What the heck?

Gloria09
Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
If it's not one thing ... it's another. A few days after my last radiation appointment I developed what looked like it could be a pimple or bug bite near the nipple of the radiated area. Another day or two it was the same size as my nipple and dark in the center with infection. The spot and regular nipple became very sensitive. In fact the entire breast would be painful from time to time. Not like the occasional "ping" sensation from he radiation but more painful and covering a larger area ... probably from the infection. When this first developed I already had a follow up scheduled with my surgeon so he looked at it. He couldn't give me an answer as to what it is but gave me antibiotics (I'm on round two now). Of course we all know what happens when you are taking antibiotics ... yucky yeast infection. The spot has since released some fluid and is less painful as the infection gets better but still has a way to go. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    If it's not one thing, it's another...
    ...ain't that the truth, Gloria?

I don't have any experience or words of wisdom for you on this one, but just wanted to offer my sympathy and encouragement that this, too, shall (eventually) pass.

If your surgeon doesn't know what's causing this, have you seen your radiation oncologist about it, given that this developed right after rads? I've always thought that one benefit of accumulating as many doctors as we all do on this journey is that we have built-in 2nd (and 3rd) opinions -- even if you like and trust your surgeon, another professional opinion might help!

Hoping you get some relief soon,

Traci
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    TraciInLA said:

If it's not one thing, it's another...
    ...ain't that the truth, Gloria?

I don't have any experience or words of wisdom for you on this one, but just wanted to offer my sympathy and encouragement that this, too, shall (eventually) pass.

If your surgeon doesn't know what's causing this, have you seen your radiation oncologist about it, given that this developed right after rads? I've always thought that one benefit of accumulating as many doctors as we all do on this journey is that we have built-in 2nd (and 3rd) opinions -- even if you like and trust your surgeon, another professional opinion might help!

Hoping you get some relief soon,

Traci

Gloria
    Sorry for your complication. Good advice from Traci, check it out with somebody else. I have been asking the same question different doctors and have gotten much better outcome.
    Wishing you fast healing,
    New Flower
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Sorry to hear what has been
    Sorry to hear what has been happening to you. It does sound a little like a boil although these usually happen on the buttocks, thighs and underarms and face in the form of extreme acne but can happen anywhere. It is often an indication of a lowered immune system and can start as a result of bacteria getting in a crack in the skin or hair follicle. It is not about hygiene but rather that bacteria that is present on our bodies gets inside and our immune system can not fight it off.

However I would have through that if it were a boil, your surgeon might have figured that out. I agree with Traci to perhaps get another opinion or wait a few days and see if it improves.

For the yeast infection, a good yoghurt sometimes helps.
  • Gloria09
    Gloria09 Member Posts: 190
    Thank you ladies
    Thank you for your concern and advice. It is getting better, stopped draining and not as tender as before. I was told that radiated areas taked longer to heal than before so I just have to learn to be patient and it will go away. Yogurt is a great item to have anytime but especially when you have a yeast infection. That is staying under control too.

Hope you all had a good St Paddy's Day! The sun is shining here today and supposed to be in the 60's. Then tomorrow overcast and mix of snow and rain. Not sure about the rest of the weekend. Take care!