Oh no, I have a cold ~ update!!

Chrispea
Chrispea Member Posts: 123 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm so upset! I have a cold, and it's given me a slight fever. I've been watching my temp yesterday and today. When I woke up it was 98.5, I was sooo happy. Then, as I sat at the computer, I could tell I was getting warm. It's only 100.1.

I have my last chemo on Wednesday and I really, really don't want to miss it. I know if I call the nurse, they'll make me go to the ER, which is an hour away.

I'm just going to watch it some more, if it goes to 101, I will go, I know I have to.

Why did this happen... I just want to cry. This isn't fair. :( In Sept. after my first chemo, I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, with a sinus infection. So I had to delay one chemo already. (this was all when the big swine flu was about, so they had to swab me... ouch!)

I just want to get this chemo done and move on to the next step.

Just needed to vent and cry a little. :(

UPDATED BELOW!

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    You probably should call the
    You probably should call the nurse. I understand that you want chemo over, but, you don't want to ignore your having a temperature either. Good luck!

Angie
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I agree with Angie. I was
    I agree with Angie. I was told by my oncologist to call immediately if I began to run a fever. In fact she had given me an antibiotic that I was to take if I had the fever on the weekend and had to go to the ER. That was to get the antibiotic in my system immediately just in case there was a long wait in the ER. Otherwise, I was to go directly to her office if it was during the work week. Better to be safe than sorry!! Good luck!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    MyTurnNow said:

I agree with Angie. I was
    I agree with Angie. I was told by my oncologist to call immediately if I began to run a fever. In fact she had given me an antibiotic that I was to take if I had the fever on the weekend and had to go to the ER. That was to get the antibiotic in my system immediately just in case there was a long wait in the ER. Otherwise, I was to go directly to her office if it was during the work week. Better to be safe than sorry!! Good luck!

Please call your doctor.
    Please call your doctor. You are suppose to alert them if you run a fever.

Lex♥
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Chrispea
    Try not to get yourself worked up. You will make yourself sicker. Call your Doc and see what he says you need to do. A high temp is nothing to mess with.

Hope you get to feeling better.

P
  • kbmayhem
    kbmayhem Member Posts: 1
    New
    Also suffering from a nasty head cold and recovering from lumpectomy, Im suppose to go back to work tomorrow..eee gads! I normally bounce back from stuff quickly this though is kicking me. Can't wait to see what chemo does to me!

Feeling your head cold pain!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Not telling you anything you don't know, of course!
    Ok~ I mentioned in my Hogwarts post that when I am not stealing from movies, I also steal quotes! So, from The Great Debaters.... "We do what we HAVE to do, so we can do what we WANT to do."
    You already know that you have to call the RN~ when that happened to me, my Dr just called in a prescription to my local pharmacy. If you are down to your last chemo (YAY YAY YAY) you already know that your white counts are depleted, and even a 101 spike in temp can truly signal an infection which you can't fight with no white cells at your beck and call. If you don't call, and you go in for chemo and you have an infection, you will have made the trip to your cancer center for nothing anyway, right?????

Of course you can cry, whine, vent, yell, and be disappointed~ it is part and parcel of this damnable cancer! Feel better soon, Kindred Spirit!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    chenheart said:

Not telling you anything you don't know, of course!
    Ok~ I mentioned in my Hogwarts post that when I am not stealing from movies, I also steal quotes! So, from The Great Debaters.... "We do what we HAVE to do, so we can do what we WANT to do."
    You already know that you have to call the RN~ when that happened to me, my Dr just called in a prescription to my local pharmacy. If you are down to your last chemo (YAY YAY YAY) you already know that your white counts are depleted, and even a 101 spike in temp can truly signal an infection which you can't fight with no white cells at your beck and call. If you don't call, and you go in for chemo and you have an infection, you will have made the trip to your cancer center for nothing anyway, right?????

Of course you can cry, whine, vent, yell, and be disappointed~ it is part and parcel of this damnable cancer! Feel better soon, Kindred Spirit!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Listen to your Mother!
    Or in this case Chen and all of us. Call your doc. For all the reasons stated here. Better to be a week late (hope not) than to end up in the hospital and be even later. We can all relate...but who would ever think someone would ever say "I don't want to miss my chemo". Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Skeezie said:

Listen to your Mother!
    Or in this case Chen and all of us. Call your doc. For all the reasons stated here. Better to be a week late (hope not) than to end up in the hospital and be even later. We can all relate...but who would ever think someone would ever say "I don't want to miss my chemo". Hope you feel better soon.

Welcome KBMayhem.
    Love your name. Welcome to this wonderful group and know you will find good advice, friendship, love and lots of understanding. Please refer to the topic "hogwarts", it pretty well describs this board.

I'm sorry you're sick right after you're lumpectomy. Right now your resistence is down from your surgery and it does take longer to bounce back. Have you gotten your results back yet? Keep us posted when you do and I hope you feel better soon.

• Chrispea
    Well, girls. I called. I'm
    Well, girls. I called. I'm just waiting for the nurse to call me back and tell me what to do. Crossing fingers for something easy like a called in script...

Hey, it could happen!! ;)
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Chrispea said:

Well, girls. I called. I'm
    Well, girls. I called. I'm just waiting for the nurse to call me back and tell me what to do. Crossing fingers for something easy like a called in script...

Hey, it could happen!! ;)

Bless your heart for
    Bless your heart for calling~ and yes, it could happen that your doctor will indeed call in an RX~ let us know! Oh...your entire medical team wants you to finish chemo on time too! :-)

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi crispea....
    I developed a virus (cold/cough) right after my second chemo, and it lasted the rest of the time that I had chemo. I also completely lost my voice for seven weeks....according to the ENT I saw, the chemo did a bit of damage to my vocal cords, and they had to regenerate when chemo finished. I was terrified that the onc would make me stop chemo, but he didn't. In fact, he gave me the option of stopping for awhile or continuing, but I wanted to keep going. So we did and I finished chemo as planned.

Every onc will have his/her own thoughts on whether you should continue, or whether you should take a break to get over your illness. I would think that unless you are direly ill, you may very well be allowed to have your last chemo on schedule.

Hugs,

CR
  • Lisa1967
    Lisa1967 Member Posts: 9
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Oh, I really hope you're feeling better and the fever went down.

(lboregon)
  • Chrispea
    The nurse finally called
    The nurse finally called back this morning. :) She said I sounded good and asked if I had a fever. I said no, and told her that I had one yesterday and what it was, and that I don't have one now and haven't taken any meds since 8pm last night.

She said I sounded good (like not stuffy or sick)

She said I can get chemo as long as I don't have a fever tomorrow morning.

I'm so relieved that I can get my last chemo. Wow, what a milestone. I feel like crying. I'll be done! Alleluia!
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Chrispea said:

The nurse finally called
    The nurse finally called back this morning. :) She said I sounded good and asked if I had a fever. I said no, and told her that I had one yesterday and what it was, and that I don't have one now and haven't taken any meds since 8pm last night.

She said I sounded good (like not stuffy or sick)

She said I can get chemo as long as I don't have a fever tomorrow morning.

I'm so relieved that I can get my last chemo. Wow, what a milestone. I feel like crying. I'll be done! Alleluia!

Chrispea, that's GREAT!!!
    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Another milestone accomplished. I remember my last chemo and the jubilation I felt at the conclusion. You're getting that much closer to your dance with NED! You go girl!!