ovaries removed because ER+ and PR+

chipoo
chipoo Member Posts: 32
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am considering having my ovaries removed because I was pre-metapausal when diagnosed with BC. I am ER+, PR+, and Her2+. Has anyone had this operation as a way to lower the estrogen and stop from having to take tamoxifen. Also, I was just curious how many people are Her2 positive like me.

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    I was er,pr+
    butHer2-.I remember my onc at one time talking about having my ovaries removed as an option,but I never did.I am on Tamoxifen for a few more months and then he's going to put me on something else since I am now past menopause .
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I was er,pr+
    butHer2-.I remember my onc at one time talking about having my ovaries removed as an option,but I never did.I am on Tamoxifen for a few more months and then he's going to put me on something else since I am now past menopause .

I am premenopausal, erpos.pr
    I am premenopausal, erpos.pr pos her2neg. my onc has talked about lupron to shut down the ovaries not sure how I feel about that. He says you can still have 20-30 percent ovarian activity even if your periods stop.
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    I am having my hysterectomy
    I am having my hysterectomy tomorrow (3/4) for this very reason. I will still take tamoxifen for 5 years and then move on to an aromotase inhibitor for 5 years. (I was 38 yrs. old at time of diagnosis.) All of this together gives us a 96% success rate. I am not Her2 positive so I cannot comment on that piece of the puzzle. Good luck with your treatment plan and feel free to PM me if you need more details. I'll try to post about my hysterectomy too so that may be of help... All the best, Pitt
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    pitt said:

I am having my hysterectomy
    I am having my hysterectomy tomorrow (3/4) for this very reason. I will still take tamoxifen for 5 years and then move on to an aromotase inhibitor for 5 years. (I was 38 yrs. old at time of diagnosis.) All of this together gives us a 96% success rate. I am not Her2 positive so I cannot comment on that piece of the puzzle. Good luck with your treatment plan and feel free to PM me if you need more details. I'll try to post about my hysterectomy too so that may be of help... All the best, Pitt

Good luck, Pitt
    With your surgery tomorrow! I'm having bloodwork done this month to see what my estrogen levels are. I'm on Tamoxifen and haven't had a period since May. They will discuss with me after the blood tests about having my ovaries removed if there is still estrogen in my system.

Let us know how you're doing after your surgery when you can!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

I was er,pr+

My oncologist suggested it,
    My oncologist suggested it, but, I didn't want to remove my ovaries. Good luck in your decision.

HUGS
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I have your same markers(
    I have your same markers( er+, pr+, her2+). My oncologist has not talked to me about having my ovaries removed and or hysterectomy. I am supposed to take Tamoxifen after I am done with radiation. Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165

I have your same markers(
    I have your same markers( er+, pr+, her2+). My oncologist has not talked to me about having my ovaries removed and or hysterectomy. I am supposed to take Tamoxifen after I am done with radiation. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I am also the same ER+, PR+,
    I am also the same ER+, PR+, and Her2+.Im stage 4 breast CA with mets to liver. Im still taking chemo. I got my fourth Taxol and seventh Herceptin today. My oncologist has mentioned removing the ovaries but hafta wait and see how chemo works on my liver before and surgeries.
    Deb
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I am premenopausal despite
    I am premenopausal despite chemo at 42. I am taking tamoxifen and it has been suppressing my period. My cancer was er and pr+ but I decided not to have my ovaries removed because estrogen serves other functions in the body including being protective of the heart and arteries. I would get as much information as possible before making a decision. Good luck.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Eil4186 said:

I am premenopausal despite
    I am premenopausal despite chemo at 42. I am taking tamoxifen and it has been suppressing my period. My cancer was er and pr+ but I decided not to have my ovaries removed because estrogen serves other functions in the body including being protective of the heart and arteries. I would get as much information as possible before making a decision. Good luck.

Wishing you good luck in
    Wishing you good luck in making your decision!

KYLEZ ♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Kylez said:

Wishing you good luck in
    Wishing you good luck in making your decision!

KYLEZ ♥

tough decision. do your
    tough decision. do your homework and let us know.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Deb1969 said:

I am also the same ER+, PR+,
    I am also the same ER+, PR+, and Her2+.Im stage 4 breast CA with mets to liver. Im still taking chemo. I got my fourth Taxol and seventh Herceptin today. My oncologist has mentioned removing the ovaries but hafta wait and see how chemo works on my liver before and surgeries.
    Deb

I Hope
    I hope your treatment works on your liver. Take care.

P