If you had RAI for thyroid cancer, what was your TSH before RAI?

CJMom
CJMom Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
I'm scheduled to have RAI on Monday after a TT on 2-3-10. I've been off my medication since 2-2-10. My TSH was around 50 on Monday and yesterday it had dropped to 45. Is that unusual or anything to be concerned about?

Comments

• butterfly123
    butterfly123 Member Posts: 52
    TSH
    I have not experienced a drop in TSH and cannot comment if it is unusual or not. Sorry I am not much help. The TSH flucuation could be because of the lab process and/or because you have thryoid cells still in your body that were not removed during surgery. Probably not something to be concerned with but you may want to check with your doctor. I did check on some other sites and your TSH level should be ok to have the RAI treatment.

Wishing you well this week. Check back in and let us know how you are doing. Massage your cheeks if they are sore - it will help with parotid gland swelling. I also lost my taste for a couple of weeks. Good news is that I lost weight during the entire process. Bad news is that I eventually gained it back (LOL). Overall my RAI experiences were not too bad.
  • CJMom
    CJMom Member Posts: 9

TSH
    I have not experienced a drop in TSH and cannot comment if it is unusual or not. Sorry I am not much help. The TSH flucuation could be because of the lab process and/or because you have thryoid cells still in your body that were not removed during surgery. Probably not something to be concerned with but you may want to check with your doctor. I did check on some other sites and your TSH level should be ok to have the RAI treatment.

Wishing you well this week. Check back in and let us know how you are doing. Massage your cheeks if they are sore - it will help with parotid gland swelling. I also lost my taste for a couple of weeks. Good news is that I lost weight during the entire process. Bad news is that I eventually gained it back (LOL). Overall my RAI experiences were not too bad.

TSH
    Thanks butterly for the response and well wishes. I really appreciate it! For the past week I've really been craving non LID-approved foods and I wonder if I'll even want them for awhile after tomorrow! I have lost about 10 pounds since my surgery, which was surprising since I've been going hypo. Hopefully I will make it through the next week or so with minimal issues. Right now I have a lot of anxiety about leaving my 3 year old son. I've never been away from him that long, but I know it's for a good cause. It definitely gives me comfort to know that your RAI experience wasn't too bad.
  • butterfly123
    butterfly123 Member Posts: 52
    CJMom said:

TSH
    Thanks butterly for the response and well wishes. I really appreciate it! For the past week I've really been craving non LID-approved foods and I wonder if I'll even want them for awhile after tomorrow! I have lost about 10 pounds since my surgery, which was surprising since I've been going hypo. Hopefully I will make it through the next week or so with minimal issues. Right now I have a lot of anxiety about leaving my 3 year old son. I've never been away from him that long, but I know it's for a good cause. It definitely gives me comfort to know that your RAI experience wasn't too bad.

RAI
    I do not have children but I could imagine how hard it will be. I hope everything goes well for you!

Have you tried skype.....it may be a good way to see and talk to your child while you have to be away.?