need suggestions on how to get water into my body

mariam_11_09
mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anybody got an ideas of how I can get water into my body? I have tried drinking with a straw but even that is not easy.

This is a week after chemo and my throat is raw. I have a hard time swallowing, that is when food or water enters my stomach, I have a great deal of pain that appears to be gas and acid related. The oncologist gave me an acid blocker and some anti-acid/anti-gas, while this helps with the actual acid reflux it is not helping with the gas in my stomach, which is painful or the sore throat which according to the Onc. is not infected, just raw.

I am not getting enough water into my body and now am having headaches, nausea and am getting a boil on my bum and in addition my port incision (which was almost healed) is now looking a little red and angry. And I just couldn't sleep.

I guess one day at a time. Will call the Oncologist today to see what he has to say.

Comments

• brenda247
    brenda247 Member Posts: 124
    know how ya feel
    YES I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AFTER MY FIRST CHEMO MY MOUTH WAS SO BAD COULDNT DRINK OR EAT ANYTHING I WAS HAVING TO FORCE IT AND IT WASNT GOING NOWHERE. ASK YOUR DR ABOUT SOME MOUTHWASH DUKES THEY GAVE IT TO ME AND I GOT SOME RELIEF. HOPE THIS HELPS CAUSE BELIEVE ME I BEEN THERE..
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Try sucking on ice cubes
    Try sucking on ice cubes (Flavored ones like made with a flavored water taste a bit better if you're not a water-a-holic) or eating crushed ice (again made with flavored water or flavor poured over it).
  • mariam_11_09
    Rague said:

Try sucking on ice cubes
    Try sucking on ice cubes (Flavored ones like made with a flavored water taste a bit better if you're not a water-a-holic) or eating crushed ice (again made with flavored water or flavor poured over it).

Thank-you. I will

Thank-you. I will definitely ask for the mouth and wash and I have some ice-cubes (water and electtrolytes) started in the freezer.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Mouthwash
    There are two kinds of mouthwash they can give you. One is a preventative (caphasol, I think) and the other "Magic Mouthwash" is for the sores you do have. I had trouble swallowing at first, too. It was very annoying and sometimes painful. How about eating soft, liquidy foods like applesauce and mashed potatoes? Can you do smoothies? The swallowing problem gradually went away for me. I wish you luck.

Mimi
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Warm liquids?
    I know when my throat is sore, it feels better to have warm liquids going down rather than cold. Have you tried some herbal teas or soup? I also think the suggestion of foods with a high water content would be a good idea.

I hope you feel better soon. I had that indigestion feeling also during chemo. Not fun at all, but this too shall pass - hang in there, and let us know what your doctor says.

Healing Hugs,
    Cindy
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Smart.Water is flavorless
    Smart.Water is flavorless electrolyte enhanced bottled water~ perhaps you can freeze those as well! If you like flavor, you can also mix the electrolyte water with Crystal Lite.

I got natural popsicles~ the brand I like is called Fruit-a-freeze, and it is pretty much frozen juice with real fruit in it.

As one of our sisters mentioned, oftentimes warm/hot liquids are easier to get down than cold ones. Have you tried drinking Green Tea? Or peppermint tea to settle your stomach?

So sorry you are experiencing this; I hope you find relief soooooon!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    chenheart said:

Smart.Water is flavorless
    Smart.Water is flavorless electrolyte enhanced bottled water~ perhaps you can freeze those as well! If you like flavor, you can also mix the electrolyte water with Crystal Lite.

I got natural popsicles~ the brand I like is called Fruit-a-freeze, and it is pretty much frozen juice with real fruit in it.

As one of our sisters mentioned, oftentimes warm/hot liquids are easier to get down than cold ones. Have you tried drinking Green Tea? Or peppermint tea to settle your stomach?

So sorry you are experiencing this; I hope you find relief soooooon!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Did they check you to make
    Did they check you to make sure you didnt have thrush? Is your tongue white? that can also extend to your throat? jello is good too, soups. everyone has pretty much mentioned what I tried. idid not have a super sore throat, but I did have that gas feeling and had trouble eating and drinking. set small goals each hour. so you dont get behind. ask them to give you extra fluid at you r treatments. i used to get a liter of IV fluid each treatment. It helped give me a boost. let us know how it is going.
  • Chrispea
    Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
    I'm ok with swallowing, but
    I'm ok with swallowing, but I get a lot of reflux and gas with chemo (taxotere, actually, didn't happen w/ AC)... I asked my onc about it, I just need to eat lighter stuff... not heavy or spicy.

I also take Prilosec, and tums seems to help...

Mine only lasts about 3 days, it's annoying, but it goes away.

My throat hurts from drainage from my nose... but again, it only lasts a few days then that goes away, too.

Good luck.
  • mariam_11_09
    Bugger. I was waiting for
    Bugger. I was waiting for the Oncologist to call me back. He is usually pretty good, so is his nurse. Then when my daughter didn't call I figured out our phone is not working!! Errgg! We have digital phone with Earthlink and sometimes it is more of a headache than it is worth.

So in the meantime, I am feeling a little better and have gotten considerably more water down my throat which makes me feel better. And yes, warm drinks seem to work better although some of the herbal teas seem to burn (not from the heat). I am going to get loads of rest this weekend and do what I can to take care.

Thanks for all your input and experiences with chemo. It all helps put things in perspective and feel supported.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

Bugger. I was waiting for
    Bugger. I was waiting for the Oncologist to call me back. He is usually pretty good, so is his nurse. Then when my daughter didn't call I figured out our phone is not working!! Errgg! We have digital phone with Earthlink and sometimes it is more of a headache than it is worth.

So in the meantime, I am feeling a little better and have gotten considerably more water down my throat which makes me feel better. And yes, warm drinks seem to work better although some of the herbal teas seem to burn (not from the heat). I am going to get loads of rest this weekend and do what I can to take care.

Thanks for all your input and experiences with chemo. It all helps put things in perspective and feel supported.

Frozen yogurt or ice pops
    might work. Good luck.