BC and calcium deposits

gurna
gurna Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just finished Chemo and Radiation have had mastectomy of left breast. Now I'm learning I have calcium deposits in right breast. My first thought is to go back to surgery and have the right one removed as well. Any feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    singles vs clusters
    Hi gurna. There is a big difference between scattered, single calcification spots and clusters of calcifications!

I have large breasts and have had mammograms done each year for the past 8 years, since I turned 50. In each and every one. there were calcium deposits noted. I breastfed my one child for several years and produced plenty of milk. I don't know if that's why I have the deposits??? Nor do the doctors know why I have them. They light up like stars in the cloudy heavens on the x-rays.

However, this past spring, my annual mammo showed a cluster (key word) of small ("micro-") calcifications. This is indicative of the debris left behind from dead cells. To have so many dead cells in one small area leads the docs to believe that the cells are dividing rapidly and dying off rapidly (that is what cancer cells do). The cluster turned out to be an area of ductal carcinoma in situ (or "DCIS"), a not-yet-and-may-never-become cancer. At my 6 month post lumpectomy surgery mammo, done last week, there are still plenty of the scattered, bright, large, calcium deposits, but no more 'clusters'. I was pronounced 'no significant findings'! Hope this info helps.
    ~~Connie~~
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I've had calcifications
    in my right breast 11 and 10 years ago, had 2 biopsies - both neg. This time, they were in the left side, 'clustered' and positive. Had lumpectomy 12/7, last rads tomorrow.

Was your left breast BC DCIS od IDC?

Sue
  • gurna
    sbmly53 said:

I've had calcifications
    in my right breast 11 and 10 years ago, had 2 biopsies - both neg. This time, they were in the left side, 'clustered' and positive. Had lumpectomy 12/7, last rads tomorrow.

Was your left breast BC DCIS od IDC?

Sue

Thanks for the info. My
    Thanks for the info. My left breast was lobular carcinomia. Just freaking out a bit about the right one now. I have an apt with my Dr. tomorrow. Thanks again Sue.
  • gurna
    crselby said:

singles vs clusters
    Hi gurna. There is a big difference between scattered, single calcification spots and clusters of calcifications!

I have large breasts and have had mammograms done each year for the past 8 years, since I turned 50. In each and every one. there were calcium deposits noted. I breastfed my one child for several years and produced plenty of milk. I don't know if that's why I have the deposits??? Nor do the doctors know why I have them. They light up like stars in the cloudy heavens on the x-rays.

However, this past spring, my annual mammo showed a cluster (key word) of small ("micro-") calcifications. This is indicative of the debris left behind from dead cells. To have so many dead cells in one small area leads the docs to believe that the cells are dividing rapidly and dying off rapidly (that is what cancer cells do). The cluster turned out to be an area of ductal carcinoma in situ (or "DCIS"), a not-yet-and-may-never-become cancer. At my 6 month post lumpectomy surgery mammo, done last week, there are still plenty of the scattered, bright, large, calcium deposits, but no more 'clusters'. I was pronounced 'no significant findings'! Hope this info helps.
    ~~Connie~~

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.