"Make Strides" against breast cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Hi Judy. I have not been on
    Hi Judy. I have not been on the computer much and just saw your note. My younest daughter registered us so I hope I have the details correct. The race/walk is May 22nd and starts at Comerica Park. Kristen said last year there were 60,000 people either doing the race or the 2k or 5k walk. I can get more info from her. It is different than the 3 day walk. I believe the 3 day walk is only held in certain cities and there is more fundraising involved. Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn,
    I had tried to find info online but couldn't find anything. Any info you can get will be appreciated.

Judy :-)
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    susie09 said:

Thank you Gracie for doing
    Thank you Gracie for doing this for all of us. You are a kind, generous soul!

Good luck to you!

Didn't Count on This!
    Hello, all my beautiful sisters in pink! I'd been doing great, adding a little more distance as I felt able, and was up to three and a third miles. This past Saturday was the warmest day yet, and I made an early start of it. I also slathered on a new sunscreen with SPF 85. Aveeno. I've used other Aveeno products for years...body wash, lotions etc, so this should be okay too, right? Did my walk, really stepping out there, feeling energized.

Oh, oh! How could my face, neck, ears and arms be SUNBURNED with SPF85? !!! My left ear in particular was very bad. It's like it had been scalded, even though it was shaded by my hat. My theory is that I have become photosensitive with the meds (Femara & Zometa), even thought that is not listed in the side effects, and that the ingredients in the sunscreen caused a chemical burn on my sensitive skin. Warning on the label says to discontinue use if a rash appears.

Has anyone else experienced this with meds? What did you do about it? I'm determined to do this walk on April 25, but I need to protect my skin too. I'll be wearing a big hat, long-sleeved cotton shirt, long pants, etc. But I know from experience that the sun does penetrate fabric. I welcome whatever advice you all might have for me.

Thanks and hugs. Gracie
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Grace--I am so glad you
    Grace--I am so glad you brought this up. I am going to med onc this afternoon and will put this question on my list to ask about Femara. I have been using standard sunscreen and have not had a problem with the sun. However, I am and will not be near the 3 mile walk. Take care of yourself and keep pressing on. Marilyn

Judy--my daughter says go to Karmanos.org for info on the race/walk for the cure. I wish I knew how to do the pm thing. My computer knowledge is very limited. I do know how to do e-mail. Hope this helps. Marilyn
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options

Didn't Count on This!
    Hello, all my beautiful sisters in pink! I'd been doing great, adding a little more distance as I felt able, and was up to three and a third miles. This past Saturday was the warmest day yet, and I made an early start of it. I also slathered on a new sunscreen with SPF 85. Aveeno. I've used other Aveeno products for years...body wash, lotions etc, so this should be okay too, right? Did my walk, really stepping out there, feeling energized.

Oh, oh! How could my face, neck, ears and arms be SUNBURNED with SPF85? !!! My left ear in particular was very bad. It's like it had been scalded, even though it was shaded by my hat. My theory is that I have become photosensitive with the meds (Femara & Zometa), even thought that is not listed in the side effects, and that the ingredients in the sunscreen caused a chemical burn on my sensitive skin. Warning on the label says to discontinue use if a rash appears.

Has anyone else experienced this with meds? What did you do about it? I'm determined to do this walk on April 25, but I need to protect my skin too. I'll be wearing a big hat, long-sleeved cotton shirt, long pants, etc. But I know from experience that the sun does penetrate fabric. I welcome whatever advice you all might have for me.

Thanks and hugs. Gracie

Sunblock Clothing
    Google: Sunblock Clothing and a sleuth of sites will pop up. These sites sell clothing and hats that block out the sunrays.

I'm cheering you on for the walk. You go, Girl! Proud of you. Keep on walking!!!

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Grace--I am so glad you
    Grace--I am so glad you brought this up. I am going to med onc this afternoon and will put this question on my list to ask about Femara. I have been using standard sunscreen and have not had a problem with the sun. However, I am and will not be near the 3 mile walk. Take care of yourself and keep pressing on. Marilyn

Judy--my daughter says go to Karmanos.org for info on the race/walk for the cure. I wish I knew how to do the pm thing. My computer knowledge is very limited. I do know how to do e-mail. Hope this helps. Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn,
    I will check out Karmonos website. :-) Maybe I'll see you there!
  • m_azingrace
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Thanks Marilyn,

Persevering...
    Hello all my sweet sisters in pink. My skin has healed from the chemical burn inflicted by the sunscreen, and I'm walking again. Thursday I went 3.5 miles...my best so far. I live in a valley where we have daylight for about 2 hours before we actually see the sun coming over the mountain. My new routine is to be up and out the door, and be finished with most of my walking while the morning shadows are still long. This is working out very well for me so far. Also, even though the walking track is very close to my home, I load up my car with every comfort item I might need...water, snack, tissues, first aid kit, etc... and drive there, so if I want to rest awhile, I have all that stuff with me. This walking track has "facilities", so I can even take a potty break if needed. I found what I think may be a very good sun hat for me. It's called "The Sunday Afternoon's Adventure Hat". If you Google it, you can see what they look like. I'm expecting it to arrive early next week. My neighbor has one. He let me try it on. I'm impressed with how lightweight, durable and comfortable it is, as well as the protection it provides from the sun. The new shoes are working out great too!
  • sgamtd
    sgamtd Member Posts: 124
    Options

Persevering...
    Hello all my sweet sisters in pink. My skin has healed from the chemical burn inflicted by the sunscreen, and I'm walking again. Thursday I went 3.5 miles...my best so far. I live in a valley where we have daylight for about 2 hours before we actually see the sun coming over the mountain. My new routine is to be up and out the door, and be finished with most of my walking while the morning shadows are still long. This is working out very well for me so far. Also, even though the walking track is very close to my home, I load up my car with every comfort item I might need...water, snack, tissues, first aid kit, etc... and drive there, so if I want to rest awhile, I have all that stuff with me. This walking track has "facilities", so I can even take a potty break if needed. I found what I think may be a very good sun hat for me. It's called "The Sunday Afternoon's Adventure Hat". If you Google it, you can see what they look like. I'm expecting it to arrive early next week. My neighbor has one. He let me try it on. I'm impressed with how lightweight, durable and comfortable it is, as well as the protection it provides from the sun. The new shoes are working out great too!

Gracie
    Gracie, wow, 3 1/2 miles, you are almost there girl, just another 1 1/2 to add, and you still have 2 weeks, glad the burn went away, I never ever put on sunscreen, probably should as I live in TX, but I seem to have a tan all year long, and the sun does not seem to burn me.
    When I lived up north, I would sunburn in the spring because of being covered up all winter long.
    Continued best of luck to all of you on the 25th. Will be wearing my shirt and pin for you.
    sgamtd
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Skeezie said:

Thanks Marilyn,

Skeezie--I would love to see
    Skeezie--I would love to see you there. My daughter took me to see a musical at the Gem which is near Comerica Park. She showed me where we would start the walk. I have been able to get outside and walk more since the weather has turned warmer again. Take care.

Gracie--glad you are doing better with sunburn. My oncologist told me he didn't know of any connection to Femara. I did ask him about the SSRI's making Femara less effective. He said that was true. I am not sure I can give up my Zoloft. It makes me curious though. I was on Zoloft the entire time I was on the Tamoxifen after my first dx in 2001 and had recurrance in 2009. Guess it doesn't help to wonder if that reduced the effectiveness of the Tamox. Take care and I will be wearing pink and thinking of you on the 25th. Marilyn
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

Persevering...

Wow Gracie! That is great!
    Wow Gracie! That is great! So happy that you have healed up from your burn.

You go girl!
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Skeezie--I would love to see
    Skeezie--I would love to see you there. My daughter took me to see a musical at the Gem which is near Comerica Park. She showed me where we would start the walk. I have been able to get outside and walk more since the weather has turned warmer again. Take care.

Gracie--glad you are doing better with sunburn. My oncologist told me he didn't know of any connection to Femara. I did ask him about the SSRI's making Femara less effective. He said that was true. I am not sure I can give up my Zoloft. It makes me curious though. I was on Zoloft the entire time I was on the Tamoxifen after my first dx in 2001 and had recurrance in 2009. Guess it doesn't help to wonder if that reduced the effectiveness of the Tamox. Take care and I will be wearing pink and thinking of you on the 25th. Marilyn

Gracie
    I missed the whole discussion but can still to cheer for you. You have made amassing progress for such a short period of time. Very impressive commitment and dedication. I will be thinking of you on 25th.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • m_azingrace
    Options

Gracie
    I missed the whole discussion but can still to cheer for you. You have made amassing progress for such a short period of time. Very impressive commitment and dedication. I will be thinking of you on 25th.
    Good luck,
    New Flower

I DID IT!! REJOICE WITH ME!!
    Hello all my beautiful sisters! I hope you remembered to wear pink today. I did the 5 mile walk and it was great. I haven't been on much lately...computer is in the shop. Just wanted to update you all. There was me, my daughter, her mother in law, my friend Eileen and thousands of others. It was wonderful. Perfect weather and no wind.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful encouragement. I'm looking forward to next year now.

Hugs to you all, Gracie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

I DID IT!! REJOICE WITH ME!!
    Hello all my beautiful sisters! I hope you remembered to wear pink today. I did the 5 mile walk and it was great. I haven't been on much lately...computer is in the shop. Just wanted to update you all. There was me, my daughter, her mother in law, my friend Eileen and thousands of others. It was wonderful. Perfect weather and no wind.

Thanks to you all for your wonderful encouragement. I'm looking forward to next year now.

Hugs to you all, Gracie

I am rejoicing with you
    I am rejoicing with you Gracie! Congrats on making that 5 mile walk for all of us!