Liver mets - 2nd opinion (Sloan or Anderson)

Devasted
Devasted Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Does anyone have any experience with Sloan or Anderson they could share?
Heard a lot of good things about Dr. Curly?? As Criag said earlier we
are at a crossroad and aren't sure which way to go. Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    I'm being treated at Wake
    I'm being treated at Wake Forest in Winston-Salem NC. I've finished 12 treatments of FOLFOX and now seems like a good time to get 2nd opinions. We're exploring more chemo, but hopefully I'll have surgery. I'm going to Sloan next week. I'll tell you all about it.
    Take care. Hang in there. Sending you sparks.
    Roger
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Calling Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard...
    I went to Sloan for all of my cancer/chemo related issues and have nothing but high praise for them. I went from not having much hope to be around 6 years after the fact. I am living with cancer but I'm still living and it's a good life indeed. If you have specif questions I'd be more than happy to try to answer them.
  • Doug_B
    Doug_B Member Posts: 27
    PhillieG said:

Calling Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard...
    I went to Sloan for all of my cancer/chemo related issues and have nothing but high praise for them. I went from not having much hope to be around 6 years after the fact. I am living with cancer but I'm still living and it's a good life indeed. If you have specif questions I'd be more than happy to try to answer them.

Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard
    Phil,

Where do those doctors practice? Their names seem familiar.

Thanks,

Doug
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    MSK
    I have been a patient at Memorial Sloan for the past 15 months. I started at MSK via my oncologist and later went on to have colon and liver surgery (my surgery involved 2 different surgical teams).

My first impression of MSK (outpatient facility) was very favorable. It is a clean and bright place and you will feel welcomed from the moment the doorman opens the door until you leave. I am always greeted by name on my doctor's floor by all her staff (from check-in to scheduling to nursing staff to treatment staff). I don't know how they can remember all the names of the patients but it really seems like they do. All in all the staff is very attentive and professional. In particular my oncologist does have a reputation for being somewhat stern (and definitely not huggy/feely) and a couple others on the board (Philieg and ADKer) can concur on that point!

The surgical staff was phenomenal and put me at ease. They never said "we can cure you" but offered an optimistic perspective. The actual stay in the hospital was "great" (as great as major surgery can be...). The staff was fantastic and the facilities themselves were comfortable (food was good as well). The operating theater was absolutely phenomenal.

All-in-all I can't say enough good things about MSK. I am so glad that we chose MSK for my treatment. Even though it's more of a hike for me (about 25 miles and the Hudson River to cross) than the local hospital, I find it very inspiring to be a patient at that facility. When I go for treatment or an appointment the waiting room is filled with almost exclusively colon cancer patients (each floor has a different specialty). I can be pretty much assured that I can start talking to the person next to me and they will be familiar with the colon cancer treatments. And I have met so many people that have done so well with treatments (like the HAI pump) and have far surpassed any prognosis expectations.

If you would like to discuss the hospital any further please PM me and we can arrange a phone call.

All the best to you as you pursue opinions.

Amy
  • pf78248
    pf78248 Member Posts: 209
    M D Anderson experience
    My husband David, dx 4-08 stage 3C, now stage 4 with liver mets, is being treated now at M D Anderson. He was told he wasn't a candidate for resection by two local surgeons but after going to Houston, we found he is a candidate and his resection is scheduled for March 24. It hasn't been an easy journeye to get to this point, but his doctor is now talking the possibility of a cure.

We have had nothing but positive experiences at MDA and wish we had gone there in the beginning. It is most comforting to have an entire team of an oncologist, radiologist, surgeon, dietician and any other doctor you need as part of your own personal team. These doctors truly are experts in colorectal cancer.

We adore and have great faith in our local oncologist, but even he knew at some point it was time to "see the experts".

I know Sloan is excellent as well, as are many others. I'd just for sure go to a "comprehensive cancer center" where you have the total team approach. There are 20 or so across the county.

If you need any more info about MDA, please let me know.

Good luck with you as you battle the beast.

Priscilla
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    mom_2_3 said:

MSK
    I have been a patient at Memorial Sloan for the past 15 months. I started at MSK via my oncologist and later went on to have colon and liver surgery (my surgery involved 2 different surgical teams).

My first impression of MSK (outpatient facility) was very favorable. It is a clean and bright place and you will feel welcomed from the moment the doorman opens the door until you leave. I am always greeted by name on my doctor's floor by all her staff (from check-in to scheduling to nursing staff to treatment staff). I don't know how they can remember all the names of the patients but it really seems like they do. All in all the staff is very attentive and professional. In particular my oncologist does have a reputation for being somewhat stern (and definitely not huggy/feely) and a couple others on the board (Philieg and ADKer) can concur on that point!

The surgical staff was phenomenal and put me at ease. They never said "we can cure you" but offered an optimistic perspective. The actual stay in the hospital was "great" (as great as major surgery can be...). The staff was fantastic and the facilities themselves were comfortable (food was good as well). The operating theater was absolutely phenomenal.

All-in-all I can't say enough good things about MSK. I am so glad that we chose MSK for my treatment. Even though it's more of a hike for me (about 25 miles and the Hudson River to cross) than the local hospital, I find it very inspiring to be a patient at that facility. When I go for treatment or an appointment the waiting room is filled with almost exclusively colon cancer patients (each floor has a different specialty). I can be pretty much assured that I can start talking to the person next to me and they will be familiar with the colon cancer treatments. And I have met so many people that have done so well with treatments (like the HAI pump) and have far surpassed any prognosis expectations.

If you would like to discuss the hospital any further please PM me and we can arrange a phone call.

All the best to you as you pursue opinions.

Amy

thanks for the review..as
    thanks for the review..as you know I will be getting a liver resection March 17th, travelling from chicago!

peggy
  • lmliess
    lmliess Member Posts: 329
    pf78248 said:

M D Anderson experience
    My husband David, dx 4-08 stage 3C, now stage 4 with liver mets, is being treated now at M D Anderson. He was told he wasn't a candidate for resection by two local surgeons but after going to Houston, we found he is a candidate and his resection is scheduled for March 24. It hasn't been an easy journeye to get to this point, but his doctor is now talking the possibility of a cure.

We have had nothing but positive experiences at MDA and wish we had gone there in the beginning. It is most comforting to have an entire team of an oncologist, radiologist, surgeon, dietician and any other doctor you need as part of your own personal team. These doctors truly are experts in colorectal cancer.

We adore and have great faith in our local oncologist, but even he knew at some point it was time to "see the experts".

I know Sloan is excellent as well, as are many others. I'd just for sure go to a "comprehensive cancer center" where you have the total team approach. There are 20 or so across the county.

If you need any more info about MDA, please let me know.

Good luck with you as you battle the beast.

Priscilla

MD Anderson too!
    I had stage 4 colorectal cancer with mets to the liver also. I had my APR surgery last March and my liver resection last April at MD Anderson by Dr Steven Curley. I love MD Anderson from my experience. They really know what they are doing. I go back there every 3 - 4 months now for my scans and bloodwork. It is a 12 hour drive from Kansas but I feel they have the state of the art testing equipment so why not stay with the best. And Dr Curley and his staff if the best, knowledgable and personable. Any questions you can pm me also!

Linda