Getting my port out!

Sam726
Sam726 Member Posts: 233
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw my onc a few days ago...now that Im done with chemo, he is letting me get my port out! Im so excited..port out and rads done on the 31st. I might feel normal for once after that! The nurses in chemo area kind of threw a fit about it but if the doc says ok, Im going with him..I still have 8 more herceptins but I can do that thru my arm.

Comments

• Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Hi Sam,
    Congrats, I know how much so many of you here want your ports out asap...but I'm just saying... What were the objections of the chemo nurses (the ones who have to find your veins for the next 8 pokes) If you are like the most of us, you can only use one arm for blood draws etc. You are young and have a long time to use only those veins from one arm. I know we have some nurses on this board so let me know if I'm wrong, but can't we just poke too many times in veins to the point of having to go elsewhere after a while? I listen to my onc too, but sometimes, when it comes to "little" things like finding veins for IV's, I'll listen to the nurses who actually do the iv's. I have no veins to speak of and hope to keep my port for the rest of my life, if possible.

I don't mean to be a downer, but think about what the nurses objections were before making your final decision. You've been thru so much, what's 8 more weeks if the nurses' objections really make sense?

But I'm happy for you, each step is one more step to being back to our new "normal"!

"please don't poke me", Judy :-D
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Skeezie said:

Hi Sam,
    Congrats, I know how much so many of you here want your ports out asap...but I'm just saying... What were the objections of the chemo nurses (the ones who have to find your veins for the next 8 pokes) If you are like the most of us, you can only use one arm for blood draws etc. You are young and have a long time to use only those veins from one arm. I know we have some nurses on this board so let me know if I'm wrong, but can't we just poke too many times in veins to the point of having to go elsewhere after a while? I listen to my onc too, but sometimes, when it comes to "little" things like finding veins for IV's, I'll listen to the nurses who actually do the iv's. I have no veins to speak of and hope to keep my port for the rest of my life, if possible.

I don't mean to be a downer, but think about what the nurses objections were before making your final decision. You've been thru so much, what's 8 more weeks if the nurses' objections really make sense?

But I'm happy for you, each step is one more step to being back to our new "normal"!

Hey Sam
    Are you sure you

Hey Sam

Are you sure you want the port out??? I've seen the nurses digging to get the needle in people without a port and it looks painful. I'm also on herceptin every 3 weeks (I have 10 more to do) I can't imagine not using my port. Does your port hurt you? Mine doesn't and I can do just about everything I could before having it in. It is ugly looking but I don't look at it. I, like Judy, would be curious to know the nurses objections. If yours does hurt, I can see why you would want it out. If it's what you want, then good for you.
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Sher43009 said:

Hey Sam
    Are you sure you

Hey Sam

Are you sure you want the port out??? I've seen the nurses digging to get the needle in people without a port and it looks painful. I'm also on herceptin every 3 weeks (I have 10 more to do) I can't imagine not using my port. Does your port hurt you? Mine doesn't and I can do just about everything I could before having it in. It is ugly looking but I don't look at it. I, like Judy, would be curious to know the nurses objections. If yours does hurt, I can see why you would want it out. If it's what you want, then good for you.

Oh, No...
    I am a nurse working in a surgery center. I start many IV's. I feel SO, SO bad when I have to poke and dig to get a vein, and as soon as I get in, it will "blow". So I have to try again. I hot pack, dangle, and use a "baby" needles. But it is frustrating for all parties involved.

Chemo makes your veins very fragile, as well as the steroids that we have to take. There was a post not too long ago about someone who's treatment was delayed because they could not start an IV. I totally understand your desire to have this removed, but I would recommend you listen to your nurses and try to live with it for a few more weeks.

I work in a large teaching facility, and need to "educate and monitor" physicians about what would be in the patient's best interest. (They don't always see the Big picture). I feel, and think other nurses feel, we are patient advocates and the last line of defense. Ultimately this is your decision, I just encourage you to see all views. Your nurses are looking out for you as well as themselves.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. - Carrie

P.S. It is now very hard to be on the "other side of the needle", and having veins that suck.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    If you can do it IV, good
    If you can do it IV, good for you! I have the veins of the invisible man.

Hugs to you!

Sue
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    sbmly53 said:

If you can do it IV, good
    If you can do it IV, good for you! I have the veins of the invisible man.

Hugs to you!

Sue

I just had my port removed
    and I can tell you, you're right about the feeling! FREEDOM!!!! BUT. if I were you I'd wait until you're done with those 8 shots. The ease of using the port as opposed to the pricks on your arm is a huge positive issue! If I even needed that port for ONE more use I'd have kept it. Think about it before you bust a move.
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Coach
    No matter what you decide to do, I'm all for it. I know summer is coming and you are probably thinking about sporting the port. Bikini tops, tank tops,...I have decided,(no hair & all), the port is not going to stop me from wearing my sexy summer tops! I'll put a bandaid over it & go with it! Please consider what has been said here though. I have had so many pokes in my veins that I just want to scream-but, when it comes to the Chemo or the Herceptin, I'm glad I have it.(I still can't believe I'm saying that!) Anyway, I know you are anxious to get all of this over with and move onto a new normal, but you've come this far & if it's in your best interest to go a little further-You Can Do It!
    ♥ Cat
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Skeezie said:

Hi Sam,

Congrats Sam!
    Hugs, Leeza

Congrats Sam!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Sam726
    Sam726 Member Posts: 233
    Cat64 said:

Coach
    No matter what you decide to do, I'm all for it. I know summer is coming and you are probably thinking about sporting the port. Bikini tops, tank tops,...I have decided,(no hair & all), the port is not going to stop me from wearing my sexy summer tops! I'll put a bandaid over it & go with it! Please consider what has been said here though. I have had so many pokes in my veins that I just want to scream-but, when it comes to the Chemo or the Herceptin, I'm glad I have it.(I still can't believe I'm saying that!) Anyway, I know you are anxious to get all of this over with and move onto a new normal, but you've come this far & if it's in your best interest to go a little further-You Can Do It!
    ♥ Cat

Thanks
    Well...the doctor said I could have it out and my veins look good. They never have a problem when they draw blood, give me injections, etc so I feel confident I wont have any problems. I just want this thing out of my chest, its always tender and hard to sleep on. The nurse was just a rag about it...she was a rag the whole day, I didnt like her, LOL.
    I would think the doctor would say it wasnt a good idea if he though that...I trust him. Hes been nothing but honest and upfront with me from the get go...
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Sam726 said:

Thanks
    Well...the doctor said I could have it out and my veins look good. They never have a problem when they draw blood, give me injections, etc so I feel confident I wont have any problems. I just want this thing out of my chest, its always tender and hard to sleep on. The nurse was just a rag about it...she was a rag the whole day, I didnt like her, LOL.
    I would think the doctor would say it wasnt a good idea if he though that...I trust him. Hes been nothing but honest and upfront with me from the get go...

So many people on this board hate their ports and talk about the scar showing or hurting them and I'm wondering why. I only have a tiny, thin line where they inserted it, it doesn't show (you have to feel for it) and it doesn't hurt at all. But I saw a picture in a breast reconstruction site and this girl had this big round bump on her upper chest where my port is and I began to wonder if that is normal for a lot of people. I am overweight and maybe that's why it's so comfortable and doesn't show?

I'm glad in my case it's like it's not even there cause I have to have it, but would you guys let me know how yours is? Then I can understand why so many of you are so anxious to get it out. To me it's a lifesaver, but if it looked like that girl in the picture I would certainly be unhappy.

Love My Port,(hahaha)
    Judy :-)
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Skeezie said:

So many people on this board hate their ports and talk about the scar showing or hurting them and I'm wondering why. I only have a tiny, thin line where they inserted it, it doesn't show (you have to feel for it) and it doesn't hurt at all. But I saw a picture in a breast reconstruction site and this girl had this big round bump on her upper chest where my port is and I began to wonder if that is normal for a lot of people. I am overweight and maybe that's why it's so comfortable and doesn't show?

I'm glad in my case it's like it's not even there cause I have to have it, but would you guys let me know how yours is? Then I can understand why so many of you are so anxious to get it out. To me it's a lifesaver, but if it looked like that girl in the picture I would certainly be unhappy.

Love My Port,(hahaha)

I've wondered
    The scar for my port is only about 3/4" long and just a very thin line - I've got lots of bigger/nastier scars all over from 'tangles' with pavement, barbed wire and a host of other things. It is a raised area but smaller than my friend's pacemaker. How much it shows may have something to do with weight - I'm on the 'leaner side' (5'6"; 135 lbs approx). Basically it won't show with my tanktops (when it gets warm enough here and all the rad burns heal) but if it does OH HA WELL. There is no pain or even discomfort.

Mine will be in for at least a year and probably longer. IBC is a nasty one with not the best future oulook - my port is there now and there it will stay - just 'in case'.

I have great veins and I intend to do all I can to keep the ones (left arm) that are useable 'great'.

"Love my port" TOO!

Susan
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Sher43009 said:

Hey Sam
    Are you sure you

Hey Sam

Congrats Sam on getting your
    Congrats Sam on getting your port out!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Sher43009 said:

Hey Sam
    Are you sure you

Hey Sam

Sending you congrats Sam on
    Sending you congrats Sam on getting your port out! Happy for you!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Skeezie said:

Love My Port,(hahaha)

My chest looks worse without
    My chest looks worse without the port than it did with it! I did not get the thin line that I saw on a friend of mine...my port site collapsed when it was taken out, and to describe it, when I am lying down I think a golf ball would nestle into the dent. But much as I hated that, now I don't worry about it because there seems to be nothing I can about it. So, I wear the tanks, and whatebver I want~ yes, I get the odd glances, but I would probably be giving them too ! I have always wondered if it was because my oncol doc insisted I keep the port in for a YEAR post treatment, so it sat in my chest for almost 18 months!

As Meg Ryan's character said to Tom Hanks character in Joe vs The Volcano: "It's always going to be something with you, isn't it?" Yeah, I guess it is! LOL

Congrats on getting the port out!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Good for you Sam
    I want mine out too. I hate feeling the bump under my skin. My doctor's in no hurry he said. I sure hope it doesn't leave an indention.
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    laurissa said:

Good for you Sam
    I want mine out too. I hate feeling the bump under my skin. My doctor's in no hurry he said. I sure hope it doesn't leave an indention.

Mine's coming out too
    I just saw my surgeon today for follow up and we agreed to have the port out on May 7th! I will just feel "done" I guess. He's OK with leaving it in, too, but I'm not!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sam726 said:

Thanks

Congrats to you Sam if you
    Congrats to you Sam if you get your port out. I didn't have one, so, I don't fully understand about them. Nice pic of you too!

Sue :)
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    pattimc said:

Mine's coming out too
    I just saw my surgeon today for follow up and we agreed to have the port out on May 7th! I will just feel "done" I guess. He's OK with leaving it in, too, but I'm not!

port
    I love my port tooooo!!!! I finished chemo ... and then finished my herceptin March 12th. I asked if/when I should think about having my port taken out and the doctor said in few months. I told him I'd like to keep it in there FOREVER! The thought of a doctor/nurse EVER having to draw blood from my arm makes me cringe! But ... I guess "forever" is not an option because the "equipment" gets out-of-date. I see my surgeon next month and am going to ask him what he thinks. I haven't gone in for my first "port-flushing" yet ... but as long as there's EMLA cream ... I don't mind going in every 6 weeks for a flushing. I'll do anything to keep from having to get poked and jabbed in the arm!

hugs.
    teena