Another lymphadema qustion (help)

Options
sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Since it's Sunday, of course I have a question and I know I won't get my doc on the phone, so...

I have lymphadema - very slightly. The swelling has moved ever so slowly down my arm (since surgery 12/7, lumpectomy, sentinal node). It has landed in my pointer finger and thumb.
My finger is a sausage today, as well as stiff and a little sore. Besides massage, can I do anything else - ice, advil? Is anything recommended?

Thank you!
Sue

Comments

• Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    Possible elevate with
    Possible elevate with massage. Do you have a sleeve?
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Isn't there an 'on call' Dr
    Isn't there an 'on call' Dr you can talk to at your clinic?
  • sbmly53
    Options
    Rague said:

Isn't there an 'on call' Dr
    Isn't there an 'on call' Dr you can talk to at your clinic?

Well, this is something that
    Well, this is something that really hasn't been addressed much - just told precautions. I'm in rads now, still under care of surgeon and haven't seen my primary since pre-op. Just saw pt for the 1st time this week. Don't know who to call.

Sue
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Well, this is something that
    Well, this is something that really hasn't been addressed much - just told precautions. I'm in rads now, still under care of surgeon and haven't seen my primary since pre-op. Just saw pt for the 1st time this week. Don't know who to call.

Sue

Then as you are in rads now
    Then as you are in rads now - call their office (or your surgeon's office) and talk to the 'on call' DR at the clinic (should be someone on call 24/7)- they can give you info as to rather to worry today or who to call if need be. You can also call ER and talk to them.
  • sbmly53
    Options
    Rague said:

Then as you are in rads now
    Then as you are in rads now - call their office (or your surgeon's office) and talk to the 'on call' DR at the clinic (should be someone on call 24/7)- they can give you info as to rather to worry today or who to call if need be. You can also call ER and talk to them.

Thank you. These days, I
    Thank you. These days, I seem to be unable to make decisions...

Sue
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Thank you. These days, I
    Thank you. These days, I seem to be unable to make decisions...

Sue

I was thinking that today. I
    I was thinking that today. I am a nurse and used to alot of independent decisions and yet for myself i feel so anxious. so you are not alone. definately contact someone as stated above and try elevation int he meantime. I go to a PT that specializes in lymphedema treatment and prevention plus she is helping me get on my feet. See if there is someone in your area. good luck.
  • snowbaby1209
    snowbaby1209 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Lymphedema
    The others have had good ideas and I would like to add that you should watch your salt intake (sodium). Also, if you haven't had a referral to a lymphedema therapist, it would be a good idea. They will do decongestion therapy to help move the trapped lymph fluid. They will also teach you self manual lymph drainage and other tools to help you with this. I am also a nurse but sure have had a lot to learn since my diagnosis of breast cancer in December.