Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    vlmh said:

Thinking of you
    (This is my first time to post. I hope that I am responding in a way that will be helpful.)

Seven years ago I had a mastectomy and eight chemotherapy treatments. Things went very well for me during treatment ~ no nausea, quick recovery, continued to work, etc. I truly thought that I was finished with breast cancer because I was on the "check-up once-a-year" plan. In November found out that it had returned. Unbelievable. My oncologist said I needed radiation this time and four more chemotherapy treatments (combination of cytoxin and taxitire - sp?). I was concerned that things would not go as well this time. The radiation was first ~ 24 Tomo treatments ~ they went well. (I had some skin flare-ups, but nothing really bad.) My first chemotherapy treatment was last Friday, Feb 26th, and I am so thankful that things are going well with that, too. The drugs that they give us to keep us from being nauseated really do work ~ what a blessing! I have been very tired and my stomach has felt weird. (A warm heating pad makes it feel better.) Some things taste funny and some smells are bothersome. (I am a coffee addict, but right now I can't stand the taste of it and have switched to tea.) If I get tired, I take a rest and I have given myself permission to eat mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese whenever I feel like it. It has been five days and I am pretty much back to normal. I am so, so thankful that I am able to get on with my life, even in the midst of treatment. I pray such is the case for you, too. I will keep you in my prayers.

It is always so sad to read
    It is always so sad to read of a recurrence by one of our bc sisters. I am hoping and praying for you.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Almost Same As You
    Three years ago I had 0 Stage DCIS - right breast. Decided on bilateral mastectomy in July 2006. Sentinel lymph nodes were free of cancer and no further cancer cells were found in the breast. No chemo No rads required. October 2009 tiny, tiny growth on scar - diagnosed invasive cancer, Grade 2. Bone scan, MRI, and CT Scan ordered in Oct/Nov 2009 - no further cancer detected (HOWEVER, THESE TESTS CANNOT DETECT MICROSCOPIC CANCER - ONLY A MICROSCOPE CAN DETECT MICROSCOPIC CANCER). Hence, I had 31 radiation treatments. Yesterday saw the medical oncologist and decided to take Armidex for the next 5 years.

My reaction when I was told that I had invasive carcinoma - HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE! I was told that I am in the very rare group - 1% get a recurrence based on my initial cancer.

Second time around is definitely a different ballgame.

I guess, just like you, one cell got away. It takes some time to adjust mentally to the recurrence. Second time I experienced some anger. So you also may have many different emotions relating to the recurrence. Second time I want to be around breast cancer survivors. I want them in my life.

This is a good site to be on. The women are very caring, supportive, knowledgeable, and funny. Most important, they never act like they are your doctor. Post as many questions as you want. Post whatever emotions you are feeling for the emotional support.

Good luck on your appointment tomorrow and let us know what you doctors advise.

Lots of Hugs and Lots of Love,
    Janelle
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    bjmom1 said:

Have reoccurence
    I was just diagnosed with a recurrence of my breast cancer and like you it only been 2 1/2 years and I had chemo and radiation. Know I have bone met. It is very scary I still can't believe this is happening to me. I will begin radiation next week and infusion Friday. It hard to believe you have go through this all over again. But I want you to try and stay strong and try get your strenght from others. Good luck and God Bless

So sorry for the recurrence.
    So sorry for the recurrence. Sending you good luck and prayers!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • marilyndbk
    marilyndbk Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi linpsu and welcome. I am
    Hi linpsu and welcome. I am still shocked that I was dx with recurrance about 8 mos ago. In 2001, I had lumpectomy, rad treatments, took Tamox for 4-1/2 yrs and thought I was doing whatever necessary for good health--other than stress from bad marriage. In 2001 I was told I had 95% chance of not having cancer return. I lost on those odds and had bilatral mastectomy with Latissimus flap recon with expanders in Sept. Last week I had the exchange surgery and am now working on getting used to my new normal self. Cancer takes a toll on our minds and our bodies. My emotions are all over the place--one day (sometimes one minute)may be bad and the next I know I am going to be ok no matter what. I have faith that God has a good plan for our lives. Take good care of yourself and just know positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way. Marilyn
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Barb A said:

Same experience with recurrence
    Hi linpsu. I'm sorry you're going through this again. It is scarier the second time around. When I had a mastectomy, I thought I was done with the possibility of cancer in that side. I had a mastectomy w/tram flap reconstruction in early 2001, no chemo/rads. In October 2007 I found a lump in the reconstructed breast. This was an agressive form of IDC, stage 3. I had a lumpectomy; got clear margins and no node involvement. This was followed by chemo and then rads. I tolerated all of it fairly well. In June it will be two years since finishing rads. I have been on Arimidex for almost two years and for the most part am handling that well. The last couple of months I've had joint/bone pain, but with the WI weather and some arthritis, that may be the cause.

My onc wouldn't do any testing the last two years to make sure the treatments got all the cancer. With the joint/bone pain, I finally got him to order a bone scan. Last week I met with him and all is good. The peace of mind sure helps.

Try to take it one treatment and day at a time. Get through them and then be diligent in doing your monthly BSEs, eating well, exercising and keeping your regularly scheduled appointments with your onc. I even have my yearly mammo on the reconstructed breast. I admit, when I have an ache, pain or just don't feel well, my first thought is "it's back", but then I take a step back and remember it can be anything simple.

Yes, it sucks to have a recurrance, but you can fight it, beat it again and live a long life. I plan to.

Barb

So sorry Barb that you had a
    So sorry Barb that you had a recurrence too. Sending you prayers!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Options
    Hi
    My cancer was also said to be "invasive and aggressive". This was in Sept. I had a 4.4 cm tumor in right breast and an egg sized lymph node under arm. The chemo did it's job. I just had a lumpectomy on Tuesday and I'm cancer free today. For how long is another question. But for today, I'm glad. Chemo is a pain, but it can work wonders.