Sleeve and glove causing swelling

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got my sleeve and glove this morning. Sleeve is 'off the shelf' but glove is custom made as I have very short fingers in comparison to width of hand/palm. They felt very good but within about 45 min. there was major swelling in hand and arm where there had been basically none before putting them on. Thinking back I should have turned around and gone back to Ft. Meade but I had a rads appt to get to so I kept going to there. By the time I got there, there was a lot more swelling (even palm was swelling out) and could not 'find' elbow bones. I stopped and talked to Dr. P's nurse on the way in and she called the guy at Ft. Meade (I had called but only go his voice mail) and she got through to him. He told her to have me take them off (had already decided to) as he thought that either I was having an allergic reaction to the material (no itching or redness - just edema) or they were too compressing thus causing swelling (doesn't make sense to me).

Anyway, I can't see him til 8 am Tuesday (he's off til then). He is a certified lymphademologist but has basically no experience with in post mastectomy women - I'm either the 2nd or 3rd woman he's treated. So has this happened to anyone or do ya'll have any ideas fo where I can find info to take with me on Tuesday? So far the only things I've thought of is to suggest that he call other VA's that have more women patients and ask for input or for him to call the lymphadema clinic at the CCI I go to and ask for input.

Ideas/Thoughts - please!

Susan

Comments

• Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    I am post mast
    I am post mast. as well. I have had compression wraps, but I have not gotten gloves and sleeve yet. I HATE the wraps, my arm and hand always feel more swollen and stiff after I take them off. I will be checking back to read the responses. Let us know what happens with you next week.
  • Rague
    Options
    Sharon40 said:

I am post mast
    I am post mast. as well. I have had compression wraps, but I have not gotten gloves and sleeve yet. I HATE the wraps, my arm and hand always feel more swollen and stiff after I take them off. I will be checking back to read the responses. Let us know what happens with you next week.

I haven't wrapped since I
    I haven't wrapped since I got my night sleeve a week ago yesterday. Use it at night and then for about 2 hrs mid day and it's been doing better than wrapping all day. I do a much better job at wrapping than the guy does but it's still VERY 'inconvient' (at best and for lack of a beter word to use).
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Rague said:

I haven't wrapped since I
    I haven't wrapped since I got my night sleeve a week ago yesterday. Use it at night and then for about 2 hrs mid day and it's been doing better than wrapping all day. I do a much better job at wrapping than the guy does but it's still VERY 'inconvient' (at best and for lack of a beter word to use).

Rague Sorry
    I can relate to your pain. I know you probably waited for your sleeve hoping to get relief from bandages. Instead you got more swelling. I have been in similar situation and can understand. You and your lymphedema therapist need to figure out what has happened. You can return your sleeve and glove back and make new measurements. What brand is your sleeve. I tried different ones. You can write me e-mail/PM.
    Good luck,
    New Flower
  • Rague
    Options

Rague Sorry
    I can relate to your pain. I know you probably waited for your sleeve hoping to get relief from bandages. Instead you got more swelling. I have been in similar situation and can understand. You and your lymphedema therapist need to figure out what has happened. You can return your sleeve and glove back and make new measurements. What brand is your sleeve. I tried different ones. You can write me e-mail/PM.
    Good luck,
    New Flower

Juzo
    The day sleeve and glove are by Juzo. My night sleeve is Tribute by solaris. It's been doing pretty good but have had minor swelling in hand/fingers with it but last night I used the very light glove (it's an Isotoner [name is on it] without finger tips and turned inside out so seams are to the outside) he gave me and it did a better overnight - basically no swelling in hand at all this morn. So I'm thinking that he may have ordered too much compression on the day sleeve and glove (I know he ordered a heavy compression). BUT 'it' doesn't make any sense to me how more compression would cause more swelling where the compression is - above or below makes sense but not where is covered. I can't believe that there is an allergic reaction to the material as I don't know of any allergies I have to anything (other than Sulfa and Talwin - both meds) and I had no itching or redness.

He won't be in til Tues. morn and I have an 8 am appt. with him. He seems like a very knowledgable young man but is inexperienced with dealiing with women post mastectomy - I'm the 2nd or 3rd woman he's dealt with - lots of experience with men with leg issues though. I have an appt Mon afternoon with a local health/med supply place to see the prosthesis and bras they order in looking for a better fit than what they had on the shelves so think I'm going to see if they can give me some ideas to take the next morn about sleeve and glove.

Hope I made sense - sometimes my fingers don't type the way I mean for them to LOL.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Rague said:

Juzo
    The day sleeve and glove are by Juzo. My night sleeve is Tribute by solaris. It's been doing pretty good but have had minor swelling in hand/fingers with it but last night I used the very light glove (it's an Isotoner [name is on it] without finger tips and turned inside out so seams are to the outside) he gave me and it did a better overnight - basically no swelling in hand at all this morn. So I'm thinking that he may have ordered too much compression on the day sleeve and glove (I know he ordered a heavy compression). BUT 'it' doesn't make any sense to me how more compression would cause more swelling where the compression is - above or below makes sense but not where is covered. I can't believe that there is an allergic reaction to the material as I don't know of any allergies I have to anything (other than Sulfa and Talwin - both meds) and I had no itching or redness.

He won't be in til Tues. morn and I have an 8 am appt. with him. He seems like a very knowledgable young man but is inexperienced with dealiing with women post mastectomy - I'm the 2nd or 3rd woman he's dealt with - lots of experience with men with leg issues though. I have an appt Mon afternoon with a local health/med supply place to see the prosthesis and bras they order in looking for a better fit than what they had on the shelves so think I'm going to see if they can give me some ideas to take the next morn about sleeve and glove.

Hope I made sense - sometimes my fingers don't type the way I mean for them to LOL.

Class I and II Compression
    I used three Juzo sleeves but eventually I realize that Medi is better fit for me. Most lymphedema patients need either completion I or II. As a night sleeve I have a Jovepack, but it have not met my expectations. I will ask my therapist about yours.
    I hope you will feel better soon.
    New Flower
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Options
    swelling
    I had my arm measured for my sleeve. Maybe ur sleeve is to tight. Do u do exrcises? I try, and I mean try, to do at least an hour of elevation and massage. Hope this helps, cause that much swelling can also cause nerve and muscle problems. Make sure you follow up w ur doc soon. Good luck. Do you wear ur sleeve/glove all the time? I mainly wear mie when working or exercising. I don't sleep in mine. Again good luck. Gayla
  • Rague
    Options
    Here's where 'things' stand
    Here's where 'things' stand now after I saw him the morn (and we had a LONGGG talk).

New day sleeve and glove are ordered with the lightest compression and a couple of adjustments on the glove measurements (hand's 'wierd' and doesn't fit 'off the shelf size' though arm does.) If the lightest isn't enough then we'll get the next level up.

He's quite satisfied with how I'm managing with using the night sleeve and glove at night and for a few hours during the day til we can get the right day sleeve and glove in. If I need more, I can always wrap.

Unless Juzo cannot come with something that works I'm kinda stuck with them - VA has a contract with them.

Sleeve is not too tight, measurements are right on - it's too much compression. After researching, in some ways it doesn't make sense. Too much Compression makes the body think there is trauma, it sends fluid but the nodes in an lymphademic arm can't handle it all so it pools and continues to expotentially get worse. At least that's how I understand it from my reading and talking with a lot of people.