chemo postponed - possible reaction to disolving sutures

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I had my chemo canceled today, postponed until next week Friday. The reason being is because the scars from the port insertion had become kind of infected, or rather were oozing pus (i am sorry it is gross). I would drain the sites a couple of times a day until either clear fluid or blood came out. I had no fever, no red streaks and nothing else. However after a week of it I called the Oncologist who told me to come in. He didn't know what was going on so called in the port surgeon who took a look at it and said it was likely I was having a reaction to the disolving sutures which would be disolving or almost disolved about now. He also said it should clear up by next week if that is the case otherwise I might have an infected port, in which case they will need to remove it, let the site heal and then reinsert the port.

Blood work was done through the port and my arm to determine if there is any infection. Am waiting on those results which take a couple of days as they create a culture.

Anyway I have an extra week of feeling pretty good and building up my health before the next onslaught of chemo.

Has anyone had something like this happen ...either a reaction to disolving sutures or an infected port? Am interested to know how it got resolved.

thanks
Mariam.

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    I didn't have this Mariam,
    I didn't have this Mariam, but, want to wish you good luck, and hopefully, you will be healed up and feeling better soon.

Leeza
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    jnl said:

I didn't have this Mariam,
    I didn't have this Mariam, but, want to wish you good luck, and hopefully, you will be healed up and feeling better soon.

Leeza

Hi Mariam
    Sorry for your port situation. My friend had similar problem. Unfortunately in her case it was infection and the port was removed and she had to stay in the hospital. Wishing you luck and easy healing with your port. Hopefully it is just reaction and you will continue using this port. Sending positive thoughts your way,
    New Flower