I am new here and I have ovarian cancer

Options
rockchicksurvivor
rockchicksurvivor Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Just wanted to say hi and I was diagnosed in July 08 of ovarian cancer stage IIIC. I had surgery shortly after with debulking etc. and had 6 months of chemo and peritoneal chemo then went into remission for almost 8 months. I am currenlty having a reaccurance and doing chemo again w/2 new drugs(clinical trial). I am BRAC1 positive as well. This is a very scary thing and I have very little support! My Dad takes me to all my treatments which are an hour and a half away from our area. He is my angel. :) I do not have my own transportation anymore and it makes things alot harder on me on top of being sick. I just hope I go into remission again very soon. This chemo is harder than the first in alot of ways. I am fatigued alot. Well I am happy to be here and hope to be around for yrs to come!! :) I welcome any responses from other cancer friends and thanks for reading my story. Hugs to all :)

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I can relate! I was diagnosed stage 4, Sept. 08. I did 5 rounds carbo/taxol and 3 rounds IP cispla/taxol. I was in remission for about 8 months and currently being treated with Doxil for my first reoccurence. I've had 3 infusions thus far. I go for a PETscan this Wednesday. The outpatient center where I get chemo is an 1 1/2 hrs away too. I though do not have the transportation problems you have though. What chemo meds have you been on and what are you on now? Are you being treated at a major cancer center? Is that your baby in the picture? I wish you luck!!! My surgeon tells me that BRCA positives usually have better outcomes than those of us who are not BRCA postive. Good luck!
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome, to our discussion
    You look very young in your picture. There are others here that are too. Yes, this is a very scary thing and you are very lucky to have your father for transportation. I think you will be comfortable asking members of this board question that you might not be with your father. We are here to share our experience, love and understanding. I am Stage IV and came out of remission and started chemo again last August. I went back to carboplatin and it knocked the lymph node tumor back again for awhile. (((HUGS))) Saundra
  • veggiegal
    veggiegal Member Posts: 14
    Options
    braca gene
    Hi, I was diagnosed in Oct. 07 with 3-c and had the surgery and same chemo. I am also braca positive and hadn't heard that this was an advantage. Wow, that would be great news. Currently my ca-125 has been rising all year and has gone from 4 to 22 at the last testing. My doctor takes a wait and see attitude and is having me retest each month and will order a pet scan when it gets to 40. I had one in early Dec. when it reached 18 and thank God that it was clean, but my doctor said that often the cancer takes a while to show up on the scans. Mean while I'm trying to stay calm and enjoy each day. I am recntly divorced after 17 years as my husband couldn't handle the stress and wasn't giving me the support that I needed. I have also moved to be closer to my family but don't like living alone. I currently take prozac and see a therapist which seems to help me cope a bit better, but it's still a huge battle. I aways just thought that being braca positive increased my chances of reoccurance and happy that you've heard differently.
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    veggiegal said:

braca gene
    Hi, I was diagnosed in Oct. 07 with 3-c and had the surgery and same chemo. I am also braca positive and hadn't heard that this was an advantage. Wow, that would be great news. Currently my ca-125 has been rising all year and has gone from 4 to 22 at the last testing. My doctor takes a wait and see attitude and is having me retest each month and will order a pet scan when it gets to 40. I had one in early Dec. when it reached 18 and thank God that it was clean, but my doctor said that often the cancer takes a while to show up on the scans. Mean while I'm trying to stay calm and enjoy each day. I am recntly divorced after 17 years as my husband couldn't handle the stress and wasn't giving me the support that I needed. I have also moved to be closer to my family but don't like living alone. I currently take prozac and see a therapist which seems to help me cope a bit better, but it's still a huge battle. I aways just thought that being braca positive increased my chances of reoccurance and happy that you've heard differently.

welcome
    welcome if i can help let me know we are here for you
  • rockchicksurvivor
    Options
    nancy591 said:

Hi
    I can relate! I was diagnosed stage 4, Sept. 08. I did 5 rounds carbo/taxol and 3 rounds IP cispla/taxol. I was in remission for about 8 months and currently being treated with Doxil for my first reoccurence. I've had 3 infusions thus far. I go for a PETscan this Wednesday. The outpatient center where I get chemo is an 1 1/2 hrs away too. I though do not have the transportation problems you have though. What chemo meds have you been on and what are you on now? Are you being treated at a major cancer center? Is that your baby in the picture? I wish you luck!!! My surgeon tells me that BRCA positives usually have better outcomes than those of us who are not BRCA postive. Good luck!

hi
    Hi, yes I am being treated at a cancer center in the city and I am currently getting bevacizumib and pemetrexed. The fist round was carboplatin, taxol, taxotere and cisplatin. The baby in the pic is one of my grandchildren. :) How are you doing? I have had several catscans but no PETscans yet?! Well thanks for all the replies and I hope everyone survives this for a long time to come. hugs to all
  • rockchicksurvivor
    Options
    veggiegal said:

braca gene

ca125
    My ca125 has been a good indicator to show that something was wrong! It was very high when I was first diagnosed and when I knew something was wrong before I knew I was having a reaccurence it started going up again.
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    Welcome to the board we wish didn't have to exist. Prayers N Hugs
  • rosepetalsgalore
    rosepetalsgalore Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I am new here and have ovarian cancer stage IIIC too
    I was diagnosed in June '09. Finished 6 mo. of chemo in Nov '09. Right now, they say I have no signs of cancer. I'm sorry you're having to go through the whole ordeal again. There are no support groups where you live? American Cancer Society provides transportation to and from treatments if you need it. I will pray for you.
  • rockchicksurvivor
    Options

I am new here and have ovarian cancer stage IIIC too
    I was diagnosed in June '09. Finished 6 mo. of chemo in Nov '09. Right now, they say I have no signs of cancer. I'm sorry you're having to go through the whole ordeal again. There are no support groups where you live? American Cancer Society provides transportation to and from treatments if you need it. I will pray for you.

thanks to everyone
    Thank you for welcoming me to the board. I just happened to find it recently and I am glad I did. I wish EVERYONE the best of luck going through your battle with this awful disease and congrats to anyone that goes into remission or is in remission. Hope for the best outcome for all of us! :) Have a great day ladies.