Filling expanders after radiation

Options
pinkkari09
pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just read that someone was told they cant fill expanders after radiation. Mine aren't fully expanded and I'm in radiation, I still need a few fills. Has anyone else had theirs expanded after radiation?
~Kari

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    My sis did.
    Hi Kari,

My sister had her filled after all her rad sessions were over, she did not get to the point she had hoped for but she did have breasts when it was all said and done. Hope this helps.

RE
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    Options
    did mean to upset you
    Sorry if i got you worried. We all only speak of what we are told and share our experiences. After months on this site you come to realize that each doctor has their own ways of doing things.. nothing is really universal..

My goal was to be larger than I was prior to the mastectomy.. My plastic surgeon was aware of this.. I had my double mastectomy in Feb and he began filling my expanders 1 week after surgery.. and every week there after. I had my expanders filled above desired size before I even started chemo.

I was just told by my plastic that once I had radiation they could not be expanded much..

If you are concern with your final size I would just talk with your plastics..

Good luck..