OXI question

thready
thready Member Posts: 474
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I just read the post by P_I_T_A. I have had 9 of 12 treatments that all included oxi. I will have treatment #10 starting on Wednesday.

I have concerns with oxi and I have talked with my dr about it. She said the same thing as DJ dr. I am wondering if anyone knows of clinical information that might shed a bit of light about oxi and taking less treatments.

I often think I should push my way through it, and then I have the feet, hand and mouth thing and think I should protect what is left

I will read the responses to DJ's post and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Thanks for the help
Jan

Comments

• Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Different bodies react
    Different bodies react differently to Oxi. Some cruise through and some have to be in the hospital for each treatment. Oxi kills some cancer in one body, but doesn't in another. Everyone has at least a little different situation. Liver mets? Lung mets? Peritoneal lining? Lymph nodes? But whatever the side effects are, they suck for all of us. And we are all worried about the long term damage. The decision to lower the dosage or completely stop depends on the individual.

I had little hope that surgery would be an option for me, but that's what I was asking the Oxi to do - get me to surgery. My Onc lowered the dosage after my platelets went down and I had to skip treatment #8. He told me at the time that statistics show that lowering the dosage after 6 treatments does not change the 2 year survival rate. With the lowered dosage I was able to complete the 12 treatments. I had a good response and now may be a candidate for surgery. My surgeon here at Wake Forest wants me to have another colonoscopy, MRI and PET scan. Fun Fun Fun. I'm feeling pretty aggressive right now; so I can't help but say, "Push through it." But I know the decision really depends on your situation. We're here for you.

I just had to go and check out your picture after treatment # 8 again. You look great.
    Love and sparks,
    Roger
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Every oncologist may give
    Every oncologist may give you different opinion.My husband's oncologist stoped oxi at his 5th treatment because my husband had high fever and it really damaged my husband's fingers badly.The oncologist worries about my husband's post-chemo life because my husband is an engineer who uses his fingers a lot to adjust optics.Some damages from oxi could be permanent and some damages could be reversable,this really depends on each individual and how lucky you are.Anyway wish you all the best.Take care.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Jan, I completed all 12
    Jan, I completed all 12 with Oxi and my neuropathy did worsen a LITTLE after chemo ended but it's now 7 months out and my tongue is back to normal, no more sonic boom in my feet when I bend my neck. My finger TIPS still have neuropathy and my feet feel like I have wet sand in my socks.

I knit. I do needlework (have made almost 50 cross stitch type cross bookmarks in 2 days). I am the phlebotomist for our free medical clinic in our very poor county and use my fingers for that. If it continues to get better......... GREAT! If not, as long as it did the job, I'm happy. :-)
  • jusiver
    jusiver Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jan,
    I am a 4 year

Hi Jan,
    I am a 4 year survivor of stage 3 colon cancer. I did push through 12 of the 14 treatments with a lot of problems with plateletts due to a blood disease I was fighting as well. Anyhow I have severe pain from the neuropathy to this day and have been put on permanent disability. I have tried everything they have on the market nothing has helped and currently take Opana which is a narcotic for pain. Without the pain meds I can barely walk. I have trouble using my hands like trying to hold a book or God forbid try to turn a page in a book. Holding anything cold etc. etc. I don't want to sound all negative because I am alive and like I said I just celebrated my 4th year of remission. So you have weigh it out. It's a tough decision. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
    Judi
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198
    oxi
    My opinion is if your going to go through chemo you might as well play your best hand.
    I got the foot, hand and mouth thing. The severity has gone away after 5 months off chemo. I still have tingling in my hands and pain in my feet but it seems to get a little better each day. Walking is challenging sometimes but I can still use my hands quite well, just ask my wife;)
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Oxi
    Why stop now? Push through and get all your treatments. Chemo sucks, side effects suck, but cancer sucks more. Take care - Tina
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    geotina said:

Oxi
    Why stop now? Push through and get all your treatments. Chemo sucks, side effects suck, but cancer sucks more. Take care - Tina

Thanks everybody
    I think we are going to push this. Only 3 more treatments then we can put a fork in this thing and call it done!!!!

I know several of you are dealing with sever neuropathy and I am not making light of what you are going through but I feel I would rather take my chances with neuropathy then give cancer an opportunity.

Thanks again,
    jan
  • jusiver
    jusiver Member Posts: 2
    thready said:

Thanks everybody
    I think we are going to push this. Only 3 more treatments then we can put a fork in this thing and call it done!!!!

I know several of you are dealing with sever neuropathy and I am not making light of what you are going through but I feel I would rather take my chances with neuropathy then give cancer an opportunity.

Thanks again,
    jan

Jan,
    I agree....if I had it

Jan,
    I agree....if I had it to do over again I would still push through it even with the side effects. I only stopped because I was down to 8 plateletts because of my blood disease and the chemo. You're fighting for your life so give it your all. Stay positive.
    Judi