normal feeling after lumpectomy?

Options
dash4
dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After reading the posts about lymphedema and compression sleeves, I need to ask if I am feeling "normal" after my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy 2/16. Is it normal for the under part of the arm to feel bruised or maybe calling it "numb feeling" would be more accurate. There is nothing to see and not any swelling. I am thinking it is a normal post surgical feeling, but maybe not? What do all of you think? I can call my surgeon and ask,but just curious what it was like for others after a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My only real restriction is no lifting over 10 pounds. So far, I am not really doing much of any lifting, but doing stretching and normal activity. Overall, I feel very good - just getting my arm back to its old self. Thanks for any input....

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    sounds normal
    the standard restrictions for lifting 5 pounds. I am suggesting to follow it for several months.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and feel better soon.
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    Yes
    Yes you are feeling normal. Your underarm may feel numb for several months. Just take it slow and don't try to do too much. Let yourself heel.

Get well soon.

P
  • dash4
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Yes
    Yes you are feeling normal. Your underarm may feel numb for several months. Just take it slow and don't try to do too much. Let yourself heel.

Get well soon.

P

too much thinking...
    Thank you for your replies...I really thought it was normal, but then too much thinking always does get me into trouble with wondering and worrying. Have a good day! Today is my brother's birthday -he lost his battle to lung cancer almost 20 years ago - still missing him so.
    MK
  • jbug
    jbug Member Posts: 285
    Options
    dash4 said:

too much thinking...
    Thank you for your replies...I really thought it was normal, but then too much thinking always does get me into trouble with wondering and worrying. Have a good day! Today is my brother's birthday -he lost his battle to lung cancer almost 20 years ago - still missing him so.
    MK

Hi Mary Kay!
    Your incision is very new and you have a lot of healing to do. Part of the reason your underarm may be numb is because they may have had to move or cut some nerves that give you sensation under your arm. I have a numb spot still and my surgery was in November. Just talked w/my surgeon, in fact, and he said that the sensation might not return. The nerves feed just the skin, though and not the muscle, so probably nothing to worry about. If your arm feels like it's swelling up, even a bit, you may want to mention it.

It would be easy for me to say not to worry, but that would be ridiculous! After diagnosis, it seems I worried about everything! I'm trying hard to not worry...try to keep in mind that God tells us NOT to worry! Each day has enough cares for itself...but that not worrying is a daily battle!

God Bless....
    Julie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    aztec45 said:

Yes

Get well soon.

P

Your underarm may be numb
    Your underarm may be numb for awhile, and, maybe forever. Talk to your doctor about it. And, be sure and do some exercises. Your surgeon should be able to help you in this.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

sounds normal
    the standard restrictions for lifting 5 pounds. I am suggesting to follow it for several months.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery and feel better soon.

I agree that you are feeling
    I agree that you are feeling normal. My restrictions were 10 pounds.

Good luck!
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    Options
    Feeling in arm
    Dash,

The feeling is normal. I had my lumpectomy with the sentinel and 13 other nodes removed Jan. 5, 2010 and my under arm and back of the arm still feel somewhat numb. For sure keep up the arm exercises, it makes a big difference. I still work out my arm daily. The "wall crawl" really works great. If I keep my arm too still I find I have to move it around a bit. I was told by a friend that it took her almost year before her arm actually felt normal. I still get little twings of pain but nothing real bad. I have full range of my arm now, just have to be careful. I had what felt like a large lump in the armpit area at first but that to has also gone way down. I was told by my surgeon that it is normal. I too was concerned. Also, make sure you don't have anything too snug on that arm. Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Wanda
  • dash4
    Options

Feeling in arm
    Dash,

The feeling is normal. I had my lumpectomy with the sentinel and 13 other nodes removed Jan. 5, 2010 and my under arm and back of the arm still feel somewhat numb. For sure keep up the arm exercises, it makes a big difference. I still work out my arm daily. The "wall crawl" really works great. If I keep my arm too still I find I have to move it around a bit. I was told by a friend that it took her almost year before her arm actually felt normal. I still get little twings of pain but nothing real bad. I have full range of my arm now, just have to be careful. I had what felt like a large lump in the armpit area at first but that to has also gone way down. I was told by my surgeon that it is normal. I too was concerned. Also, make sure you don't have anything too snug on that arm. Hope this helps. Hang in there.

Wanda

helping..
    Your comments have all been very helpful...thank you so much.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    dash4 said:

too much thinking...
    MK

I am so sorry about the loss
    I am so sorry about the loss of your brother MK. Sending you a big hug!
  • WJGardner_Dec2009
    WJGardner_Dec2009 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    dash4 said:

too much thinking...
    MK

Brother
    So sorry to hear about your brother. The death of loved one is always with you. I know, I lost by parents nearly 15 years ago, only it was by a drunk driver in a tolen car. My prayers are with you. Take Care
  • dash4
    Options

Brother
    So sorry to hear about your brother. The death of loved one is always with you. I know, I lost by parents nearly 15 years ago, only it was by a drunk driver in a tolen car. My prayers are with you. Take Care

your parents..
    Wanda,
    I am so sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your parents. You have my deepest sympathy. When I was in grade school, my youngest sister was killed by a truck that lost its brakes and ran into the car she was in. I will keep you in my prayers and your parents will always be in them too.
    Take care.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    dash4 said:

helping..
    Your comments have all been very helpful...thank you so much.

My underarm was numb after
    My underarm was numb after surgery and it still is. I was told that it could happen and it could be permanent. I hope yours improves.

Kylez
  • NAN033
    NAN033 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Kylez said:

My underarm was numb after
    My underarm was numb after surgery and it still is. I was told that it could happen and it could be permanent. I hope yours improves.

Kylez

Numbness
    I had surgery Jan and mine armpit is still numb also I am having another problem where the node biospy was there are pieces of thread coming out in three places is this normal? I do get tired of asking about every little thing but you worry.