reconstruction of the left breast

jphilpo
jphilpo Member Posts: 177
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Jean. I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer in the left breast and had a mastectomy in July of 2009. I have completed chemo & radiation. My surgeon says I am probably not a candidate for implants due to chest wall radiation. Tram flap will probably be my choice. However, I get conflicting opinions about the need to remove my right breast. I feel I would probably rest easier if it was gone, but doctors and my cancer support volunteer say it's not absolutely necessary. I am confused and could use some input .

Has anyone had this surgery with either the other other breast removed or not?

Comments

• GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    I did~
    I only had my left breast removed, and after radiation treatments (no chemo for me) I had a latissimus flap done with a saline implant. I did fine, and my results are beautiful~ I am happy and well balanced. I had the right breast reduced. Talk more with your doctor, and maybe get a second opinion from a cosmetic surgeon. My breast cancer doctor referred me to a cosmetic surgeon.
    Let me know if you have more questions~
    Melanie
  • svillalobos01
    svillalobos01 Member Posts: 15
    Bilateral Mastectomy
    Hi Jean, my name is Sol and I had bilateral mastectomy in June '09. My tumor was in my right breast and my surgeon said it was totally up to me if I wanted the other breast removed, prophylactic mastectomy (I believe that is what it is called). I am 38 yrs old and I did not want to worry about my other side, besides, i thought it was going to be easier for my PS to make 2 new breast than trying to match one. I am very happy with the results, you know that it would never be the same, but I really like it, i had silicon gel implants and they look really good. Now, I believe you should do what you think is good for you and will give you peace of mind. My husband and my sisters only asked me once if I was sure of the decision I had just taken and i said yes, I will not be able to go through the same thing again, with the stress of getting mammograms and ultrasounds again, it was very traumatic, as I assume it must be for every woman who is diagnosed with it. So once again, think about it and do not make a decision based on what others believe but only on what you want and how you feel. Glad you are done with chemo and rads.
  • ms_independent
    ms_independent Member Posts: 214
    bilateral
    I had a bilateral mastectomy for right breast DCIS. I had a couple of reasons: 1st-my family history is very strong for breast CA. I always told myself that WHEN (not if) I got breast cancer I would "get them both taken off and get fake ones put on. The known genetic markers were negative but, Dr.s feel there is/was a genetic component. I made that decision years befor I needed to. That made it easier for me to know the next step. 2nd-the whole journey from suspicion to diagnosis was so traumatic--I just don't want to go through that again. 3rd-I don't want to live my life in fear. 4th-the breast oncologist was very pleased with my choice and said that was what she would advise.

Having said all of that, it is a very individual choice. You have to do what feels right to you. Hopefully what you read on this board will help you to cristilize your feelings so you can make the best choice for you.

I wish you the best of everything. And congratulations on completing your treatment. If I understand your journey so far---you don't need to do anything right away---so, take the time you need.

Hugs, El
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    I chose bi-lateral
    My mammogram, and MRI showed cancers in one breast. On the surgeon's advice, I had s bi-lateral mastectomy because of the chance of getting cancer in the other breast. After the removed tissue was tested, the "healthy" breast had worse cancer than the one in which cancer had been identified originally!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Bilateral Mastectomy
    Hi Jean, my name is Sol and I had bilateral mastectomy in June '09. My tumor was in my right breast and my surgeon said it was totally up to me if I wanted the other breast removed, prophylactic mastectomy (I believe that is what it is called). I am 38 yrs old and I did not want to worry about my other side, besides, i thought it was going to be easier for my PS to make 2 new breast than trying to match one. I am very happy with the results, you know that it would never be the same, but I really like it, i had silicon gel implants and they look really good. Now, I believe you should do what you think is good for you and will give you peace of mind. My husband and my sisters only asked me once if I was sure of the decision I had just taken and i said yes, I will not be able to go through the same thing again, with the stress of getting mammograms and ultrasounds again, it was very traumatic, as I assume it must be for every woman who is diagnosed with it. So once again, think about it and do not make a decision based on what others believe but only on what you want and how you feel. Glad you are done with chemo and rads.

I had a lumpectomy, but,
    I had a lumpectomy, but, wanted to wish you good luck in your decision!