Starting folfox6 treatment tomorrow...

2»

Comments

• Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    mark440 said:

thanks
    It went pretty good today I guess... tried to eat an ice creme sandwich this evening... It felt like I stuck my tounge in a light socket!!! Isnt it too early for this???

Not too early
    Mark, I felt the buzzing, tingling in my left leg the day after my 1st Folfox chemo.I thought it was too early too but the nurse said "It's the Oxi".I think it affects us all in various manners.

Wait about 5-6 days for that ice cream. Drink tepid or warm drinks and foods warm or hot.Wear gloves in the fridge and freezer. Make sure the water is warm when you go to wash your hands. Don't breathe in cold air from fridge/freezer.I know they already told you all of this. The cold never affected me like it does some people but like I said, we are all different and that oxi is powerful stuff.

You'll get used to it....sort of. The first treatment is usually always more traumatic.

Take care. Stay out of the cold.

-Pat
  • Steve Z
    Steve Z Member Posts: 51
    mark440 said:

thanks
    It went pretty good today I guess... tried to eat an ice creme sandwich this evening... It felt like I stuck my tounge in a light socket!!! Isnt it too early for this???

You're doing great
    The fact that you wanted an ice cream sandwich means you have an appitite which is good. I hardly ever eat or drink anything cold. Warm soda is my friend now. I miss a cold glass of milk. I also try to walk some after my treatments. Breaking a little sweat seems to speed up recovery for me. I start treatment number ten today, and I played 18 holes of golf yesterday. So I hope you have the same recovery response that I do.

These are things that work for me, you'll figure out what works for you and do great. By the way, did you see Polanco hurt his ankle againt the Tigers yesterday?
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    Steve Z said:

You're doing great
    The fact that you wanted an ice cream sandwich means you have an appitite which is good. I hardly ever eat or drink anything cold. Warm soda is my friend now. I miss a cold glass of milk. I also try to walk some after my treatments. Breaking a little sweat seems to speed up recovery for me. I start treatment number ten today, and I played 18 holes of golf yesterday. So I hope you have the same recovery response that I do.

These are things that work for me, you'll figure out what works for you and do great. By the way, did you see Polanco hurt his ankle againt the Tigers yesterday?

ice-cream
    ahhh Mark....I'm sorry....you with your ice-cream sammie made me smile. No more ice-cream, or ice-cubes or freezer section for you my friend. Welcome to OXY world....

I agree with Steve....you're doing great....the first is over....hugs

mags
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    mark440 said:

thanks

That pesky oxi. Nope not to
    That pesky oxi. Nope not to early for that. It pretty much doesn't want you to enjoy yourself for about a week. (I call it satan in a bag) Before I even left the doc's office yesterday after my first day, I had my neuropathy back that had been gone for 10 or more days. My hands, thighs, and face. This morning, without thinking, because it was fine the days before, I reached my hands in the fridge to find my coffee creamer. Yeah, felt like 2nd degree burns on my hands. Back to using gloves to get stuff out of the fridge. :)

I'm really glad though that your first day went well. I'm on FOLFOX4, so I'm not really sure what they put into the FOLFOX6, but I wish you well.

I do have to admit that I started calcium and magnesium to help offset the neuropathy. I hope it works.
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    mark440 said:

thanks

Gotta love the Oxi
    Hate to say it, you can pretty much give up on anything colder than room temp for while. You'll probably be able to tolerate something with a little ice as long as you use a straw going into your off week. The longer your on it the further out the recoup time will be. Keep a pair of gloves handy for the fridge, steering wheel of your car, etc. if you're in a cold weather area. Judging by the garb you're wearing in your pic you are. In 2 days you'll be done with #1 and done before you know it. My first Tx went pretty easy, but the nausea got worse as I went. Just be sure to communicate with your Onc and if they're a good one they'll help you work through it. Hang tough!

-DJ
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    P_I_T_A said:

Gotta love the Oxi
    Hate to say it, you can pretty much give up on anything colder than room temp for while. You'll probably be able to tolerate something with a little ice as long as you use a straw going into your off week. The longer your on it the further out the recoup time will be. Keep a pair of gloves handy for the fridge, steering wheel of your car, etc. if you're in a cold weather area. Judging by the garb you're wearing in your pic you are. In 2 days you'll be done with #1 and done before you know it. My first Tx went pretty easy, but the nausea got worse as I went. Just be sure to communicate with your Onc and if they're a good one they'll help you work through it. Hang tough!

-DJ

Hi Mark!
    I never did the Oxyplatin, I am on Folfiri (Ironetecan) and been on it for over a year now, but heard how bad the side effects of oxy are, the neuropathy, not being able to reach into the refridgerated parts of the supermarket, or your house without gloves, not being able to drink or eat anything cold, I haven't experienced it at all, since I'm on a different treatment, but just letting you know I care and hope you get through it just fine! you'll have alot of people who were on it to help you through, and glad you got your first treatment down ok! Good luck with your journey, we're here for you!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • victory10
    victory10 Member Posts: 75
    Shayenne said:

Hi Mark!
    I never did the Oxyplatin, I am on Folfiri (Ironetecan) and been on it for over a year now, but heard how bad the side effects of oxy are, the neuropathy, not being able to reach into the refridgerated parts of the supermarket, or your house without gloves, not being able to drink or eat anything cold, I haven't experienced it at all, since I'm on a different treatment, but just letting you know I care and hope you get through it just fine! you'll have alot of people who were on it to help you through, and glad you got your first treatment down ok! Good luck with your journey, we're here for you!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Mark!
    I start my 8th treatment tommorow and at the beginning I figured that time was gonna go by no matter what so I knew I had to suck it up and walk through it. Each treatment I took the time to learn what I needed to learn from that treatment. I haven't had anything cold in my mouth since December when I forgot and drank some ice water and felt pins in my throat. From that day on, my husbby takes the fruit out of the refrid and let it get warm temperature for me... I too have gotten to where I don't mind drinking warm ginger ale but I look so forward to having an ice cream cone!!!!!

God will help you to get through each treatment, one day at a time. Make sure to sleep when u feel the fatique. And don't feel guilty about it...I was able to take a 6 month Sabbatical so I'm thankful... Blessings and strength to you Mark