.give your self time,when you start getting your energy back.You will feel better about everything.Hang in their,your not alone.

Congratulations Judy!

Congratulations Judy!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Judy
    Congratulations on finishing. Stay positive. I'm glad you did well with rads.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    GrandmaJ said:

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling pretty tired from the rads, but I must admit I don't miss lying on that table every day half naked !!! Have decided to retire on July 2 from a job that was once great, but is now too stress related for me to handle. New manager, new director, etc, etc. Will work at part time job doing medical transcription, which I've always enjoyed. And, I'm getting a new grandbaby in October. Things are looking up.

Judy

Awesome
    You know, I think it is great that you can retire to enjoy life and your new grandbaby. Putting up with the personalities, the stress, the hectic schedules, etc. are not things I like to mess with after cancer either. Life is too short.

Enjoy yourself and get plenty of rest.

P
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Congratulations--You've been
    Congratulations--You've been thru a great deal. Time to stop and smell the coffee. Enjoy your life!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Awesome
    You know, I think it is great that you can retire to enjoy life and your new grandbaby. Putting up with the personalities, the stress, the hectic schedules, etc. are not things I like to mess with after cancer either. Life is too short.

Enjoy yourself and get plenty of rest.

P

Congrats!!

Congrats!!
  • pattycal
    pattycal Member Posts: 2
    Options
    natly15 said:

Congratulations--You've been
    Congratulations--You've been thru a great deal. Time to stop and smell the coffee. Enjoy your life!

Done with Rads
    Thank you all for your comments. I just joined CSN. Just finished my rads, too, with tears of joy and fear streaming down my face.....thought that strange. I too felt that I was getting help to Zap any leftover bad-guys while in treatment, but then what? Am now on Femara--first week, no side effects. Glad I'm not in this alone!