Prep for colonoscopy

Options
Kerry S
Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am not selling - just telling the facts

For those of you on Medicare, this is a much better and cheaper prep for a colonoscopy. Sometimes referred to as “body Drano time”.

The old go lightly crud where you have to drink a gallon sucks. With this you only drink ½ gallon. Copay on go lightly is $40. This cost $9 over the counter.

They have you buy the Miralax in the 238 gram bottle and mix it with 64 oz of water or Gatorade.

Your start with 2 Dulcolax at noon
Then at 1pm you drink the Miralax mix over the next 2 hours.
At 5pm you take 2 more of the Dulcolax

I would ask your doc if this is ok with him/her. When I can save $30 and only drink ½ gallon, it is well worth it.

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Did it
    That's what I used last time. Worked fine, didn't even need to drink it all. And I even had a large prescription bottle of miralax at home already and stool softeners I take every day, so all I had to spring for was the gatorade. The gatorade helps keep your electrolytes in balance and prevents dehydration from going so much. It's better to use the gatorade than just plain water.
    Pam
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Options
    Same prep
    This is the same prep I just did for my colonoscopy, except was instructed to take all 4 dulcolax at 1pm. It certainly cleaned me out!

all the best, Leslie
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    lesvanb said:

Same prep
    This is the same prep I just did for my colonoscopy, except was instructed to take all 4 dulcolax at 1pm. It certainly cleaned me out!

all the best, Leslie

Yep! Same for me. Miralax (
    Yep! Same for me. Miralax ( very large dose...no cramping and there is a generic at Walgreens now )& 5 Dulcolax a couple hrs prior to drinking the mix. Prep not near a bad as I had heard. A word of caution: I was told NOT to use red, purple, or orange Gatorade as it might stain/look like blood. I was also given the option of using Ginger Ale instead of Gatorade.I used Lemon-Lime Gatorade and had it very chilled.8 oz. every 15 minutes if I recall right.

-Pat
  • Joy1216
    Joy1216 Member Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Been There Done That
    I've had three colonoscopies since 2006 and did the Miralax/Dulcolax combo each time. I can't taste or smell the Miralax. Besides certain kinds of Gatorade, my gastro also allows Crystal Light Lemonade. I mix the Miralax and Gatorade in a gallon pitcher and I try to drink 8 ounces every 15 minutes over the 2-hour period.

I want to add that I postponed my first colonoscopy for six years because I had heard horror stories about the awful-tasting prep and the huge amount you have to drink. If I had only known about Miralax... I received my colon cancer diagnosis as a result of the first colonoscopy.
    Joy
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    me too.
    I have a colonoscopy coming up on April 9 and this is the first time I will be using this prep. It seems to be the "latest thing". Thanks for posting cause I was wondering about it!
    The only thing that really sux is that my colonoscopy is not scheduled until 1pm the next day and they say nothing to eat or drink after midnight! Good luck getting the IV in if I am dehydrated and freezing cold (cause hospital is always freezing)!
    At what time did you all stop crapping? do you think it will be OK to prep at home and drive 2 hours to the hospital the next day or will I need to spend the night? Geez.
    -Susan H.
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options

me too.
    I have a colonoscopy coming up on April 9 and this is the first time I will be using this prep. It seems to be the "latest thing". Thanks for posting cause I was wondering about it!
    The only thing that really sux is that my colonoscopy is not scheduled until 1pm the next day and they say nothing to eat or drink after midnight! Good luck getting the IV in if I am dehydrated and freezing cold (cause hospital is always freezing)!
    At what time did you all stop crapping? do you think it will be OK to prep at home and drive 2 hours to the hospital the next day or will I need to spend the night? Geez.
    -Susan H.

driving
    Don't go alone. They will not let you drive after, you should have someone with you, where I have mine done they won't do it if you come alone. They put me clear out with iv sedation so you are kind of out of it after, and unsafe to drive. You know those times on your instruction sheet are kind of generic, and set for morning procedures, I did adjust the timing on mine to later as my last 2 scopes were later too. I drink the mix until going clear then is ok to stop. It is over an hour to get where I have mine, and haven't had a problem. I do have a few sips of liquid or some ice chips in the am, but I don't tell them that. I have had so many of these I know what I can get away with. I know I'm bad, and if you ask the nurse or doctor, they will tell you to follow the instructions exactly. Try to drink as much liquid as you can up until your cut off time, and drink some gatorade without the prep mixed in too, this will help with hydration. Never had a problem with scopes, I've had probably 7 and hope yours goes well.
    Pam
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Miralax prep
    This is very similar to mine. But mine was 2 days of low fiber diet. Then the day before prodedure, clear liquids only, 2 Dulcolax at noon, then at 4PM Miralax mixed with 64oz Gatorade (no red) taken as 8 oz at a time, every 15 minutes till gone. Day of procedure, 4 hours prior, stop all clear liquids and drink one 8oz bottle of magnesium citrate (clear - not red).

It went very well for me. Actually it was the best I'd felt in over a year (because everything could actually get out of my colon - I was almost 100% blocked).

So for my stepdad who is scheduled for a colonoscopy at the VA next month, he put me on the phone with the doctor to explain my prep (after he was done with his upper GI and still groggy). They ok'd it for him, over the awful prescription stuff he and my mother have had to use in the past.

Today is my husband's clear liquid/Miralax day. He had his Dulcolax and has to start the Miralax soon. Scope tomorrow. He's whining but I keep reminding him this is NOTHING compared to what I've been going through the last 7 months, which is what he could end up with if he doesn't go. Then he agrees to do it, but insists that he will whine the whole way through. I can live with that, as long as he gets his scope! He turned 50 last May and both his doctor and I tried to get him to schedule his colonocopy right away. So did the insurance company. Little did any of us know at that time that I was the one really needing the scope (a few years before 50). Since my dx, he's not wanted to deal with other medical issues until I am done. But he had to burn his vacation time (since we weren't allowed to travel for our usual February trip due to my tx). So I called and made his appointment!

Poor guy is stuck with a sick wife and colonoscopy prep for his vacation. I feel awful for him.
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

driving
    Don't go alone. They will not let you drive after, you should have someone with you, where I have mine done they won't do it if you come alone. They put me clear out with iv sedation so you are kind of out of it after, and unsafe to drive. You know those times on your instruction sheet are kind of generic, and set for morning procedures, I did adjust the timing on mine to later as my last 2 scopes were later too. I drink the mix until going clear then is ok to stop. It is over an hour to get where I have mine, and haven't had a problem. I do have a few sips of liquid or some ice chips in the am, but I don't tell them that. I have had so many of these I know what I can get away with. I know I'm bad, and if you ask the nurse or doctor, they will tell you to follow the instructions exactly. Try to drink as much liquid as you can up until your cut off time, and drink some gatorade without the prep mixed in too, this will help with hydration. Never had a problem with scopes, I've had probably 7 and hope yours goes well.
    Pam

Thank you!
    Thanks for the tips. I wasn't planning on driving myself home! This will be my 5th scope, but the first time w/ this prep. I know I will be sedated heavily for the scope, which is the only thing about it I am looking forward to! Anyway, I don't know whether I will try to spend the night beforehand, or just go up in the morning. I just don't want any urgent emergencies in the car! although I cannot imagine I would have anything left in my system by then. I am not supposed to be at the hospital until 11:30 the next day. Fun times!
    -Susan