I am newly diagnosed...

Options
2»

Comments

• helen e
    helen e Member Posts: 223
    Options
    Both
    They found my lump in Sept. and in Oct. did a lumpectomy. Surgeon found margins weren't clear and said that he might need to go back in and take more tissue. They took my report to a tumor board and it was decided that I should have a mastectomy. Even though I was told they might have to go back in I was unprepared to hear the word mastectomy. My chances for reoccurrence were 30-40% if I didn't have the mastectomy, so I really didn't have much choice. I had invasive ductal carcinoma and there was more ductal carcinoma in-situ (DCIS) then they thought. I am 44 too, and had very dense breast tissue as well. I was only stage 1 and terrified as well. Please know that this is very normal. You need to do what feels right for you, if don't you will always worry. Listen carefully to your doctor, ask a lot of questions, do your research - you've picked a great site for that with everyone here.
  • Youcandothis
    Youcandothis Member Posts: 79
    Options
    helen e said:

Both
    They found my lump in Sept. and in Oct. did a lumpectomy. Surgeon found margins weren't clear and said that he might need to go back in and take more tissue. They took my report to a tumor board and it was decided that I should have a mastectomy. Even though I was told they might have to go back in I was unprepared to hear the word mastectomy. My chances for reoccurrence were 30-40% if I didn't have the mastectomy, so I really didn't have much choice. I had invasive ductal carcinoma and there was more ductal carcinoma in-situ (DCIS) then they thought. I am 44 too, and had very dense breast tissue as well. I was only stage 1 and terrified as well. Please know that this is very normal. You need to do what feels right for you, if don't you will always worry. Listen carefully to your doctor, ask a lot of questions, do your research - you've picked a great site for that with everyone here.

Re how will you know if it comes back: if yours is the more common form, they can test for it in your blood work. My onc seers me every 3 mos, I get a complete blood workup at that time. She says any recurrence will throw off a marker that they test for. Btw I had a pet scan after being diagnosed supposed to pick up any secondary lesions.