anyones breast still tender

Options
Lighthouse_7
Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished Rad treatments on Dec. 22, 2009 and my breast is still sore and if I bump it, it hurts.
The skin around the nipple looks like it has deep pores also.
I would appreciate any help with this since I go for my follow up mammo April 1st and I was expecting my breast to feel better.
Thanks

Comments

• jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Yup!
    I had my lumpectomy in Nov and finished rads a month later than you to the day. I think my breast tenderness is more from the lumpectomy and the seroma i have than from the radiation. My skin got worse the 2 weeks after rads and it got better after that. My tenderness changes, so it's not terribly sore all the time, but I know I would be concerned about a mammo at this stage. Others have posted that they were worried, but it didn't end up being as bad as anticipated. Perhaps some motrin an hour before your exam will help.

Have you followed w/your rad onc? I saw mine a month after and they encouraged me to contact them if the skin didn't seem to be healing.

Good luck w/your mammo...my follow up is also in april, but will have breast MRI instead. Blessings...
    Julie
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Yeah...
    I was scared of what the first mammogram would feel like too. I think I was more scared of how it would feel than what it might show! That breast is still sore a year after rad over. When I went to first mammo my MD told me to get someone to take me, take Ativan, and relax through it. It really didn't seem to hurt that much. Much better a few pinches than the possible alternative!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options

Yeah...
    I was scared of what the first mammogram would feel like too. I think I was more scared of how it would feel than what it might show! That breast is still sore a year after rad over. When I went to first mammo my MD told me to get someone to take me, take Ativan, and relax through it. It really didn't seem to hurt that much. Much better a few pinches than the possible alternative!

breast tenderness
    Thanks so much for the reply's. Sorry, I haven't been on till today to thank you. Your advise helps alot and good to know I'm not alone.
    Lighthouse
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    jbug said:

Yup!
    I had my lumpectomy in Nov and finished rads a month later than you to the day. I think my breast tenderness is more from the lumpectomy and the seroma i have than from the radiation. My skin got worse the 2 weeks after rads and it got better after that. My tenderness changes, so it's not terribly sore all the time, but I know I would be concerned about a mammo at this stage. Others have posted that they were worried, but it didn't end up being as bad as anticipated. Perhaps some motrin an hour before your exam will help.

Have you followed w/your rad onc? I saw mine a month after and they encouraged me to contact them if the skin didn't seem to be healing.

Good luck w/your mammo...my follow up is also in april, but will have breast MRI instead. Blessings...
    Julie

breast tenderness
    Thanks jbug,
    Thought it shouldn't be as tender at this point. I did have a follow up w/rad onc but didn't tell me much.
    Thanks again
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

breast tenderness
    Thanks so much for the reply's. Sorry, I haven't been on till today to thank you. Your advise helps alot and good to know I'm not alone.
    Lighthouse

Let us know how your mammo
    Let us know how your mammo goes. Praying for a clean report for you!
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Tender Breast.
    I had .a lumpecktomy in July of last year.treatments stopped in Jan.My breast is very tender,to where I can not lay on that side.
  • DianeRuth
    DianeRuth Member Posts: 2
    Options
    If it is not too late to
    If it is not too late to reply, I would like to tell you that I finished rad March 09 and still once in a while have tenderness. Just recently a little firmness as well. Near my lumpemctomy scar I have some fluid near the area, found on the last mammogram, they say that is commom. Hang in there as it all takes time to heal.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Yep
    Yes. My breast has been numb and hurts a bit for a year now. I am told that that feeling may not go away.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    jbug said:

Yup!

Julie

I still have some breast
    I still have some breast tenderness, but, it is from the rads. It isn't bad, but, noticeable. My rads oncologist said it can take up to a year to not have the tenderness. Good luck with your mammogram!

Sue :)
  • Lighthouse_7
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Let us know how your mammo
    Let us know how your mammo goes. Praying for a clean report for you!

Good Mammo
    Thanks to all of you who asked about my mammo results. The only scare that I had wasn't expected.
    The hospital called to take more pix of my right breast ( not the cancer one) that scared me to dealth, but more compression and an ultrasound said that it was just breast tissue.
    Thanks again and best of luck to all of you.