ZOMETA

Options
gingerandspice
gingerandspice Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was diagnosed the TNBC in September 2008. Lumpectomy with no node involvement. I had 4 chemo sessions with cytoxin and adryamicin plus radiation. I am now on Zometa every 6 months for prevention of bone cancer. Is anyone else receiving Zometa as a preventative?

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Hello, Ginger
    Welcome to the club no sane person would want to join... this board is a wonderfully supportive place to be and hopefully you will come by regularly.

My beloved wife Moopy23 was dxed with TNBC in November 2008. Left radical mastectomy, 6/15 nodes positive, 6 rounds TAC followed by hyperthermic radiation. She's doing great (the actual words of her radiation oncologist on Thursday afternoon) but is very interested in receiving Zometa or another bisphosphonate as preventative against recurrence.

So, I'm sorry to say I don't have any information for you, but both Moopy and I would be very interested in hearing more about your oncologist's decision to put you on Zometa. Because if her regular onc changed his mind and said, "OK, I'll prescribe Zometa," Moopy would be down at the infusion center in two seconds flat.

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Joe
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Aortus said:

Hello, Ginger
    Welcome to the club no sane person would want to join... this board is a wonderfully supportive place to be and hopefully you will come by regularly.

My beloved wife Moopy23 was dxed with TNBC in November 2008. Left radical mastectomy, 6/15 nodes positive, 6 rounds TAC followed by hyperthermic radiation. She's doing great (the actual words of her radiation oncologist on Thursday afternoon) but is very interested in receiving Zometa or another bisphosphonate as preventative against recurrence.

So, I'm sorry to say I don't have any information for you, but both Moopy and I would be very interested in hearing more about your oncologist's decision to put you on Zometa. Because if her regular onc changed his mind and said, "OK, I'll prescribe Zometa," Moopy would be down at the infusion center in two seconds flat.

Joe

Hey Guys
    MY Onc. started me

Hey Guys
    MY Onc. started me on Zometa as soon as I finished rads. He had me take a bone density scan to see if I had any osteoporosis...I had the begining stages...so I'll take an infusion of Zometa once every 6 months for that.It's also to counter the effects of the arimidex that I'll have to take for the next 5 years.I also have to take calcium to build up the bone strength.
  • 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hey Guys
    MY Onc. started me

Hey Guys
    MY Onc. started me on Zometa as soon as I finished rads. He had me take a bone density scan to see if I had any osteoporosis...I had the begining stages...so I'll take an infusion of Zometa once every 6 months for that.It's also to counter the effects of the arimidex that I'll have to take for the next 5 years.I also have to take calcium to build up the bone strength.

I'm interested too
    I have also asked my oncologist about Zometa as a preventative. My oncologist has refused my request because of my negative hormone status. I'd love to know how your oncologist came to that decision. Love surf
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Warm welcome, gingerandspice
    Am not a candidate for Zometa... So, can't share any experience. But...

We're all here to support and encourage each other.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    Aortus said:

Hello, Ginger

Joe

Welcome Ginger!
    Hi Ginger. I am not taking this, but, wish you good luck on it!
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Options
    clinical trials
    My oncologist has be scheduled me to start Zometa this month. I need a bone density scan first, but then it is one treatment every six months for three years. I've had a mastectomy (IDC 3.0, EP++ w/7 positive nodes)chemotherapy and radiation that ended in December. I started tamoxifen in January. She wanted me to get going on Tamoxifen first, then we were going to add the Zometa.

My oncologist has been doing clinical studies on Zometa, Fosamax and Boniva for a while now with regard to how it helps breast cancer patients with bone mets. That is where her perspective comes from and why she puts her patients on Zometa or some kind of bone therapy (if they are a candidate for it) She kind of overwhelmed me with information when we talked about it last, but there has been a lot of research including some that came out in December about the lower incidence of bone mets breast cancer survivors who are on Zometa or other drugs like it. It is my understanding that it is more effective on cancers that are estrogen positive. I'm not supposed to see her until later in the month but if I learn anything new, I'll pass it along.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    mickeymom said:

clinical trials
    My oncologist has be scheduled me to start Zometa this month. I need a bone density scan first, but then it is one treatment every six months for three years. I've had a mastectomy (IDC 3.0, EP++ w/7 positive nodes)chemotherapy and radiation that ended in December. I started tamoxifen in January. She wanted me to get going on Tamoxifen first, then we were going to add the Zometa.

My oncologist has been doing clinical studies on Zometa, Fosamax and Boniva for a while now with regard to how it helps breast cancer patients with bone mets. That is where her perspective comes from and why she puts her patients on Zometa or some kind of bone therapy (if they are a candidate for it) She kind of overwhelmed me with information when we talked about it last, but there has been a lot of research including some that came out in December about the lower incidence of bone mets breast cancer survivors who are on Zometa or other drugs like it. It is my understanding that it is more effective on cancers that are estrogen positive. I'm not supposed to see her until later in the month but if I learn anything new, I'll pass it along.

Thank you, Mickeymom
    Thanks for your reply. Like Surf, I cannot get my oncs to prescribe Zometa as I do not have bone thinning and am not on hormone therapy. Will keep working on it!
  • SusaninKailua
    SusaninKailua Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Zometa
    I was lucky enough to join Southwest Oncology Group sponsored clinical Phase III Trial of Bisphosphonates As Asjuvant Therapy for Primary Breast Cancer. My Dr. wanted me to wait until I completed my Taxol but since the trail was quickly filling up, I started last month. I was randomized into the Zoledronic acid (Zometa) arm and receive it with my chemo. once a month. I will take it monthly for 6 months, then once every 3 months for 2.5 years.

I needed a dental exam, chest x-ray, bone scan (used the ones for the mastectomy) and have a kidney function test before each infusion. I also take additional calcium and vitD daily throughout the trial. I have had two infusions and so far, no side effect.

I'll keep you posted! Interestingly enough, I asked my Dr. if I could get Zometa at a later time, without being in the trail and was told "no" because it was considered "standard of care" (yet) for breast cancer.

FYI: I was diagnosed 10/09, mastectomy, node involvement, AC now doing Taxol, radiation next then tamoxifen.

All the best and much Aloha,
    SusaninKailua