How soon before normal?

Options
BethInAz
BethInAz Member Posts: 203 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my last treatment taxotere & cytoxan about 5 weeks ago. When I get tired, I get that smell that I had during treatments and I feel hot and get flushed. My eyes are still dry and they water. How long has it taken everybody on these chemicals to begin to feel normal again? I'm expecting the beginning of hair regrowth in about 3 more weeks but know that it will be a slow process. I think I'm doing well but would really like to shed the chemicals from my system and don't know if I'm being impatient and should expect to wait longer. Thanks for any input.
Beth

Comments

• MGNS
    MGNS Member Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I also had my last treatment
    I also had my last treatment of taxoter and cytoxine 5 wks. ago. and am still having a few of the side effects of tiredness, upset stomach and the taste and smell of the chemicals. The effects seem to be less each week. My hair is just stubs right now and doesn't seem to be growing very fast. I guess that depends on the individual. I'm looking at each day as a new day and enjoying each moment of feeling better and knowing I don't have to have the chemo treatments.
    Let's keep positive thoughts for each other and enjoy life to its fullest!
    We are winners!!!
  • BethInAz
    Options
    MGNS said:

I also had my last treatment
    I also had my last treatment of taxoter and cytoxine 5 wks. ago. and am still having a few of the side effects of tiredness, upset stomach and the taste and smell of the chemicals. The effects seem to be less each week. My hair is just stubs right now and doesn't seem to be growing very fast. I guess that depends on the individual. I'm looking at each day as a new day and enjoying each moment of feeling better and knowing I don't have to have the chemo treatments.
    Let's keep positive thoughts for each other and enjoy life to its fullest!
    We are winners!!!

Amen, dear sister!
    You said it right! Enjoy each day to its fullest! I guess when I took the last treatment, my patience ran out and I want to be all back to normal - right now!! I can't even remember what it was like to have hair anymore. It will be odd to have it back!
    Thanks for your sharing.
    Beth
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    BethInAz said:

Amen, dear sister!
    You said it right! Enjoy each day to its fullest! I guess when I took the last treatment, my patience ran out and I want to be all back to normal - right now!! I can't even remember what it was like to have hair anymore. It will be odd to have it back!
    Thanks for your sharing.
    Beth

My hair took a bit to start
    My hair took a bit to start growing. I actually didnt think it would. then all the sudden it started growing. and more quickly. still far from throwing away my scarves and wig, but it went from nothing to suddenly growing faster. i felt much better after six weeks, unfortunately had surgery so that was a setback. still dont like sweets, or to eat alot. but not nauseated. I didnt get the metalic taste so I dont know about that. I think I will be tired for a long time particualry starting radiation soon. One day at a time. I am so happy to be done with chemo. I wish the neuropathy would go away.
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi Beth
    I was on the same and ended Jan. 18. My legs are better now and don't feel like rubber and fatigued while walking. Hair is slow growing back, I'm still more scalp than hair. My stomach is still not right, I can't digest dairy anymore. If I don't take Lactaid, I'm tore up and cramping. Eyes have stopped watering and numbness and tingling are gone. My face gets breakouts now and my nails are half way off. It must be slow leaving the body. But I'm much better now than while on it. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    Options
    laurissa said:

Hi Beth
    I was on the same and ended Jan. 18. My legs are better now and don't feel like rubber and fatigued while walking. Hair is slow growing back, I'm still more scalp than hair. My stomach is still not right, I can't digest dairy anymore. If I don't take Lactaid, I'm tore up and cramping. Eyes have stopped watering and numbness and tingling are gone. My face gets breakouts now and my nails are half way off. It must be slow leaving the body. But I'm much better now than while on it. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Normal?
    What's THAT?? ;-)
  • BethInAz
    Options
    Sharon_D said:

Normal?
    What's THAT?? ;-)

Tee Hee, Sharon D
    Touche! What, truly, is "normal" anymore? I hear you, sister!
    Thanks for making me smile!
    Beth
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Options
    BethInAz said:

Tee Hee, Sharon D
    Touche! What, truly, is "normal" anymore? I hear you, sister!
    Thanks for making me smile!
    Beth

Was on the same regimen
    Always very active kept workouts up all thru chemo and rads. Took a year to feel close to normal but finally pretty
    much there. Don't let the beast get you down, just keep swinging!
  • Kathy09
    Kathy09 Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Oct 09
    Last treatment Hair is about 1/2 inch, my nails are still bad looking, about 1/2 way grown I still have no eyebrows growing, few eyelashes just started. An lastly my eyes still water bad, found out today my tear ducts are really blocked have to put me to sleep to do an aggressive cleanout. Someone once told me, "look how long you have been putting the chemicals in your body, it will probablly take just as long to get it out" It sure seems like thats agreeing with me at this point
  • Sharon_D
    Sharon_D Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Kathy09 said:

Oct 09
    Last treatment Hair is about 1/2 inch, my nails are still bad looking, about 1/2 way grown I still have no eyebrows growing, few eyelashes just started. An lastly my eyes still water bad, found out today my tear ducts are really blocked have to put me to sleep to do an aggressive cleanout. Someone once told me, "look how long you have been putting the chemicals in your body, it will probablly take just as long to get it out" It sure seems like thats agreeing with me at this point

A looooooooooong year
    I was told by a nurse that it will take up to a year for all the chems to get out of my body. That doesn't necessarily mean my tail feathers will drag for the whole year (I hope) but it means I could still get some weird things happen from time to time.